[C320-list] Hoisting Main and Jib

Ken McCrimmon

May 24, 2021, 2:11:00 PMMay 24
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi
My brother and I were putting the main and jib sails on yesterday for the first time. After a little trial and error, we got it working right, we hope.

Both main and jib are self-furling. My brother and I have no experience putting sails up for the first time with self-furling.

One thing we could not figure out is why it got so hard to raise the sail when reaching the top. I am not a small guy and I had to really heave on the halyard to get them up.

Is that normal with self-furling, the more sail you put in the hard it gets. Or should I be looking for another problem

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Ken

Dave Hupe

May 24, 2021, 3:57:10 PMMay 24
to C320...@catalina320.com
Make sure you have the mainsheet fairly loose, otherwise the boom is putting pressure on the head of the sail as you try to hoist it.  Also make sure the boom vang is loose.
Dave Hype1994 C320 (#32)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 2:10 PM, Ken McCrimmon<kenmcc...@hotmail.com> wrote: Hi

David Veeneman

May 24, 2021, 4:07:16 PMMay 24
to C320 Assn Forum
When hoisting the main, loosen the boom vang, the main sheet, and the jiffy-reefing line. Also, check the jiffy-reefing line where it runs through the sail to make sure it gives freely. Any one of these can keep the mainsail from raising properly.

--
David Veeneman
SV Adelante, C320 #131