Re: [C320-list] port window advice

15 views
Skip to first unread message

Fishbust

unread,
Mar 16, 2021, 9:38:01 AMMar 16
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Mine are crazed but leaving them as they are open when we are on the boat.

I would order from cat direct as there are different versions for different model years.

I added rain louvers to all 4 so I can get some air in the cabin when it is raining. They also protect from sun to minimize future crazing.

> On Mar 16, 2021, at 7:54 AM, c320-lis...@lists.catalina320.com wrote:
>
> Send C320-list mailing list submissions to
> c320...@lists.catalina320.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the Web browser, visit
> http://lists.catalina320.com/listinfo.cgi/c320-list-catalina320.com
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> c320-lis...@lists.catalina320.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> c320-li...@lists.catalina320.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of C320-list digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: Replacing old rubber hose from gas bottle to stove (kendgb)
> 2. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (Karl Krueger)
> 3. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (Troy Dunn)
> 4. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (Christian)
> 5. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (Karl Krueger)
> 6. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (Dave Hupe)
> 7. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (Christian)
> 8. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (Dave Hupe)
> 9. Re: [C320 (Graeme Clark)
> 10. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (John Morrison)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 16:50:40 -0400
> From: kendgb <ken...@aol.com>
> To: C320...@Catalina320.com
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Replacing old rubber hose from gas bottle to
> stove
> Message-ID:
> <mailman.5366.1615895671.211...@lists.catalina320.com>
>
> Send C320-list mailing list submissions to
> c320...@lists.catalina320.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the Web browser, visit
> http://lists.catalina320.com/listinfo.cgi/c320-list-catalina320.com
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> c320-lis...@lists.catalina320.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> c320-li...@lists.catalina320.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of C320-list digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: Replacing old rubber hose from gas bottle to stove (kendgb)
> 2. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (Karl Krueger)
> 3. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (Troy Dunn)
> 4. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (Christian)
> 5. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (Karl Krueger)
> 6. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (Dave Hupe)
> 7. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (Christian)
> 8. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (Dave Hupe)
> 9. Re: [C320 (Graeme Clark)
> 10. Re: Port Window Advice Requested (John Morrison)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 16:50:40 -0400
> From: kendgb <ken...@aol.com>
> To: C320...@Catalina320.com
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Replacing old rubber hose from gas bottle to
> stove
> Message-ID:
> <mailman.5366.1615895671.211...@lists.catalina320.com>
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> So are the tube end fittings mechanical fittings like some sort or compression fitting or they soldered or blazed on to the copper tube.KenSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
> -------- Original message --------From: Dennis Cookson <den...@cooksons.net> Date: 2021-03-15 15:20 (GMT-05:00) To: "C320...@catalina320.com" <C320...@Catalina320.com> Subject: [C320-list]? Replacing old rubber hose from gas bottle to stove Ken, that sentence should have read ?typically 10mm, thick wall?. I don?t have the exact spec but my understanding is that the outer tube diameter would be typically 3/8? or 10mm, with a minimum wall thickness for ease of bending without buckling. The joints made on our boat are (a) where the pipe enters the gas locker, connected directly to the remotely-operated isolation valve, and (b) where the pipe enters the space immediately behind the hob. The latter joint is made to a braided hose which is fitted with a manual shut-off valve at the point it connects to the stove. DennisCatalina #577> On 15 Mar 2021, at 12:27, kendgb <ken...@aol.com> wrote:> > Hello Dennis.? Thanks for your info.? Can you tell the outside diameter of the copper tube u
> sed and where the copper was run to to attach to a rubber hose.? In other words where are the copper to rubber joints located.ThanksKen GeigerNorthern Dream #765 2000Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.> -------- Original message --------From: Dennis Cookson <den...@cooksons.net> Date: 2021-03-15? 08:10? (GMT-05:00) To: C320...@catalina320.com Subject: [C320 There?s not a lot of information about this topic in the C320 discussion history, so I?m posting this as an advisory which might be helpful to other owners.We finally got around to replacing the rubber hose that runs from the propane gas locker on the aft port side to the gas stove in the galley, as an essential upgrade strongly recommended by our surveyor a while back. Although the existing hose still works fine and appears to be in good shape, it is well past its recommended lifetime for propane use of just 5 years.? This is because propane attacks the rubber from the inside, and it is impossible to see the internal stres
