[C320-list] Water heater replacement

Jamie Pett

May 11, 2021, 7:09:53 PMMay 11
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Hi list - hope everyone is well. So I am tackling a replacement of my hot water heater on Bella Luna and wonder if anyone can provide a bit of guidance. Ordered a replacement unit -same Seaward 6 ga. that is currently in the boat.

Pulled galley cabinet unit, tied hot and cold water lines together as a temp.bypass, and disconnected power.

So original Seaward 6 ga.unit largely disconnected but did not yet pull the heat exchanger lines off. Current question - anticipating when I pull those the coolant from the engine will drain out ? Bigger question is after getting the new unit connected, how do I purge the air out of the coolant loop ?

Oh, and any suggestions on how to get the rear mounting bracket re-fastened?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Jamie Pett
Bella Luna
C-320 # 614

Sent from my iPad
R. JAMES PETT\AIA
Principal

D. 410.646.8301 C.410.446.8515
2811 Dillon Street, Baltimore, MD 21224
E.J...@jp2architects.com

JP2 A R C H I T E C T S

Be well. Be safe. Be Kind.

John Meyers

May 12, 2021, 8:41:04 AMMay 12
to C320...@catalina320.com
Jamie,

I did this a couple years ago.

Good on the bypass. But I disconnected the end of one hose from the engine
and allowed fluid to drain into a pan. Then I took off the other hose from
the engine. Putting a plastic bag over one end and punching a hole in the
bag I blew out any fluid remaining.

Obviously , there are some plumbing and other stuff that needs to be
removed such as electrical.

There should be enough hose between the engine and heater that when you
start to pull it out and you can disconnect hoses from heater.

Getting the old heater out is somewhat cumbersome with lifting and twisting
but not a huge deal. Same for putting the new one in.

While the heater was out I replaced the hoses from the engine to heater as
they were over 21 years old. This was not a big problem as the cubby below
the oven can be removed to give hand access to the hoses to direct them
from A to B.

Hope this helps.

John Meyers
Wind Chime #406
Muskegon, MI

John Meyers

May 12, 2021, 9:07:13 AMMay 12
to C320...@catalina320.com
Jame,

One more thing..... Keep the coolant from the hose, if you want to anyway,
to be replaced after the new heater is connected. There might be a quart or
two. Run the engine for a couple minutes and the engine coolant level
should go down so you can add the old or new coolant. This may take a
couple cycles to get all the air out of the new lines etc and to get the
coolant all back in.

As far as the reattaching the rear bracket - I don't remember that being a
problem. As a disclaimer - "Your experience may be different."

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

John Meyers

Jamie Pett

May 21, 2021, 9:26:34 AMMay 21
to C320...@catalina320.com
John - Thanks for the help. Replacing the hoses sounds like a good idea - do you recall what length you needed ?

So the heater hoses are the closed engine loop, correct ? After the replacement I assume you just top off the coolant ?

Jamie Pett
JP2 Architects

Be well. Be safe. Be kind.

R. JAMES PETT \ AIA
Principal

D. 410.646.8301
C. 410.446.8515
www.JP2architects.com
> On May 12, 2021, at 9:07 AM, John Meyers <jcme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jame,

Hans Dose

May 21, 2021, 11:54:55 AMMay 21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Jamie,

I bought 44 feet of 5/8” Shields 250 Series ShieldsFlex II Exhaust / Water Hose, w/Wire SKU 533111 from Go2Marine.com
It was $4.58 per foot a couple months ago and was right amount for the hoses to water heater, the loop in the lazarette, and from the sea strainer to the raw water pump. I also changed out the two short bits of hose on the front of the water heater that connect to the fresh water system (I don’t recall the size). I’m glad I did because those two were bulging and disintegrating from the inside.

If you haven’t changed out the coolant in a long time, it might be a good time to drain it from the engine while replacing lines and start with a fresh fluid. It does break down over time. I also removed the overflow tank and cleaned out the brownish sediment at the bottom.

