[C320-list] Genoa sheets

Tom Talling

May 27, 2021, 3:28:48 PM5/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Any recommendations on where to buy Genoa sheets and what size and length is needed?

Regards,

Tom Talling
215-262-1427

Please excuse my brevity.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 27, 2021, at 10:35 AM, RONALD HODEL <ronan...@me.com> wrote:
>
> I concur with Jack. I rebuilt mine on my old Catalina 30 and it never was quite right. Nothing like having a good macerator that always works
>
> Ron hodel
> Lokomaikai #1070
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 27, 2021, at 6:48 AM, jackbrennan <jackb...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Scott: You can buy a new one at Defender for $160. I think replacing is better than fixing if the price differential is not too large.Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320Tierra Verde, Fl.Sent from my Galaxy
>> -------- Original message --------From: Scott Westwood <scottw...@bellsouth.net> Date: 5/26/21 2:11 PM (GMT-06:00) To: c320...@lists.catalina320.com Subject: [C320-list] Jabsco Macerator I have to service my Jabsco Macerator Model 18590-0000 and found the service kit on Amazon for about $55. I would like to also replace the blade but (so far) can't find the replacement. Any thoughts/options out there? The old one still works but is showing age. Want to replace it while I have it apart.Thanks,Scott Westwood scottw...@bellsouth.net C (919)- 819-9794

Dan

May 27, 2021, 3:34:42 PM5/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
One source in defender marine. You can get size length information in owners manual or online
Dan Bochniak
Tranquility #250 1995

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 27, 2021, at 3:28 PM, Tom Talling <ttal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Any recommendations on where to buy Genoa sheets and what size and length is needed?

Charles r Martin

May 27, 2021, 3:40:07 PM5/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Tom:

See page 19 of the Owner’s Manual: you’ll need two 50’ lengths of 7/16” Dacron line. Defender Marine is a great place to order them from, especially if you have Defender One Account (extra low price). If I remember right, they have both racing quality and cruising quality lines. You can also get them from Catalina Direct—their web site is very easy to use: select your boat, the item needed, ... easy peasy.

Best,
Chip Martin
S/V Bonaventure, Hull #767
(410) 231-0199
chipr...@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 27, 2021, at 3:28 PM, Tom Talling <ttal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Any recommendations on where to buy Genoa sheets and what size and length is needed?

Crosby Roper

May 27, 2021, 4:46:04 PM5/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I would go with defender. I bought a headsail halyard from them a couple of years ago, and it was half the price of the same line at West marine.

Crosby Roper VMD

________________________________
May 27, 2021, 5:44:50 PM5/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Suggest Defender too. I purchased a replacement main backyard from West Marine, didn't open the package for 6 months to check the length, found I was shipped 1/2 the ordered and paid for length,  and WM absolutely refused to replace it. Mike MSent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Crosby Roper <vmda...@hotmail.com> Date: 5/27/21 1:46 PM (GMT-08:00) To: C320...@catalina320.com Subject: Re: [C320-list] Genoa sheets I would go with defender. I bought a headsail halyard from them a couple of years ago, and it was half the price of the same line at West marine.Crosby  Roper VMD________________________________From: C320-list <c320-lis...@lists.catalina320.com> on behalf of Tom Talling <ttal...@gmail.com>Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2021 12:28 PMTo: C320...@catalina320.com <C320...@catalina320.com>Subject: [C320-list] Genoa sheetsAny recommendations on where to buy Genoa sheets and what size and length is needed?Regards,Tom Talling215-262-1427Please excuse my brevity.Sent from my iPhone> On May 27, 2021, at 10:35 AM, RONALD HODEL <ronan...@me.com> wrote:>> I concur with Jack. I rebuilt mine on my old Catalina 30 and it never was quite right. Nothing like having a good macerator that always works>> Ron hodel> Lokomaikai #1070>> Sent from my iPhone>>> On May 27, 2021, at 6:48 AM, jackbrennan <jackb...@bellsouth.net> wrote:>>>> Hi Scott: You can buy a new one at Defender for $160. I think replacing is better than fixing if the price differential is not too large.Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320Tierra Verde, Fl.Sent from my Galaxy>> -------- Original message --------From: Scott Westwood <scottw...@bellsouth.net> Date: 5/26/21  2:11 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: c320...@lists.catalina320.com Subject: [C320-list] Jabsco Macerator I have to service my Jabsco Macerator Model 18590-0000 and found the service kit on Amazon for about $55.  I would like to also replace the blade but (so far) can't find the replacement.  Any thoughts/options out there?  The old one still works but is showing age.  Want to replace it while I have it apart.Thanks,Scott Westwood scottw...@bellsouth.net C (919)- 819-9794

John Stetson

May 27, 2021, 5:53:27 PM5/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I have also had great luck with Defender. The manual recommends 7/16"
dacron genoa sheets, 50' each.

John Stetson
Morning Star Again
Hull 578

Jeff Smith

May 27, 2021, 5:54:02 PM5/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I also highly recommend Defender. I have purchased two halyards and a set
of lines for my Garhauer jib sheet cars. While not specific to your
question, I use them to splice a shackle onto the halyard. What has been
more helpful is getting them to add a Flemish eye. It makes removing the
halyards for winter storage a piece of cake. All that to say I have never
had an issue with their splicing or whipping services.

Jeff
‘94, #121

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 5:44 PM mmellon <mme...@cruzio.com> wrote:

> Suggest Defender too. I purchased a replacement main backyard from West
> Marine, didn't open the package for 6 months to check the length, found I
> was shipped 1/2 the ordered and paid for length, and WM absolutely refused
> to replace it. Mike MSent from my Galaxy
> -------- Original message --------From: Crosby Roper <vmda...@hotmail.com>
> Date: 5/27/21 1:46 PM (GMT-08:00) To: C320...@catalina320.com
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Genoa sheets I would go with defender. I bought a
> headsail halyard from them a couple of years ago, and it was half the price
> of the same line at West marine.Crosby Roper
> VMD________________________________From: C320-list <
> c320-lis...@lists.catalina320.com> on behalf of Tom Talling <
> ttal...@gmail.com>Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2021 12:28 PMTo:
> C320...@catalina320.com <C320...@catalina320.com>Subject: [C320-list]
> Genoa sheetsAny recommendations on where to buy Genoa sheets and what size
> and length is needed?Regards,Tom Talling215-262-1427Please excuse my
> brevity.Sent from my iPhone> On May 27, 2021, at 10:35 AM, RONALD HODEL <

Dave Hupe

May 27, 2021, 6:04:14 PM5/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Consider Samson XLS3 at Defender
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=4803892

Dave Hupe1994 C320 (#32)

mark

May 27, 2021, 6:25:01 PM5/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Defender is a great source, and I think I bought a replacement jib sheet from them 2 years ago. But once you decide how fancy a line you are willing to pay for (how much $ for how little stretch), you can shop the internet for whoever has the best price on that brand of line.

Also, unless you have multiple jibs you probably would never need to disconnect the sheet anyway, so you can buy one piece 100 feet long, and fasten the middle of the line with a cow hitch through the leech cringle on your genoa. That eliminates either a knot or a splice and shackle, and makes the jib slightly less dangerous if it's flapping around in a strong breeze.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232
New Orleans, LA