[C320-list] Mystery wire

Ken McCrimmon

Apr 12, 2021, 12:19:25 PMApr 12
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi. I was looking up at the back of Kia Ora on the weekend (she is on the hard for winter), when I noticed for the first time, a wire coming out of the stern rail under the corner seat. The same wire was coming out from under the seat on the opposite side. When I looked closely, the wire was two strand and quite heavy duty.

Are these standard on Catalina's and does anybody know what they are for.
I have a different wire for my stern light and my GPS antenna, so i know they are not for that.

Ken
Kia Ora
Midland, Ont

Richard Walker

Apr 12, 2021, 12:35:19 PMApr 12
to C320...@catalina320.com
I think they were prewiring for cockpit speakers.

Dick Walker
WindWalker II #687
740 Olive Ave.
Coronado, CA 92118
619.435.8986

Rick Smith

Apr 12, 2021, 12:41:25 PMApr 12
to C320...@catalina320.com
I have audio speakers mounted under my stern seats -- because they are old,
they are wired and not wireless -- perhaps at one time your boat had
speakers too?

Rick Smith
Layla #136
Lake Lanier, GA

Apr 12, 2021, 2:24:32 PMApr 12
to 320
Dick is correct (may also be used for lighting) If you crawl down in the
aft locker on the port side you can easily find the other short ends.
Catalina was extremely thoughtful in that it can be almost impossible to
run these wires without removing the stern rail assembly. Navpod used to
sell a high end pod /speaker combo that mounted under the seats. I've got
an LED flood light that I'm planning to mount for nighttime dinghy
boarding.

Fair Winds,
Chris Burti
Commitment #867