> s and damage that may have occurred. Should you be unlucky enough to have a leak while the hose is pressurised, the escaping gas will sink to the bilges of the boat, being heavier than air, where it will stay until ventilated, creating a potentially disastrous hazard.It is usually a condition of insurance policies that gas installations are maintained to meet local regulations, and here in the UK, certified by ?Gas Safe? registered engineers.? The regulations state that the replacement must deploy copper pipe (typically 10mm thick wall) from the isolation valve in the gas locker all the way to a termination point with shut-off valve at the stove, with just a metre of flexible hose at each end for the connections.? The hose behind the stove should be braided for additional protection. So we can?t simply replace like for like.Although in theory you could perform the work yourself to the appropriate standards, it would still need to be checked, tested, and certified by a registered eng
> ineer to meet the insurance requirements. So this is an expensive job, and one that owners naturally prefer not to think about. But if your current installation is well over five years old, which many will be, it?s something you can?t really afford to ignore.The good news is that Catalina Yachts did make provision (at least from 1999, the year of our boat) for replacement of the hose run from underneath the gas locker to the cupboard under the galley sinks. There is a glassed in plastic conduit tube through which it is possible to pull through a new pipe, whether copper or rubber, using the old rubber one. It requires having one person in the port lazarette and another in the galley for this part of the job, which only takes a few minutes. The rest of the installation can be done by one person.? To avoid the expense of paying for a second contractor, I offered my services to act as the engineer's assistant for this task, then left him to complete the work alone.Dennis CooksonCatalin
> a #577
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 16:50:54 -0500
> From: Karl Krueger <smooth...@gmail.com>
> To: C320...@catalina320.com
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Port Window Advice Requested
> Message-ID:
> <CAPxv8bXvNsPcBNf0w72+FnkUj=xjcpjPKY-S0=8neHvJ...@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Hello All:
>
> It's time for me to replace 4 (in the salon area) opening port light
> hatches. It looks as if Catalina Direct has the best price.
>
> Has anyone ordered these items from Catalina Direct? Also, any advice for
> installation?
>
> Regards,
>
> Karl Krueger
> Kindred Spirit #282
> Milwaukee WI
>
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 9:31 AM John morrison <sail-a...@sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> I?m in the process of replacing all the propane hoses on my 23 year old
>> boat. From the propane locker I?ve taken the complete assembly, 2 short
>> hoses plus the gauge, solenoid valve and regulator, to a local propane
>> dealer to have it all replaced except for the gauge. I will replace the
>> long run hose inside the vessel. I can buy the hose and fittings from our
>> local chandlery. I?ve also read that these hoses should be replaced every 5
>> years, but I?m thinking 10 is probably safe. Perhaps there is a gas
>> engineer out there who can confirm this?
>> JohnM
>> 1999#574
>>
>>> On Mar 15, 2021, at 8:27 AM, kendgb <ken...@aol.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Dennis. Thanks for your info. Can you tell the outside diameter
>> of the copper tube used and where the copper was run to to attach to a
>> rubber hose. In other words where are the copper to rubber joints
>> located.ThanksKen GeigerNorthern Dream #765 2000Sent from my Samsung Galaxy
>> smartphone.
>>> -------- Original message --------From: Dennis Cookson <
>> den...@cooksons.net> Date: 2021-03-15 08:10 (GMT-05:00) To:
>> C320...@catalina320.com Subject: [C320 There?s not a lot of information
>> about this topic in the C320 discussion history, so I?m posting this as an
>> advisory which might be helpful to other owners.We finally got around to
>> replacing the rubber hose that runs from the propane gas locker on the aft
>> port side to the gas stove in the galley, as an essential upgrade strongly
>> recommended by our surveyor a while back. Although the existing hose still
>> works fine and appears to be in good shape, it is well past its recommended
>> lifetime for propane use of just 5 years. This is because propane attacks
>> the rubber from the inside, and it is impossible to see the internal stress
>> and damage that may have occurred. Should you be unlucky enough to have a
>> leak while the hose is pressurised, the escaping gas will sink to the
>> bilges of the boat, being heavier than air, where it will stay until
>> ventilated, creating a potentially disastrous hazard.It is usually a
>> condition of insurance policies that gas installations are maintained to
>> meet local regulations, and here in the UK, certified by ?Gas Safe?
