[C320-list] 320 Interior Wood Stain Color

Clay Carter

Sep 18, 2021, 5:58:07 PM9/18/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hello: Anybody have input about color/brand details for touch up wood stain for 1995?

Thank you.

Clay Carter
#225 We’ll Sea
Alamitos Bay, CA

Kim Chapman

Sep 19, 2021, 10:28:44 AM9/19/21
to c320-list
Except for the ash strips that are used to line the outer hull in the
main salon and state rooms, all of the teak is natural and simply
finished with a clear urethane. I believe Catalina used/uses Bristol
Classic clear. This is a water based urethane. To refinish or touch up
the teak you need to lightly sand with 220 grit and re-finish with one
or two coats of urethane.

I believe the ash strips are stained. If you sand to aggressively then
re-staining will be needed to maintain an even colour. Then finish with
the urethane.

Good luck.

Kim Chapman
C320 #416
No Problem

C400 #300
Quiescence

Clay Carter

Sep 19, 2021, 11:04:28 AM9/19/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Thank you Kim.

Clay Carter

> On Sep 19, 2021, at 7:28 AM, Kim Chapman <kim.c...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>  Except for the ash strips that are used to line the outer hull in the

Frank Yaskin

Sep 20, 2021, 12:56:26 PM9/20/21
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com

Clay Carter

Hello: Anybody have input about color/brand details for touch up wood stain for 1995?<<<<<<

Well, yes, its Target Coatings EM2000wvx. Either from Target Coatings themself or Catalina Direct:

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-34/hull-deck/maintenance/varnish-satin-interior-1995-to-2001-pint/

https://www.catalinadirect.com/interior-finish-history/

F. Yaskin
Blue Canute 1996 #380

Clay Carter

Sep 20, 2021, 1:03:46 PM9/20/21
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com, C320...@catalina320.com
Thanks Frank.  I have noted that areas with the varnish worn down to wood are very white/gray and the varnished areas are very golden/more yellow/orange in color.  Did Catalina just apply varnish or did they first stain the wood then varnish?

“Be kind,for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” ~Plato

Jeff Hare

Sep 21, 2021, 3:14:29 PM9/21/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Absolutely. This is a super easy job with this water based sealer. Here are my suggestions for great results.

- Lightly sand with 320 grit sand paper (and a flat block if doing flat surfaces).
- Remove all the dust with a slightly damp cloth (don't worry about slightly raising the grain).
- Stir super well because the off-white sediment is the gloss flattener.
- Pour out of the can through a paper cone paint strainer into a small plastic re-sealable container like the Tupperware-ish kind of container. Don't skip this step and you can rinse out the paper strainer to reuse.
- Buy a Good quality Brush for water based stain/sealers. Seriously Do Not Use a Foam Brush. :)
- Apply light coats. It dries so quickly and self-levels, you can easily apply 4-6 coats in one afternoon. You can apply an additional coat in as little as 30 min. if you try to avoid hot/cold or humid weather when doing this. Just seal the plastic container, rinse out the brush with water pretty well and have another go after a little delay.
- I like to do a quick wipe over of the surface with 400 grit sandpaper between coats. This knocks off any nibs/dust that might have formed.

Tips:
- Always run the brush with the grain. You won't see brush marks as long as you keep the coats light go with the grain, and don't go back and "touch up". Just wait for the next coat which will bind nicely to the previous coat and blend in and level itself.
- If the surface you're going to refinish looks like there are dark areas from water or sun damage (frequently seen in the woodwork by the aft cabin door and around the companionway, take a little extra time and sand to the wood. This isn't as difficult as it might sound, the sealer is thin and you'll get down to clean wood in those spots really quickly.
- It's common to see black wood around the screws on the trim pieces below the windows. Just remove the strips and sand those areas until the black is gone and brush on the sealer and they'll look like brand new and match nicely.
- Just keep the coats light and move quickly.

This job is so easy with this sealer, you might be tempted to touch up whenever you happen to have an hour or so to kill. The fiddles around the sink/stove/fridge, the engine cover and trim will look fantastic with only a little time spent.

Jeff Hare

Tim Hoffert

Sep 21, 2021, 4:16:24 PM9/21/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I refinished my stairs with the EM2000wvx last winter and they turned out
great. It's very easy to use and very quick to recoat. I put 7 coats on
the stairs and finished the same day. After a full season of abuse, they
still look great.

