[C320-list] Standing rigging

Scott Westwood

Apr 6, 2022, 10:07:59 AM4/6/22
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
I am looking to replace my standing rigging.  I am in Eastern NC.  I remember hearing somebody mention a place you can send your rigging to and they will copy it then ship it back.
Any experience using Catalina Direct?  Any alternatives out there? Especially local to mid-eastcoast?   I have a rough estimate of $ 3k to 5k  (Dropping and re-raising mast)  Sound about right?
Just beginning to gather specific details.

Thanks,

Scott Westwood scottw...@bellsouth.net C (919)- 819-9794

Mark Hood

Apr 6, 2022, 10:11:27 AM4/6/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
This place is great and reasonable: http://www.riggingonly.com/ Catalina
Direct is only a middle man. Mark Hood #809

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 10:07 AM Scott Westwood <scottw...@bellsouth.net>

Graeme Clark

Apr 6, 2022, 10:19:34 AM4/6/22
to Catalina list
Scott

I cant help as far as specific recommendations for rigging supplies are concerned, but for what its worth, if you are looking to save some money and happy to do some work yourself then you could do as I did; have the yard unstep the mast - theres no great technique or skill required in doing that, any yard should be happy to de-tension the rigging and unstep.
Then strip the old rigging yourself. This is an excellent opportunity to remove the spreaders, clean them, look at the roots and so on, as well as any other re-wiring or changes you might want to make wth lights, radio antenna etc. Don't forget to have a good look at the sheaves in the masthead and see if they are cracked or the central holes have elongated and replace if needed.
Package up rigging and send off to your chosen supplier to return to you, like for like. Attach the rigging to the mast and then engage professional riggers to re-step and tension it all up correctly.
Whilst the mast in unstepped you might also want to look at the step itself, remove it and the compression post and rebed if necessary.
Hope that helps
Graeme
#366, 1996

Steven Snyder

Apr 7, 2022, 10:05:27 AM4/7/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
I have been using Mike Aiken, Northwind Yacht Services in Norfolk Virginia.
Phone number 757-635-0240. Web site is http://Northwind yacht service.com.

I have found them to be honest and do good work.

Steve Snyder
Windcatcher #1101
> --
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt

Steven Snyder

Apr 7, 2022, 10:06:33 AM4/7/22
to C320...@catalina320.com