>> registered engineers. The regulations state that the replacement must
>> deploy copper pipe (typically 10mm thick wall) from the isolation valve in
>> the gas locker all the way to a termination point with shut-off valve at
>> the stove, with just a metre of flexible hose at each end for the
>> connections. The hose behind the stove should be braided for additional
>> protection. So we can?t simply replace like for like.Although in theory you
>> could perform the work yourself to the appropriate standards, it would
>> still need to be checked, tested, and certified by a registered engineer to
>> meet the insurance requirements. So this is an expensive job, and one that
>> owners naturally prefer not to think about. But if your current
>> installation is well over five years old, which many will be, it?s
>> something you can?t really afford to ignore.The good news is that Catalina
>> Yachts did make provision (at least from 1999, the year of our boat) for
>> replacement of the hose run from underneath the gas locker to the cupboard
>> under the galley sinks. There is a glassed in plastic conduit tube through
>> which it is possible to pull through a new pipe, whether copper or rubber,
>> using the old rubber one. It requires having one person in the port
>> lazarette and another in the galley for this part of the job, which only
>> takes a few minutes. The rest of the installation can be done by one
>> person. To avoid the expense of paying for a second contractor, I offered
>> my services to act as the engineer's assistant for this task, then left him
>> to complete the work alone.Dennis CooksonCatalina #577
>>
>>
>
> --
>
> [image: CRS-Designation-Logo_Horizontal_Color (1)]
>
>
> Karl W Krueger - ABR, CRS, GRI,
> RE/MAX Realty 100
> Phone - 414-322-6541
> Fax - 414-327-6870
>
> Have a smooth sailing day.................................
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 17:59:58 -0400
> From: Troy Dunn <troutw...@gmail.com>
> To: C320...@catalina320.com
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Port Window Advice Requested
> Message-ID:
> <CA+rGV8YYYsTMTDyE41H5r1oO...@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> I order them from Defender. But this is definitely one of those items you
> should shop around. It?s a standard Lewmar portlight. Don?t forget to
> check shipping and handling times and pricing.
>
> I used Bed-It butyl tape from Compass Marine. Make sure you get all the
> old tape or caulk (hopefully the PO did not use caulk) off the gelcoat.
> Also, check to make sure the core is sealed at the opening. If not it
> would be wise to seal the core with thickened epoxy.
>
> Good luck
>
> Troy Dunn
> Hull #514
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 17:05:02 -0500
> From: Christian <cca...@gmail.com>
> To: C320...@catalina320.com
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Port Window Advice Requested
> Message-ID:
> <CALPivw+v41rVKcKZnteRGsmj...@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Karl,
> mind if I ask motivation for replacing, and what you are replacing? Lens,
> aluminum frame, gaskets, o-rings in dog ears?
>
> Just ask because if it's to fix a leak, only replacing the lens might not
> be the root of your problem.
> 1994 C320 #138 Chicago
>
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 4:51 PM Karl Krueger <smooth...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello All:
>>
>> It's time for me to replace 4 (in the salon area) opening port light
>> hatches. It looks as if Catalina Direct has the best price.
>>
>> Has anyone ordered these items from Catalina Direct? Also, any advice for
>> installation?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Karl Krueger
>> Kindred Spirit #282
>> Milwaukee WI
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 9:31 AM John morrison <sail-a...@sympatico.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I?m in the process of replacing all the propane hoses on my 23 year old
>>> boat. From the propane locker I?ve taken the complete assembly, 2 short
>>> hoses plus the gauge, solenoid valve and regulator, to a local propane
>>> dealer to have it all replaced except for the gauge. I will replace the
>>> long run hose inside the vessel. I can buy the hose and fittings from our
>>> local chandlery. I?ve also read that these hoses should be replaced
>> every 5
>>> years, but I?m thinking 10 is probably safe. Perhaps there is a gas
>>> engineer out there who can confirm this?
>>> JohnM
>>> 1999#574
>>>
>>>> On Mar 15, 2021, at 8:27 AM, kendgb <ken...@aol.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hello Dennis. Thanks for your info. Can you tell the outside diameter
>>> of the copper tube used and where the copper was run to to attach to a
>>> rubber hose. In other words where are the copper to rubber joints
>>> located.ThanksKen GeigerNorthern Dream #765 2000Sent from my Samsung
>> Galaxy
>>> smartphone.
