[C320-list] New prop shaft and ?

Troy Dunn via C320-list

Jul 15, 2024, 7:42:24 PM (8 days ago) Jul 15
to C320...@catalina320.com, Troy Dunn
The flexfold question got me thinking about my path forward with Hull #514.
The bronze shaft is now 26 years old and although I replaced the cutless
a couple years or so ago there is still just the slightest amount of play
in the fit when the boat is on the hard and everything is dried out.
Perhaps the shaft is on borrowed time. I think it may be time next
winter to replace the shaft and engine mounts. So the question is, do I
keep the original 3 blade fixed prop or….add to my expenses and look at
folding options. We don’t race but I will admit I find the noise of the
shaft spinning as we are zipping along at hull speed under sail…annoying.
If I stumbled into a gently used perfect fit situation I’d probably jump
on it. Prop walk doesn’t really bother me. I’ve figured out how to turn
that into an advantage in almost all situations. So beyond the annoying
noise under sail. What other things happen with a folding prop that make
you say go for it? What are the downsides…besides the obvious cost?

Regards

Troy Dunn
Wonky Dog
Hull #514

Jeff Smith via C320-list

Jul 16, 2024, 8:56:27 AM (7 days ago) Jul 16
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jeff Smith
We have a max prop bought by the PO. We like the fact that it feathers, the
blades reverse direction when you go in reverse (more drive in reverse),
and adjustable pitch. The downside is that you must grease it occasionally
(I do this when I haul to paint the bottom) and there is a slight delay
when you go into reverse, as the blades spin 180 degrees. Also, because the
pitch is adjustable, you must be careful if you disassemble (you know
exactly how I know this - I was off slightly and under propped the boat).

Good luck,
Jeff

Jack Brennan via C320-list

Jul 16, 2024, 9:55:36 AM (7 days ago) Jul 16
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jack Brennan
I think the big issue is simplicity.

There's no debate that these props can improve performance on our boats to a degree. But the price is that they have moving parts and require some maintenance.

If you haul every winter and have the opportunity to do the maintenance at your leisure, that's most likely not a problem. If you're like me and haul every three or four years in Florida, that's a different story. Now I'm dependent on my monthly diver to ensure everything is up to snuff.

Also, my three-blade Michigan fixed prop is bulletproof. Unless it glows pink from loss of zinc, it will always work. Even if I snag a crab pot – a common occurrence in the Keys – I can be confident that there won't be any lasting damage.

So, like many things in life, it's a trade off. For me, it's a fixed prop because I believe sailboats should be as simple as possible. I shudder when I look at newer, larger sailboats with all of their complicated systems. I don't want to spend all of my time maintaining that stuff.

Jack Brennan'
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

________________________________
Jul 16, 2024, 11:56:57 AM (7 days ago) Jul 16
to Melissa&Larry Leibman via C320-list, Melissa&Larry Leibman
We changed from 3 blade fixed to EWOL feathering. This is our third season with it, and so far it has been a noticeable improvement for us. I agree with Jack's comment on the simplicity of fixed props. If we were cruising long distances, I would at a minimum carry a fixed prop as a spare. However, we generally jaunt between marinas and for us, the feathering prop was as much a safety issue as it was a performance issue. The fixed 3 blade prop that came with our boat was a Campbell Sailor, which has a reduced blade area to attempt to minimize drag under sail. While it likely helped with that, and was quite efficient when powering in modest seas, it was not very good when reversing in a marina. I had to be very careful leaving a fairway to make sure there was no need for an emergency stop to avoid another boat (not that this is a bad idea in general). With the feathering prop, I can stop much more quickly. Also, I do get a sense of a modest improvement in powering into heavy seas where the boat does not slow down as much with each wave encounter.
As part of this propeller change, I also swapped our original bronze shaft with a new stainless shaft. I had changed my cutlass twice in 16 years of ownership before realizing (the obvious-to-most-people besides me issue) that the remaining play was due to shaft wear not bearing wear (duh!). On a side note, while some 320 owners were able to sneak the old shaft out past the rudder without removal, I was not. I also decided not to remove the rudder at this time. Instead, I removed the transmission from the engine (8 bolts I believe) and also removed the damper plate (which gave me a chance to inspect it anyway) and I was able to slide the shaft forward far enough to get the aft end out of the strut. YMMV.
Kind regards,Larry Leibman, Easy Going, Hull #609

wdoc1--- via C320-list

Jul 16, 2024, 12:05:57 PM (7 days ago) Jul 16
to c320...@catalina320.com, wd...@aol.com
When we purchased our boat in 2018 we replaced the cutlass bearing and the bent bronze shaft with a stainless one. In 2022, after researching various props (see links below), we replaced the fixed three-blade with a Flex-O-Fold. Super-happy with improved performance under sail and power (forward and reverse). Best regards, Bill Diversion, #714

Folding and feathering propeller test - Yachting Monthly
 https://www.yachtingmonthly.com › gear › folding-and...Mar 24, 2015 — Which is the best folding or feathering propeller for you? Emrhys Barrell compares 15 props in a test of speed, thrust, drag, stopping speed ...
-

The ultimate propeller test - gallery - Yachting Monthly

| | |

| |
The ultimate propeller test - gallery - Yachting Monthly

Folding, feathering and fixed props