Hans Dose
C-320 “King’s X”
1999 hull 569
Alamitos Bay, Long Beach, CA

> On May 21, 2021, at 6:26 AM, Jamie Pett <JP...@jp2architects.com> wrote:
>
> John - Thanks for the help. Replacing the hoses sounds like a good idea - do you recall what length you needed ?

Jamie Pett

May 23, 2021, 6:20:54 PMMay 23
to C320...@catalina320.com
Thanks for the assistance. I am struggling mightily. Got the old heater out but decided it would be the moment to drain and replace the motor coolant. Got it drained but cannot find replacement Yanmar coolant - anyone know where that can be found in the Annapolis area ?

Sent from my iPad

Be well. Be safe. Be kind.

R. JAMES PETT \ AIA
Principal

> On May 21, 2021, at 9:26 AM, Jamie Pett <JP...@jp2architects.com> wrote:
>
> John - Thanks for the help. Replacing the hoses sounds like a good idea - do you recall what length you needed ?

> So the heater hoses are the closed engine loop, correct ? After the replacement I assume you just top off the coolant ?
>
> Jamie Pett
> JP2 Architects

KEN GEIGER

May 23, 2021, 7:39:38 PMMay 23
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jamie Pett, C320...@catalina320.com
I am just in the process of doing this along with changing 21 year old hoses to hot water heater.  Hope this link helps.
See  https://c320.org/ar,ticle.php/20060212151611361/print

Sent from the all-new AOL app for Android

On Sun., 23 May 2021 at 18:20, Jamie Pett<JP...@jp2architects.com> wrote: Thanks for the assistance. I am struggling mightily. Got the old heater out but decided it would be the moment to drain and replace the motor coolant. Got it drained but cannot find replacement Yanmar coolant - anyone know where that can be found in the Annapolis area ?

Joe Luciano

May 23, 2021, 10:36:23 PMMay 23
to C320...@catalina320.com
Jamie,

There is nothing magical about boat engine coolant for a diesel engine. You don’t need Yanmar brand coolant, not sure they even have a branded coolant. I use the Prestone Dex-Cool, orange stuff. It comes pre-mixed 50-50 or you can buy it full strength and mix it 50-50 with distilled water. You can get a gallon for $14 at any autoparts store. The difficult part is going to be getting all of the air out of the system. Search the site for a thread on that procedure. Best of luck.

Joe Luciano
Second Wind #1044

Hans Dose

May 23, 2021, 11:40:13 PMMay 23
to C320...@catalina320.com
Here is the correct link I believe Ken was trying to send:
https://c320.org/article.php/20060212151611361/

The important thing to remember is if you are changing FROM the ethylene
glycol (green) antifreeze TO the Dexcool-type Extended Life Antifreeze
(Orange colored ex. Prestone 5yr/150000mi), the complete flushing of the
system multiple times to rid the system of the green type is crucial so
that it doesn't coagulate. They don't mix!

I left the ethylene glycol (green) antifreeze in my system instead of
switching.

KEN GEIGER

May 24, 2021, 6:35:43 AMMay 24
to C320...@catalina320.com, Hans Dose, C320...@catalina320.com

Thanks Hans.  Yes that's the article I was trying to link to.
Ken
Sent from the all-new AOL app for Android

Troy Dunn

May 24, 2021, 7:20:40 AMMay 24
to C320...@catalina320.com
Jamie-

This is what Mack Boring AND Yanmar recommend for your engine you can get
it shipped to you in a day.

https://www.amazon.com/Havoline-Xtended-Antifreeze-Coolant-Pre-mix/dp/B0015UCQHY/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3FO2UWKSKSDHG&dchild=1&keywords=havoline+extended+life+coolant&qid=1621854941&sprefix=havoline+extended%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-2

If you decide to go a different route just make sure you are using the
orange stuff which is typically an OAT coolant. These coolants are
formulated with additives that protect your engine from corrosion
(inhibitors). Others will say that the color etc. doesn't matter. It's
your boat...choices...