>>>> -------- Original message --------From: Dennis Cookson <
>>> den...@cooksons.net> Date: 2021-03-15 08:10 (GMT-05:00) To:
>>> C320...@catalina320.com Subject: [C320 There?s not a lot of
>> information
>>> about this topic in the C320 discussion history, so I?m posting this as
>> an
>>> advisory which might be helpful to other owners.We finally got around to
>>> replacing the rubber hose that runs from the propane gas locker on the
>> aft
>>> port side to the gas stove in the galley, as an essential upgrade
>> strongly
>>> recommended by our surveyor a while back. Although the existing hose
>> still
>>> works fine and appears to be in good shape, it is well past its
>> recommended
>>> lifetime for propane use of just 5 years. This is because propane
>> attacks
>>> the rubber from the inside, and it is impossible to see the internal
>> stress
>>> and damage that may have occurred. Should you be unlucky enough to have a
>>> leak while the hose is pressurised, the escaping gas will sink to the
>>> bilges of the boat, being heavier than air, where it will stay until
>>> ventilated, creating a potentially disastrous hazard.It is usually a
>>> condition of insurance policies that gas installations are maintained to
>>> meet local regulations, and here in the UK, certified by ?Gas Safe?
>>> registered engineers. The regulations state that the replacement must
>>> deploy copper pipe (typically 10mm thick wall) from the isolation valve
>> in
>>> the gas locker all the way to a termination point with shut-off valve at
>>> the stove, with just a metre of flexible hose at each end for the
>>> connections. The hose behind the stove should be braided for additional
>>> protection. So we can?t simply replace like for like.Although in theory
>> you
>>> could perform the work yourself to the appropriate standards, it would
>>> still need to be checked, tested, and certified by a registered engineer
>> to
>>> meet the insurance requirements. So this is an expensive job, and one
>> that
>>> owners naturally prefer not to think about. But if your current
>>> installation is well over five years old, which many will be, it?s
>>> something you can?t really afford to ignore.The good news is that
>> Catalina
>>> Yachts did make provision (at least from 1999, the year of our boat) for
>>> replacement of the hose run from underneath the gas locker to the
>> cupboard
>>> under the galley sinks. There is a glassed in plastic conduit tube
>> through
>>> which it is possible to pull through a new pipe, whether copper or
>> rubber,
>>> using the old rubber one. It requires having one person in the port
>>> lazarette and another in the galley for this part of the job, which only
>>> takes a few minutes. The rest of the installation can be done by one
>>> person. To avoid the expense of paying for a second contractor, I
>> offered
>>> my services to act as the engineer's assistant for this task, then left
>> him
>>> to complete the work alone.Dennis CooksonCatalina #577
>>>
>>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> [image: CRS-Designation-Logo_Horizontal_Color (1)]
>>
>>
>> Karl W Krueger - ABR, CRS, GRI,
>> RE/MAX Realty 100
>> Phone - 414-322-6541
>> Fax - 414-327-6870
>>
>> Have a smooth sailing day.................................
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 17:09:04 -0500
> From: Karl Krueger <smooth...@gmail.com>
> To: C320...@catalina320.com
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Port Window Advice Requested
> Message-ID:
> <CAPxv8bWckHafbRwiELpUuO-q...@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> I'm replacing them because of leaks and the windows are very glazed.
>
> Karl
>
>> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 5:05 PM Christian <cca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Karl,
>> mind if I ask motivation for replacing, and what you are replacing? Lens,
>> aluminum frame, gaskets, o-rings in dog ears?
>>
>> Just ask because if it's to fix a leak, only replacing the lens might not
>> be the root of your problem.
>> 1994 C320 #138 Chicago
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 4:51 PM Karl Krueger <smooth...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All:
>>>
>>> It's time for me to replace 4 (in the salon area) opening port light
>>> hatches. It looks as if Catalina Direct has the best price.
>>>
>>> Has anyone ordered these items from Catalina Direct? Also, any advice
>> for
>>> installation?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Karl Krueger
>>> Kindred Spirit #282
>>> Milwaukee WI
>>>
>>> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 9:31 AM John morrison <sail-a...@sympatico.ca
>>>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I?m in the process of replacing all the propane hoses on my 23 year old
>>>> boat. From the propane locker I?ve taken the complete assembly, 2 short
>>>> hoses plus the gauge, solenoid valve and regulator, to a local propane
>>>> dealer to have it all replaced except for the gauge. I will replace the
>>>> long run hose inside the vessel. I can buy the hose and fittings from
>> our
>>>> local chandlery. I?ve also read that these hoses should be replaced
>>> every 5
>>>> years, but I?m thinking 10 is probably safe. Perhaps there is a gas
>>>> engineer out there who can confirm this?
