[C320-list] Water lift muffler replacement

Louis Spitz via C320-list

Jul 8, 2024, 10:24:07 AMJul 8
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com, Louis Spitz
Can anyone suggest a source for a replacement water lift muffler for my 1995? I believe mine needs replacement, as the bilge has water all the time, and nothing appears to be leaking.
Thank you.
Lou Spitz
Nyack, NY

pat reynolds via C320-list

Jul 8, 2024, 10:46:07 AMJul 8
to c320...@catalina320.com, pat reynolds
If the muffler is leaking it should be evident.   Check for other sources first

Kim Chapman via C320-list

Jul 8, 2024, 12:02:49 PMJul 8
to C320...@catalina320.com, Kim Chapman
If the muffler is leaking, which is common, it is a relatively easy
fiberglass fix. I did mine a number of years ago.

Kim Chapman
C320 #416
Sanity

Louis Spitz via C320-list

Jul 8, 2024, 12:15:10 PMJul 8
to C320...@catalina320.com, Louis Spitz
Thanks, Kim, ; I did that already.
Lou

Steve Weinstein via C320-list

Jul 12, 2024, 2:01:34 PM (11 days ago) Jul 12
to c320...@catalina320.com, Steve Weinstein
I've been thinking about going to a folding prop.  I had a Max Prop, feathering on my C270 and really liked it.  I currently have a 3 blade fixed prop which produces a lot of drag. Saw a used Flex-o-fold 2 blade prop., 15X12X1"  Is the 12" pitch too much for our boats?  I have a Yanmar 3GM with 1" shaft.  Any thoughts appreciated.
Steve Weinstein2000 C320 #722, Vega

Gary Magnuson via C320-list

Jul 12, 2024, 2:16:58 PM (11 days ago) Jul 12
to C320...@catalina320.com, Gary Magnuson
I added the MaxProp as advised by my close friends with big boat
experience. I have never regretted it. I like how it let's me back up
straight without the typical prop walk.
Gary Magnuson
Time A Weigh 1995 205

Richard Walker via C320-list

Jul 12, 2024, 2:28:17 PM (11 days ago) Jul 12
to C320...@catalina320.com, Richard Walker
I had great success with the autoprop for 24 yers.

Dick Walker
WindWalker II #687
740 Olive Ave.
Coronado, CA 92118
619.985.8105

bruceheyman via C320-list

Jul 12, 2024, 3:19:26 PM (11 days ago) Jul 12
to c320...@catalina320.com, bruceheyman
HI Steve,We used to have a three blade Autoprop on the boat and absolutely love the performance under sail and motor sailing!  Was really excellent in reverse as well.However, it did have some cons such as if you picked up some kelp on one of the blades it sounded like you dropped into World War III.   We also had some blade galvanic corrosion issues as the electrical connection to the hub is not excellent.  Lastly, it is very heavy and needs to be pretty far out on the propshaft to give adequate clearance to the strut.  Even then we did have to relieve some of the trailing edge of the strut to insure clearance to the blades in all scenarios.  The final straw for the retirement of the Autoprop was during the last haulout we found that the strut had a stress/fatigue crack on one side where it exited the hull.  We no have the original two blade sailor prop back on her.BruceSomerset, San Pedro, #671

Joe Grande via C320-list

Jul 12, 2024, 3:31:57 PM (11 days ago) Jul 12
to C320...@catalina320.com, Joe Grande
I, on the other hand, have NO experience with a folding prop. In my 21st year with my 420, I have enjoyed the dependability of the fixed prop. Everything I have read, discusses the percentage of motoring performance as measured against a fixed prop. I use prop walk as an advantage when leaving a side tied dock, most often backing to Port. Further, for the sailor/racer, Yanmar recommends leaving the reduction gear in neutral when sailing.

Whatever you choose, it's always refreshing to follow the experience of others on the list!

Sail on,
Joe Grande
Whisper #772, 2000

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device