[C320-list] Deck diesel fill cap

Jerry's Iphone via C320-list

Jul 22, 2024, 10:46:40 AM (23 hours ago) Jul 22
to c320...@catalina320.com, Jerry's Iphone
I dropped my diesel fill cap in the water recently. I found a replacement at West Marine but it’s not a perfect fit. I’m concerned about water getting in. I searched Catalina direct and Catalina parts with no success. Catalina Direct sells the stainless caps with the pipes but don’t see the need to replace all but may have to.

Any other ideas?

Jerry Sheets
JellyRoll 2002 #890

KEN GEIGER via C320-list

Jul 22, 2024, 10:58:35 AM (22 hours ago) Jul 22
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jerry's Iphone via C320-list, c320...@catalina320.com, KEN GEIGER, Jerry's Iphone
Marina staff chopped off my diesel cap chain with the fuel nozzle and cap went to the water.  Marina gave me something that fit but I bought the Caralina Direct assembly thinking to use just the cap.  The cap OD was too big so I had to turn it down slightly in a lathe.  Now it fits but with no safety chain.
Ken Geiger#765 2000 Northern Dream amongst the 30 Thousand Islands

Sent from AOL on Android

On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 10:46 a.m., Jerry's Iphone via C320-list<c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote: I dropped my diesel fill cap in the water recently. I found a replacement at West Marine but it’s not a perfect fit. I’m concerned about water getting in. I searched Catalina direct and Catalina parts with no success. Catalina Direct sells the stainless caps with the pipes but don’t see the need to replace all but may have to.

Jeff Smith via C320-list

Jul 22, 2024, 11:02:07 AM (22 hours ago) Jul 22
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jeff Smith
I had this same question and could not find a replacement cap. So, I did replace the pipes and caps when I needed to replace the two caps on the stern. I did not mind because I also wanted the colored caps to make sure I did not make a mistake and put water into the diesel tank. I used part # Z2971 (diesel) and part #Z2970 (water) from CD. It was a pretty quick swap, and about a quarter of the price of the stainless caps/pipes.

Jeff

Karl Mielenhausen via C320-list

Jul 22, 2024, 11:23:52 AM (22 hours ago) Jul 22
to C320...@catalina320.com, Karl Mielenhausen, Jerry's Iphone
I think you want the Perko 0520DP099A.
Not too many around anymore, but I did see one on eBay.

Karl

SARA SCHROEDER via C320-list

Jul 22, 2024, 11:27:47 AM (22 hours ago) Jul 22
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jeff Smith via C320-list, SARA SCHROEDER
Seadog makes colored deck fill caps with chains. I bought a green one for fuel to clearly differentiate the fuel fill from the water fill. Works great!

Sara
Wandering Star
Seattle
#707/2000

Rich via C320-list

Jul 22, 2024, 11:34:04 AM (22 hours ago) Jul 22
to C320...@catalina320.com, Rich, Jerry's Iphone
You could use the water cap on the diesel fitting. Leaking a little water into the water tank would not be a big problem.

Rich Allen
SV Destiny
1995 #265

Mobile device, please pardon any errors

> On Jul 22, 2024, at 10:46 AM, Jerry's Iphone via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:
>
> I dropped my diesel fill cap in the water recently. I found a replacement at West Marine but it’s not a perfect fit. I’m concerned about water getting in. I searched Catalina direct and Catalina parts with no success. Catalina Direct sells the stainless caps with the pipes but don’t see the need to replace all but may have to.

Ferris Wills via C320-list

Jul 22, 2024, 11:51:47 AM (22 hours ago) Jul 22
to C320...@catalina320.com, Ferris Wills
Hi Sara,

Could you send a link to the exact Seadog fill cap you bought/use?

Thx!
Ferris(#505)

Typos by iPhone

> On Jul 22, 2024, at 8:27 AM, SARA SCHROEDER via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:
>
> Seadog makes colored deck fill caps with chains. I bought a green one for fuel to clearly differentiate the fuel fill from the water fill. Works great!

SARA SCHROEDER via C320-list

Jul 22, 2024, 12:17:15 PM (21 hours ago) Jul 22
to C320...@catalina320.com, SARA SCHROEDER
I think I have the receipt at the boat. I'll be down there tonight or tomorrow and will look.
Sara

Troy Dunn via C320-list

Jul 22, 2024, 8:12:59 PM (13 hours ago) Jul 22
to C320...@catalina320.com, Troy Dunn
If you go for temporarily repurposing a water cap…relabel that somehow.
There are plenty of horror stories of water going in the diesel and or
diesel going in the water even when the caps ARE appropriately
labeled…imagine the probability once you have two side by side caps labeled
water….

Repurposing a water cap does open up the door to potentially replacing a
water fill deck port if you end up having to ultimately buy the whole
thing. A water deck plate may be easier than the fuel one? Not sure but
it’s nice to have options.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514

Jerry's Iphone via C320-list

Jul 22, 2024, 9:38:26 PM (12 hours ago) Jul 22
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jerry's Iphone
All good options. Thanks everyone.

Rich’s idea seems easiest but, knowing me, I suspect I would forget and pour water in the fuel tank. 🤪

Jerry Sheets
JellyRoll 2002 #890