[C320-list] Question on MMSI Numbers

Tom Grass

Mar 19, 2021, 3:59:21 PM3/19/21
to C320...@catalina320.com, Tracy Grass
This is my (lately) daily request for information from the forum. When we
purchased Bucket List in 2017 - it already had an MMSI number assigned to
it - from the previous owner - we asked the PO to transfer the number to
us.

My question is - this number was obtained thru Boat US - as such it cannot
be used outside the US ... is it possible to have the MMSI number
re-registered to the FCC so it could be used in Canada and the Bahamas? If
not - is the only alternative to take out a new number (or just not use DSC
when out of the US?)

Thanks all!

Tom Grass
Bucket List # 1135
2008 Catalina 320 MK II

Dave Hupe

Mar 19, 2021, 5:05:02 PM3/19/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
You must obtain a new number (it will end in zero) and reprogram your radio as per this Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) | BoatUS

| | |

| |
Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI)

MMSI is a nine-digit number assigned to a marine radio & transfers your registration information to the U.S. Coa...

I think it costs $160 to do this when I looked into it last year to obtain my number.
Are you sure the previous owner transferred the MMSI to you?  The BoatUS instructions say that you should have received an email with instructions on how to claim/transfer the number (should involve changing to your name and boat info).
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32)

Graeme Clark

Mar 19, 2021, 5:40:43 PM3/19/21
to Catalina list
Your MMSI number is international. it will contain a few digits that identify the country of registration so should more details be required, enquiries can be made of the appropriate national registry/authority

If that wasn't the case, no DSC ship or boat could ever make an international journey!

You can get the MMSI of your radio re-programmed but you will usually need to return it to a dealer to have it done.

It should be tied in with the registration of the vessel. So if you buy a boat in USA but live in Canada and re-register it in Canada you would need to have a Canadian MMSI number

Hope this helps

Graeme

Graeme Clark

Mar 19, 2021, 5:45:38 PM3/19/21
to Catalina list

Chris Burti

Mar 19, 2021, 6:38:21 PM3/19/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I believe that the answer to this is found on the Boat US website

Best Regards,
Commitment #867
Chris Burti

> On Mar 19, 2021, at 5:45 PM, Graeme Clark <c...@skyflyer.co.uk> wrote:
>
> This may be helpful

pto...@4square.net

Mar 19, 2021, 6:44:56 PM3/19/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Not sur BUT I think that IF you register with Boat US their numbers are US
only

Pat Tormey
Blue Skies s/v
Newport, RI USA

Jeff Smith

Mar 22, 2021, 9:15:17 PM3/22/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
On my boat I was able to reprogram my MMSI in my VHF myself. I requested my MMSI through BoatUS. As others have noted, if you get your MMSI through BoatUS, it is only good domestically. Because I am installing AIS and I plan to travel to the Caribbean, I just ordered a new MMSI through the FCC. Good luck using that website, but I can tell you if you do not have a radiograph operator’s license currently, the license and the permit for the boat is $220. The license is indefinite but the permit must be renewed in 10 years. I think the fee for the permit for the boat is $70 and the $150 is for the lifetime license.

Jeff, ’94, #121

Kevin Rooney

Mar 24, 2021, 4:38:24 PM3/24/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Does anyone know of a source for a replacement Aqua Lift muffler *other
than Catalina Direct*? They are telling me it will be MONTHS before they
can get me a new one (so long, in fact, that they can't even give me an
estimate).

I had mine repaired last year but I've now been warned not to expect it to
last very long and to replace it. I'm facing losing a big chunk of my
sailing season. 😟

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-320/engine/exhaust-system/aqua-lift-muffler-c-320-for-perkins-30/

Thanks.

