[C320-list] Outlet Issue - Update

Jeff Smith via C320-list

Jul 25, 2024, 2:16:28 PM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jeff Smith
To all,

I finally made it back to the boat to troubleshoot the issue. The circuit breaker on the main panel that protects the outlet circuit is the culprit. Not only is the circuit breaker bad, but some wiring around the CB melted (specifically, the wire out of the CB that starts the circuit for the outlets and some of the black corrugated cover). From what I can determine, a 6K BTU a/c unit should draw between 5 - 7 amps, and an electric kettle should draw between 6 - 12 amps. While the drawing in my manual calls for a 15A circuit breaker for the outlets, the breaker I removed is stamped “20A.” The load is potentially at the upper limit (11A - 19A), but it should have been okay for shorter periods (obviously not advisable). I am attributing it to a CB failure given the high load or age.

Jeff