[C320-list] Interaction between shift and throttle

Kim Chapman

Sep 23, 2021, 5:09:18 PM9/23/21
to C320
As a new owner I am struggling to determine why the engine revs up a
bit when I shift from forward to neutral. Even if I prevent the
throttle lever from moving the engine will still revs up a bit.

I also find the gear shift very "vague" when shifting from forward to
neutral.

I'm thinking the cables may need some lubrication or even replacing.
It's a fresh water boat and the cables appear to be in very good
condition.

Thanks for any guidance on these two issues.

Cheers....

Kim Chapman
C320 #416
No Problem
C400 #249
Quiescence

Bruce Heyman

Sep 23, 2021, 5:42:01 PM9/23/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Kim,
Welcome to the list and to the vessel. When you shift from being in gear to natural the engine rpms will go up. The reason is not because you have changed the throttle, you haven't, it is because the engine is working when it is in gear and not when it is in neutral.

On most boats I find that you do have to wiggle the throttle a little to make sure that it is solidly in neutral. My guess is that you will get quite use to it.
Very best,
Bruce
Somerset, San Pedro

Chris Burti

Sep 23, 2021, 5:51:51 PM9/23/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Agree with Bruce

Best Regards,
Chris Burti
Commitment #867

> On Sep 23, 2021, at 5:42 PM, Bruce Heyman <Bruce...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Kim,

Kim Chapman

Sep 23, 2021, 8:56:14 PM9/23/21
to c320-list
I guess I'm used to the larger diesel on my C400. The RPM's on it do
not change at all when shifting.

As you say, I'll get used to it !

Cheers....

Kim