[C320-list] Bilge float switch

David Prudden

May 11, 2022, 12:10:55 PM5/11/22
to C320 Discussion List
I’m in the process of replacing the float switch in the bilge. The wire that comes with the new switch (and the wire in the dead switch) are 14 gauge wire but the pump wiring I think is 8 gauge. Is this ok to have 2 different sizes?? I always thought they had to be the same size.

Thanks,
David Prudden
#787, Teachers Pet II

Sent from my iPhone

Mark Cole

May 11, 2022, 12:22:35 PM5/11/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
Dave;

Two different gauges are ok. The light gauge is just the switch leg. The heavy gauge is the power leg. There is much less current running through the switch leg.

Mark
Fiddler’s Green #8
Sent from my iPad

> On May 11, 2022, at 9:10 AM, David Prudden <dpru...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> I’m in the process of replacing the float switch in the bilge. The wire that comes with the new switch (and the wire in the dead switch) are 14 gauge wire but the pump wiring I think is 8 gauge. Is this ok to have 2 different sizes?? I always thought they had to be the same size.

Stephen Cox

May 11, 2022, 1:31:15 PM5/11/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
That is correct assuming the float switch is driving a relay. Not so true if it is wired in series with the pump. Never the less, if it is wired in series and the leads on the switch are only a foot long then the 14 gauge should more than fine.

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141

Joe Geiger

May 19, 2022, 12:41:50 PM5/19/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
We have decided to put Vega on the market and retire from sailing for the time being. If anyone on this list is interested or knows someone who is looking for a C320 feel free to download the sell sheet here <https://www.dropbox.com/s/opzqkm4n5m2sb8x/Vega%20Sell%20Sheet%20V2.pdf?dl=0> or reply with your email and I’ll send it to you.

Joe

Joe Geiger
Vega #722
Greenwich Cove, RI

Richard Walker

May 19, 2022, 12:46:16 PM5/19/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
Verry nice listing
Dick Walker
WindWalker II #687
740 Olive Ave.
Coronado, CA 92118
619.435.8986

Cheryl Dahl

May 21, 2022, 2:17:18 PM5/21/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hello everyone,
I am replacing all my original electronics and navpod on my boat .
I purchased a new angled pedestal guard and larger navpod from defender and
have mounted the new instruments and chart plotter. I also purchased the
new mounting feet for the pedestal guard from CD .
I haven’t yet attempted to remove the old guard yet. It looks like it will
come out by removing the two set screws and sliding it up . Does anyone in
the group have experience with this ? I am a newer 320 owner and group
member.
I enjoy reading all the discussions and advice.
Thanks
Steve Dahl
Sans Souci

Graeme Clark

May 21, 2022, 3:31:04 PM5/21/22
to Catalina list
Steve

Correct - the screws fit into holes in the bottom of the guard. Once fully removed it will slide up. Possibly any excess sealant etc will make it hard to get started of course. Obviously your old instrumentation and power wires will be running down through the guard. The mounting feet can then be removed and are secured with screws into the deck

Graeme Clark