I agree with everything Jeff stated. I learned a few additional tips along
the way I thought I'd share:

-Somewhere in a previous thread, it was suggested to mix an additive to the
varnish called "Cross Linker" for added durability. I contacted Target
Coatings directly and he recommended against adding it for this
application. I didn't add it. So far, there is no indication of any
pealing or other durability issues.
-The instructions that come with the cans when you buy them from Catalina
Direct (also available on the CD website for viewing) discuss reducing the
varnish with a higher percentage of distilled water to act as a penetrating
sealer for the first few coats, then lowering the water percentage or
applying full strength in later coats. I followed this advice and believe
it worked well. Much of the first coat absorbs into the wood this way, and
you really don't start seeing great results until after several coats, so
plan on many thin coats.
-The semi gloss finish cures more clear than the satin finish. After many
coats, the manufacturer says the satin may look a little cloudy. I'm not
sure how big of an issue it becomes, but to help counter this, I used semi
gloss for the first 5 coats, then switched to satin for the top coats.
They did not seem cloudy at all and the two coats of satin knocked the
shine down nicely.

I used the same semi gloss product to refinish my oak kitchen table at
home. I applied 9 coats in a single day. The family has been using the
table daily since January and it looks like it did the day I finished!

Tim Hoffert
Adagio, 1999 #612

wd...@aol.com

Sep 23, 2021, 6:07:57 AM9/23/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Tim and Jeff-
Is the EM2000wvx finish suitable for the cabin sole?

Thanks,
Bill McConnellDiversion, 2000, #714

wd...@aol.com

Sep 23, 2021, 6:17:59 AM9/23/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Feeling "the need for speed!"  I have a fixed 3-blade propeller. Considering replacing this with a folding or feathering prop to gain a little speed for casual Wed nite racing without sacrificing too much performance under power.
Also looking to purchase a used 150-155% headsail...no matches yet at Bacon Sails or on eBay.
Anyone have recommendations/observations?
Thank you,
Bill McConnellDiversion, 2000, #714

Doug Treff

Sep 23, 2021, 9:11:03 AM9/23/21
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Bill,

I have no recommendations on the prop, but I recently bought a brand new factory sail from Masthead Sailing Gear in Florida. He had an inventory of brand new sails for the C320. I have no idea what's left, but you should email him and ask.

His name is Paul and he can be reached at mast...@mastheadsailinggear.com

They do have a website but the inventory section is not current. Best to just email him.

--
Doug Treff
do...@treff.us

Jack Brennan

Sep 23, 2021, 9:33:42 AM9/23/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Bill:

I would check out several of the web sites that sell new sails specifically for Catalinas. The Rolly Tasker sails are known to be decent. In my experience, they are not that much more than used sails once you get away from Catalina Direct, North Sails, etc.

The dirty secret in sailmaking is that many of the lofts no longer make their own sails. They order Asian sails, then maybe do some customization, or maybe not. You can cut out the middleman and save some big bucks by buying online.

Many years ago, I bought Rolly Tasker sails for a Catalina 25 to fit on my C&C 25. They sold for a couple hundred more than used sails and worked great.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sep 23, 2021, 12:34:30 PM9/23/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Bill,

I installed a Gori 3 blade feathering prop about 10 years ago. It replaced the standard 2 blade fixed prop that came with the boat. It added about a 1/2 knot to my speed in a good breeze under sail. It also reduced the prop walk considerably while in reverse. There is a bit of extra maintenance in that there are two prop zincs that have to be replaced when changing the shaft zinc. In addition, at haul out, I use lanolin grease on the gears to maintain the smooth movement. It’s been a good prop for me…….

Joe Luciano
Second Wind

Scott Thompson

Sep 23, 2021, 12:44:53 PM9/23/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Joe, I think you mean you have a folding prop. Gori does not make
feathering props.
--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653

islg...@aol.com

Sep 23, 2021, 12:57:46 PM9/23/21
to C320...@catalina320.com, Scott Thompson
Give Percision Sails a call +1 888-958-5638. I have found them to be reasonable and great customer service.
Rich Nuzzolo Barbara Rita 897

Sent from the all new AOL app for Android

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 12:44 PM, Scott Thompson<surp...@thompson87.com> wrote: Joe, I think you mean you have a folding prop. Gori does not make

Joe Luciano

Sep 23, 2021, 2:49:13 PM9/23/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Yep. Folding prop.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 23, 2021, at 9:45 AM, Scott Thompson <surp...@thompson87.com> wrote:
>
> Joe, I think you mean you have a folding prop. Gori does not make feathering props.

John Morrison

Sep 23, 2021, 6:32:07 PM9/23/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I have had some experience with propellers on my boat. I changed out the Michigan prop for a Flex O Fold ( a well regarded prop) and it was a disaster, vibrated at most revs except at around 2000. I changed that one out for a Campbell Sailor 14x9x1 three blade fixed. These are one of the lowest drag fixed propellers on the market. No vibration and delivers good thrust in a seaway.
JohnM
1999#574

Sent from my iPhone