Regards-

Troy Dunn
Hull #514

John Morrison

May 24, 2021, 8:52:15 AMMay 24
to C320...@catalina320.com
You don’t need special coolant. The modern antifreeze coolants mix with just about any coolant out there. I use Prestone premixed so I don’t have to add water. I usually drain the coolant out of the engine, easy to do, but not the water heater, harder to do. I do this every few years so that the coolant gradually gets replaced.
Regards
JohnM
1999#574

Sent from my iPhone

Doug Treff

May 24, 2021, 9:48:52 AMMay 24
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Jamie,

I can't help with sources, other than Amazon, (I assume you've tried BayShore, Fawcetts, West Marine).

What I do know is that Yanmar has published a list of satisfactory alternatives, linked below from the C320 site. However, If you switch brands, you will need to do a super flush (many flushes with fresh water to get the remnants of the old stuff out).

The Service Bulletins - Scroll down to page 4 for the coolant info
https://www.c320.org/filemgmt_data/files/yanmar_bulletins.pdf

Also available on the C320 site is a procedure for properly flushing the engine:
https://c320.org/article.php/20060212151611361

--
Doug Treff
do...@treff.us

John Beck

May 24, 2021, 9:55:44 AMMay 24
to C320...@catalina320.com
What color was it? Coolant isn’t rocket science. If it had green put green
back in. If it had orange put orange, even though I wouldn’t put it in
anything, You have cast iron head and cast iron block very little aluminum.
Go to advance or auto zone don’t pay “ marine” prices.
--
Jb

