[C320-list] Thickness of hull

John Meyers

Jun 2, 2021, 10:49:44 AM6/2/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
How thick is the hull above the waterline?

I am thinking of attaching wire buss connectors at different spots to the
hull. Any advice? Screw size? Adhesive?

Thanks

John Meyers
1997 #406

Jack Brennan

Jun 2, 2021, 10:57:03 AM6/2/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi John:

How about epoxying a small block of wood to the hull and then screwing the buss bars into the wood?

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jeff Smith

Jun 2, 2021, 11:12:22 AM6/2/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I second this method. I used 5200 to secure the wood and then screwed the
buss to the wood. No issues so far.

Jeff
#121, ‘94

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 10:57 AM Jack Brennan <jackb...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> Hi John:
>
> How about epoxying a small block of wood to the hull and then screwing the
> buss bars into the wood?
>
> Jack Brennan
> Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
> Tierra Verde, Fl.
>

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

KEN GEIGER

Jun 2, 2021, 11:30:47 AM6/2/21
to svsailm...@gmail.com, C320...@catalina320.com
I suggest you use 1/2 plywood (and 1/2" screws) that you pre-paint or varnish and then glue in place with 3Ms 5200 or 4200.  You might use a dab of 5 min epoxy to hold it in place while the urethane sets.  Also remember that the urethanes are quite runny so may move away from a non horizontal joint before they set.  If non horizontal use a thickened 5 min epoxy along bottom to hold back the urethane.

Ken GeigerNorthern Dream #765 2000

Joe Luciano

Jun 2, 2021, 1:00:05 PM6/2/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
But use 4200 just in case you ever want to change things down the road. It is possible to remove 4200 and it is plenty strong. The 5200 is more for bonding the deck to the hull…..

Joe Luciano
Second Wind
2005 #1044

John Meyers

Jun 2, 2021, 10:23:46 PM6/2/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Jeff, Jack, and Joe

Thank you for the advice. Thoy make sense.

But I am curious about how thick the hull is.

John