>>>> JohnM
>>>> 1999#574
>>>>
>>>>> On Mar 15, 2021, at 8:27 AM, kendgb <ken...@aol.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hello Dennis. Thanks for your info. Can you tell the outside
>> diameter
>>>> of the copper tube used and where the copper was run to to attach to a
>>>> rubber hose. In other words where are the copper to rubber joints
>>>> located.ThanksKen GeigerNorthern Dream #765 2000Sent from my Samsung
>>> Galaxy
>>>> smartphone.
>>>>> -------- Original message --------From: Dennis Cookson <
>>>> den...@cooksons.net> Date: 2021-03-15 08:10 (GMT-05:00) To:
>>>> C320...@catalina320.com Subject: [C320 There?s not a lot of
>>> information
>>>> about this topic in the C320 discussion history, so I?m posting this as
>>> an
>>>> advisory which might be helpful to other owners.We finally got around
>> to
>>>> replacing the rubber hose that runs from the propane gas locker on the
>>> aft
>>>> port side to the gas stove in the galley, as an essential upgrade
>>> strongly
>>>> recommended by our surveyor a while back. Although the existing hose
>>> still
>>>> works fine and appears to be in good shape, it is well past its
>>> recommended
>>>> lifetime for propane use of just 5 years. This is because propane
>>> attacks
>>>> the rubber from the inside, and it is impossible to see the internal
>>> stress
>>>> and damage that may have occurred. Should you be unlucky enough to
>> have a
>>>> leak while the hose is pressurised, the escaping gas will sink to the
>>>> bilges of the boat, being heavier than air, where it will stay until
>>>> ventilated, creating a potentially disastrous hazard.It is usually a
>>>> condition of insurance policies that gas installations are maintained
>> to
>>>> meet local regulations, and here in the UK, certified by ?Gas Safe?
>>>> registered engineers. The regulations state that the replacement must
>>>> deploy copper pipe (typically 10mm thick wall) from the isolation valve
>>> in
>>>> the gas locker all the way to a termination point with shut-off valve
>> at
>>>> the stove, with just a metre of flexible hose at each end for the
>>>> connections. The hose behind the stove should be braided for
>> additional
>>>> protection. So we can?t simply replace like for like.Although in theory
>>> you
>>>> could perform the work yourself to the appropriate standards, it would
>>>> still need to be checked, tested, and certified by a registered
>> engineer
>>> to
>>>> meet the insurance requirements. So this is an expensive job, and one
>>> that
>>>> owners naturally prefer not to think about. But if your current
>>>> installation is well over five years old, which many will be, it?s
>>>> something you can?t really afford to ignore.The good news is that
>>> Catalina
>>>> Yachts did make provision (at least from 1999, the year of our boat)
>> for
>>>> replacement of the hose run from underneath the gas locker to the
>>> cupboard
>>>> under the galley sinks. There is a glassed in plastic conduit tube
>>> through
>>>> which it is possible to pull through a new pipe, whether copper or
>>> rubber,
>>>> using the old rubber one. It requires having one person in the port
>>>> lazarette and another in the galley for this part of the job, which
>> only
>>>> takes a few minutes. The rest of the installation can be done by one
>>>> person. To avoid the expense of paying for a second contractor, I
>>> offered
>>>> my services to act as the engineer's assistant for this task, then left
>>> him
>>>> to complete the work alone.Dennis CooksonCatalina #577
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> [image: CRS-Designation-Logo_Horizontal_Color (1)]
>>>
>>>
>>> Karl W Krueger - ABR, CRS, GRI,
>>> RE/MAX Realty 100
>>> Phone - 414-322-6541
>>> Fax - 414-327-6870
>>>
>>> Have a smooth sailing day.................................
>>>
>>
>
>
> --
>
> [image: CRS-Designation-Logo_Horizontal_Color (1)]
>
>
> Karl W Krueger - ABR, CRS, GRI,
> RE/MAX Realty 100
> Phone - 414-322-6541
> Fax - 414-327-6870
>
> Have a smooth sailing day.................................
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 22:23:31 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Dave Hupe <hoop...@yahoo.com>
> To: "C320...@Catalina320.com" <C320...@Catalina320.com>
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Port Window Advice Requested
> Message-ID: <1602411932.13188...@mail.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> Mine were leaking only because the dog latch o-rings were dried out.? The o-rings? (on the outside part of the latch) are very small and I found inexpensive matching ones locally that I installed with teflon grease (which resolved the leak issue). Or, you can buy a kit from Catalina Direct with o-rings and grease. I have since pulled these latches apart annually to clean and regrease or replace the o-rings.
