[C320-list] Cleaning Stainless Steel and Swim Platform Crack

Jeff Smith

Mar 19, 2021, 1:45:45 PMMar 19
to c320...@catalina320.com
To all,

Any methods of cleaning stainless steel that work for more than a season? I used a product called “Never Dull” but I am either unhappy with it or have unreasonable expectations. I need to clean surface rust from my hardware for my Bimini, Dodger, and my lifeline stanchions. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I also have a crack at the joint on the swim platform. I know others here have suggested this happens in the gelcoat and is not a major issue but mine seems pretty deep. Can I just investigate it with a thin screwdriver or paint scraper, for instance? How can I determine if it is more than a gelcoat crack? Last question here - is this relatively easy to repair? I have Don Casey’s Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair book, so I am willing to try. If it is one of those things better left to a pro, though, so it looks acceptable, I would appreciate that advice.

Since I am asking repair questions, paint is starting to fade on a previous repair undertaken by the previous owner. Can I just color match this and paint again? It is a circle about the size of a grapefruit on the transom as it slopes to the water line.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff, ’94, #121

Joe Jablonowski

Mar 19, 2021, 1:56:52 PMMar 19
to c320...@catalina320.com, C320...@catalina320.com
I like Whink Rust Stain Remover.- Joe Jablonowski  C 320 #103
=================

Dave Hupe

Mar 19, 2021, 2:16:16 PMMar 19
to C320...@catalina320.com
Jeff I recommend Spotless Stainless  Spotless Stainless Marine Rust Remover and Protectant - 16 Ounce (Pint – MyBoatStore.com which contains citric acid.
It is pricey, but a little goes a very long way and it is easy to use (just brush on, keep it wet with product for about 30 minutes, then rinse off). My first experience with it was cleaning the stainless steel on our home gas range front panel.  It came out great.
I would be concerned if the transom crack is just superficial, but don't have any direct experience to relay.  I do not climb up into my boat using the ladder during winter storage, since that places a lot of weight on the 2 contact points (as compared to if you use the ladder when the boat is in the water and you have buoyancy to offset some of your weight),  I use a stepladder during winter storage to get onto the boat.
Dave Hupe1994 C320 (#32)

pto...@4square.net

Mar 22, 2021, 5:54:03 PMMar 22
to C320...@catalina320.com
I just read a recent article in practical sailor that covers your Stainless issue pretty well.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/simple-tips-for-maintaining-stainless-steel

Pat Tormey
Blue Skies s/v
Newport, RI USA

Jeff Smith

Mar 22, 2021, 9:09:16 PMMar 22
to C320...@catalina320.com
To all,

Thanks for the stainless steel tips. I will try more than one of these suggestions and see if I have any luck.

Jeff ’94, #121