jackbrennan

May 24, 2021, 10:19:14 AMMay 24
to C320...@catalina320.com
My official Yanmar coolant is orange ...Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320Tierra Verde, Fl.Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: John Beck <jbe...@gmail.com> Date: 5/24/21 8:55 AM (GMT-06:00) To: C320...@catalina320.com Subject: Re: [C320-list] Water heater replacement now coolant..... What color was it? Coolant isn’t rocket science. If it had green put greenback in. If it had orange put orange, even though I wouldn’t put it inanything, You have cast iron head and cast iron block very little aluminum.Go to advance or auto zone don’t pay “ marine” prices.On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 9:48 AM Doug Treff <do...@treff.us> wrote:> Jamie,>> I can't help with sources, other than Amazon, (I assume you've tried> BayShore, Fawcetts, West Marine).>> What I do know is that Yanmar has published a list of satisfactory> alternatives, linked below from the C320 site. However, If you switch> brands, you will need to do a super flush (many flushes with fresh water to> get the remnants of the old stuff out).>> The Service Bulletins - Scroll down to page 4 for the coolant info> https://www.c320.org/filemgmt_data/files/yanmar_bulletins.pdf>> Also available on the C320 site is a procedure for properly flushing the> engine:> https://c320.org/article.php/20060212151611361>> --> Doug Treff> do...@treff.us>> On Sun, May 23, 2021, at 6:20 PM, Jamie Pett wrote:> > Thanks for the assistance. I am struggling mightily. Got the old heater> > out but decided it would be the moment to drain and replace the motor> > coolant. Got it drained but cannot find replacement Yanmar coolant -> > anyone know where that can be found in the Annapolis area ?> >> >> >> > Sent from my iPad> >> >> > Be well. Be safe. Be kind.> >> > R. JAMES  PETT  \ AIA> > Principal> >> >  D. 410.646.8301> > C. 410.446.8515> > www.JP2architects.com> > > On May 21, 2021, at 9:26 AM, Jamie Pett <JP...@jp2architects.com>> wrote:> > >> > > John - Thanks for the help. Replacing the hoses sounds like a good> idea - do you recall what length you needed ?> > >> > > So the heater hoses are the closed engine loop, correct ? After the> replacement I assume you just top off the coolant ?> > >> > > Jamie Pett> > > JP2 Architects> > >> > >> On May 12, 2021, at 9:07 AM, John Meyers <jcme...@gmail.com> wrote:> > >>> > >> Jame,> > >>> > >> One more thing.....  Keep the coolant from the hose, if you want to> anyway,> > >> to be replaced after the new heater is connected. There might be a> quart or> > >> two. Run the engine for a couple minutes and the engine coolant level> > >> should go down so you can add the old or new coolant. This may take a> > >> couple cycles to get all the air out of the new lines etc and to get> the> > >> coolant all back in.> > >>> > >> As far as the reattaching the rear bracket - I don't remember that> being a> > >> problem. As a disclaimer - "Your experience may be different."> > >>> > >> If I think of anything else I'll let you know.> > >>> > >> John Meyers> > >>> > >>>> On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 8:40 AM John Meyers <jcme...@gmail.com>> wrote:> > >>>> > >>> Jamie,> > >>>> > >>> I did this a couple years ago.> > >>>> > >>> Good on the bypass. But I disconnected the end of one hose from the> engine> > >>> and allowed fluid to drain into a pan. Then I took off the other> hose from> > >>> the engine. Putting a plastic bag over one end and punching a hole> in the> > >>> bag I blew out any fluid remaining.> > >>>> > >>> Obviously , there are some plumbing and other stuff that needs to be> > >>> removed such as electrical.> > >>>> > >>> There should be enough hose between the engine and heater that when> you> > >>> start to pull it out and you can disconnect hoses from heater.> > >>>> > >>> Getting the old heater out is somewhat cumbersome with lifting and> > >>> twisting but not a huge deal. Same for putting the new one in.> > >>>> > >>> While the heater was out I replaced the hoses from the engine to> heater as> > >>> they were over 21 years old. This was not a big problem as the cubby> below> > >>> the oven can be removed to give hand access to the hoses to direct> them> > >>> from A to B.> > >>>> > >>> Hope this helps.> > >>>> > >>> John Meyers> > >>> Wind Chime #406> > >>> Muskegon, MI> > >>>> > >>> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 7:09 PM Jamie Pett <JP...@jp2architects.com>> > >>> wrote:> > >>>> > >>>> Hi list - hope everyone is well.  So I am tackling a replacement of> my> > >>>> hot water heater on Bella Luna and wonder if anyone can provide a> bit of> > >>>> guidance. Ordered a replacement unit -same Seaward 6 ga.  that is> currently> > >>>> in the boat.> > >>>>> > >>>> Pulled galley cabinet unit, tied hot and cold water lines together> as a> > >>>> temp.bypass, and disconnected power.> > >>>>> > >>>> So original Seaward 6 ga.unit largely disconnected but did not yet> pull> > >>>> the heat exchanger lines off.  Current question - anticipating when> I pull> > >>>> those the coolant from the engine will drain out ? Bigger question> is after> > >>>> getting the new unit connected, how do I purge the air out of the> coolant> > >>>> loop ?> > >>>>> > >>>> Oh, and any suggestions on how to get the rear mounting bracket> > >>>> re-fastened?> > >>>>> > >>>> Any advice appreciated. Thanks.> > >>>>> > >>>> Jamie Pett> > >>>> Bella Luna> > >>>> C-320 # 614> > >>>>> > >>>> Sent from my iPad> > >>>> R. JAMES  PETT\AIA> > >>>> Principal> > >>>>> > >>>> D. 410.646.8301 C.410.446.8515> > >>>> 2811 Dillon Street, Baltimore, MD 21224> > >>>> E.J...@jp2architects.com> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>> JP2 A R C H I T E C T S> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>> Be well. Be safe. Be Kind.> > >>>>> > >>>> >>-- Jb

Jamie Pett

May 25, 2021, 2:59:15 PMMay 25
to C320...@catalina320.com, c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Doug / List - Thanks for all the help. Found the coolant. I am not up for full flush on the cooling system, so staying with the original spec.

For anyone interested - 'Bayshore Marine Engine Services' in Annapolis carries the Yanmar coolant. It can be bought on-line from others also, but long delivery times currently.

Its about $25 a gallon, and pre-mixed so higher cost. They are at 410-263-8370 and an excellent source for all things Yanmar.

- Jamie

Be well. Be safe. Be kind.

R. JAMES PETT \ AIA
Principal

May 25, 2021, 5:11:54 PMMay 25
to C320...@catalina320.com
In the south end of the Chesapeake Bay, the Atlantic Yacht Basin in
Chesapeake, VA also has the Yanmar coolant. If on the ICW, they are at
about the 12 mile point.

Steve Snyder
Windcatcher, # 1101