[C320-list] Diesel sound proofing

B. Stumpp

Apr 26, 2022, 11:36:28 AMApr 26
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
I am curious if anyone has found a substitute for the thick, heavy sound
proofing that is sold by the marine sellers to soundproof the engine
compartment.

The thick material I installed 20 years ago has always made the two engine
lids heavy to handle and now needs to be replaced.

There are a number of automotive-based sound proofing products available -
Noico Solutions, Dynamat, Killmat, and others.

Has anyone tried these as a replacement? What are you finding? Results?

Bruce Stumpp

#647, Adventure

Middle River, Maryland

Dick Walker

Apr 26, 2022, 11:41:42 AMApr 26
to C320...@catalina320.com, c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Great post. Also looking

Cheers

Dick Walker
740 Olive Ave.
Coronado ,CA 92118
619.985.8105

> On Apr 26, 2022, at 08:37, B. Stumpp <bst...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> I am curious if anyone has found a substitute for the thick, heavy sound

Joe Luciano

Apr 26, 2022, 11:55:41 AMApr 26
to C320...@catalina320.com
I’ve used Dynamat in my RV to reduce engine noise and wind noise and it works really well. It’s also very thin unlike the old marine style insulation. No reason it wouldn’t be at least as good as the marine stuff. It’s expensive, but I think it’s as good as anything out there.

Joe Luciano

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 26, 2022, at 8:41 AM, Dick Walker <dickw...@att.net> wrote:
>
> Great post. Also looking

ks...@aol.com

Apr 26, 2022, 12:08:42 PMApr 26
to C320...@catalina320.com
I've heard soundproofing will reduce the amount of air circulation.  Particularly with the limited space in the 320 engine area, this could in-turn will encourage overheating and underperformance of the alternator.  Anyone with experience one way or the other?  Neil Kornblatt Harmony #963

B. Stumpp

Apr 26, 2022, 8:00:04 PMApr 26
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Two benefits of the sound proofing are (1) obviously less engine noise (2)
less heat in the aft berth.

We had the older, thicker soundproofing/insulation for 20+ years and never
noticed issues with overheating.

The newer sound/heat proofing is much thinner so less of a concern.

Bruce Stumpp

#647, Adventure

Middle River, Maryland

Message: 1