Kevin Rooney
S/V Cecilia Ann
Deale, MD

Allan Field

Mar 24, 2021, 4:51:25 PM3/24/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Kevin - Did you try the factory for the aqua lift muffler? When ours died
on our old C320, we sent the old one to Catalina and had a replacement in a
few weeks. But that was many years ago.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - C387, #103 (formerly C320, #808)
Columbia, MD

Dave Hupe

Mar 24, 2021, 5:11:52 PM3/24/21
to c320...@catalina320.com
Kevin-
We bought our 1994 C320 four years ago (early 2017).  The wet muffler (probably original) obviously had been patched (epoxy?) in several spots, including around the inlet nipple, before our ownership (and probably before 2008 which precedes the owner directly before us). So, I had figured this definitely would be an issue I would quickly need to address.  Well, I did not address it, but have watched it closely.  I even installed a new heat exchanger tank on our boat engine and wound up removing and installing a new wet exhaust hose to the patched muffler inlet nipple (very carefully) from the exhaust elbow as part of that work.  Still no problem!
I know others have warned about this, but I have seen absolutely no signs of imminent failure (hopefully saying this does not jinx me).  That said, I believe going through Catalina Direct or Catalina Yachts is the only way to get the Aqua Lift muffler. However, I believe I read that someone successfully installed a Vetus muffler?  Note that this does not mean that I am recommending that alternative. Also, Catalina Direct recommends against it.
Dave Hupe1994 C320 (#32).

Jerry Schrock

Mar 24, 2021, 6:13:40 PM3/24/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I replaced mine with a Vetus 2 years ago. Has worked great. There’s a photo on the Association web site.
Jerry
1998 #500

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 24, 2021, at 15:51, Allan Field <allanf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Kevin - Did you try the factory for the aqua lift muffler? When ours died

pat reynolds

Mar 24, 2021, 6:30:21 PM3/24/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Kevin,  I had mine repaired and it didn't last so I ordered one direct from Catalina Parts department,  You should contact them first.  They make several different shapes and they wanted photos of mine to make sure they had the right mold.

Troy Dunn

Mar 24, 2021, 6:40:05 PM3/24/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
CD got my muffler from Catalina. Using CD was a mistake; I should have
gone directly to Catalina or gone the Vetus route. After all the hassle
etc with CD I ended up short on time with a muffler that fit so poorly I
had to modify the access panel under the aft berth to get it all to fit.
Recco you call Catalina; but honestly this is a project best done when you
are hauled out for the winter as it could still be many weeks until you
have a new muffler. If you repaired the entire seam and the bolt holes you
might be able to limp through the season?

Regards

Troy Dunn
Hull #514

Harry Juris

Mar 24, 2021, 7:58:17 PM3/24/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I only look at Catalina Direct as a last resort. My first call after checking the West Marine website (I am a part time employee so pricing is usually very favorable) is the Catalina factory parts department. If they have the part or can get it the pricing beats CD by a lot. I saved almost $2,000 buying a complete set of cushions (exterior and interior) after Polar Star almost sunk when the anchor locker drain hose broke at the through hull.

In one case where I needed a vent from a company they no longer buy from they willingly told me to call and gave me a phone number.

Just my opinion

Harry Juris
Polar Star
1998 C320 #541
Nyack Boat Club, Nyack NY

Charles Holbrook

Mar 25, 2021, 7:22:32 AM3/25/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Kevin:
I sent my muffler to Catalina Yachts in Seminole, FL two years ago.  It took about 3 weeks but was a perfect match.
Now the bad news.  I sent my cabin flooring down to Catalina 2 months ago as per their parts department instructions to have them make a new floor.  After many emails, phone calls, and frustrations their parts manager told me three days ago they will not be able to get to a new floor until late summer.  Apparently, Catalina Yachts is experiencing a very high volume of new boat orders and their wood shop supervisor just retired.  Initially, when I shipped my old floor down to Florida from Ohio the parts manager told me 2-3 days is all it takes to make a new floor. Moral of the story, call first (727) 544-6681 X 201 or better yet eMail: pa...@catalinayachts.com and Lu...@catalinayachts.com to get a time commitment before you send your muffler.  I leave tomorrow morning for Florida to pick up my old floor so I can launch in three weeks.
Anybody got any ideas where I can get a new cabin floor made in Northern Ohio or Southern Michigan?
Charlie Holbrook95 Cat 320 "Nautigirl"