[C320-list] Sunbrella vs. Weathermax

mark

Mar 26, 2021, 5:54:17 PM3/26/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I'm thinking of replacing my Bimini, and sought quotes from two different
canvas shops. One proposes to use Sunbrella, the other Weathermax. Does
anyone on the list have any experience with either?

My boat is in the water (and the Bimini is in the sun) year round, so
durability is a significant concern. The existing Bimini in Sunbrella is at
least 10 years old, but it is faded pretty badly, and starting to chafe
through over the metal bows that support the Bimini. I don't care that
much if water drips through the Bimini in a heavy rain, since it will blow
under the Bimini anyway.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Seyler

S/V Reality,

Catalina 320, #232

New Orleans, LA

Troy Dunn

Mar 26, 2021, 7:11:52 PM3/26/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Mark

We have Sunbrella dodger, connector, and Bimini. We are very happy with
the Sunbrella. With a dodger and connector the cockpit stays dry at
anchor which is nice. I dripping Bimini CAN be a real bummer if the water
is pooling over your head....

Another fabric we often hear about is Top Gun but we have no experience
with Top Gun or Weathermax.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514

John Morrison

Mar 26, 2021, 8:28:35 PM3/26/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
My Bimini is 22 years old and sunbrella. Still use it and needs waterproofing and I use Aerospace 303 Fabric Guard.
JohnM
1999#574

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 26, 2021, at 7:11 PM, Troy Dunn <troutw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Mark

Leonard Hooks

Mar 27, 2021, 1:17:09 PM3/27/21
to C320
Mark,
I have never heard of WeatherMax but have had good experience with
Sunbrella.
I replaced my two years ago and used Bartlett Sales in Austin, TX. The
price
was about $800. You can UPS your old one to them and they will ship you
and new one. I have has experience with John Bartlett for a number of years
and trust him.

He offers a UV mesh strip in the middle of the bimini which you can see
your sails
and masthead through instead of the little plastic window that gets dirty,
old
and hard to see thru soon. The water leakage through the mesh during rain
is minimal and never really noticed. I was reluctant at first but have been
very please with the see-through mesh.

Leonard Hooks
SV Revelation #865

Rick Smith

Mar 27, 2021, 1:23:38 PM3/27/21
to C320
All Ya'll (a technical Southern term, right?) may already know this, but,
just in case -- I am familiar with two Sunbrella products that I use for
other canvas (eg mainsail cover, companionway cover, pedestal cover, winch
covers) -- there's the "usual" Sunbrella aka Sunbrella I and the mo'betta
heavier longer lasting more water repellant and, yes, more expensive but
worth it: Sunbrella II

Rick Smith
Layla #136
Lake Lanier, GA