> The latches are held together by one screw located inside the boat under a cap in the center of the handle.? It can be tough to remove the cap.? After my experience, I suggest drilling a small hole in the center of each cap and threading a small wood screw into it to grab and pull the cap off.? I left these caps off permanently. Aklso, make sure to spread a light coat of grease on the surfaces of the latch that may touch the acrylic lens (to make opening easier and prevent scoring of the lens).?
> Dave Hupe
> 1994 C320 (#32)
> Holland, MI??
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 17:28:19 -0500
> From: Christian <cca...@gmail.com>
> To: C320...@catalina320.com
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Port Window Advice Requested
> Message-ID:
> <CALPivwLPJ3G626CjQhvYE+qD...@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> When I bought my 320 5 years ago, I went down the rabbit hole of chasing
> leaks from many of my opening port lights. First started with replacing
> the O ring in the dog ears. Still leaked. Then replaced the gaskets on
> all (super annoying job due to factory silicon adhesive), still leaked.
> Wasn't until I read about the G gasket (in the seam of the aluminum frame,
> viewable external, on the horizontal split), until I realized mine were
> rotten on almost all port lights. Was a relative easy fix with Dow 795,
> and carefully taping off the seam. No more leaks. Just mentioning that
> new lens alone might not stop your leak.
>
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 5:15 PM Karl Krueger <smooth...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm replacing them because of leaks and the windows are very glazed.
>>
>> Karl
>>
>>> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 5:05 PM Christian <cca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Karl,
>>> mind if I ask motivation for replacing, and what you are replacing?
>> Lens,
>>> aluminum frame, gaskets, o-rings in dog ears?
>>>
>>> Just ask because if it's to fix a leak, only replacing the lens might not
>>> be the root of your problem.
>>> 1994 C320 #138 Chicago
>>>
>>> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 4:51 PM Karl Krueger <smooth...@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hello All:
>>>>
>>>> It's time for me to replace 4 (in the salon area) opening port light
>>>> hatches. It looks as if Catalina Direct has the best price.
>>>>
>>>> Has anyone ordered these items from Catalina Direct? Also, any advice
>>> for
>>>> installation?
>>>>
>>>> Regards,
>>>>
>>>> Karl Krueger
>>>> Kindred Spirit #282
>>>> Milwaukee WI
>>>>
>>>> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 9:31 AM John morrison <
>> sail-a...@sympatico.ca
>>>>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I?m in the process of replacing all the propane hoses on my 23 year
>> old
>>>>> boat. From the propane locker I?ve taken the complete assembly, 2
>> short
>>>>> hoses plus the gauge, solenoid valve and regulator, to a local
>> propane
>>>>> dealer to have it all replaced except for the gauge. I will replace
>> the
>>>>> long run hose inside the vessel. I can buy the hose and fittings from
>>> our
>>>>> local chandlery. I?ve also read that these hoses should be replaced
>>>> every 5
>>>>> years, but I?m thinking 10 is probably safe. Perhaps there is a gas
>>>>> engineer out there who can confirm this?
>>>>> JohnM
>>>>> 1999#574
>>>>>
>>>>>> On Mar 15, 2021, at 8:27 AM, kendgb <ken...@aol.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hello Dennis. Thanks for your info. Can you tell the outside
>>> diameter
>>>>> of the copper tube used and where the copper was run to to attach to
>> a
>>>>> rubber hose. In other words where are the copper to rubber joints
>>>>> located.ThanksKen GeigerNorthern Dream #765 2000Sent from my Samsung
>>>> Galaxy
>>>>> smartphone.
>>>>>> -------- Original message --------From: Dennis Cookson <
>>>>> den...@cooksons.net> Date: 2021-03-15 08:10 (GMT-05:00) To:
>>>>> C320...@catalina320.com Subject: [C320 There?s not a lot of
>>>> information
>>>>> about this topic in the C320 discussion history, so I?m posting this
>> as
>>>> an
>>>>> advisory which might be helpful to other owners.We finally got around
>>> to
>>>>> replacing the rubber hose that runs from the propane gas locker on
>> the
>>>> aft
>>>>> port side to the gas stove in the galley, as an essential upgrade
>>>> strongly
>>>>> recommended by our surveyor a while back. Although the existing hose
>>>> still
>>>>> works fine and appears to be in good shape, it is well past its
>>>> recommended
>>>>> lifetime for propane use of just 5 years. This is because propane
>>>> attacks
>>>>> the rubber from the inside, and it is impossible to see the internal
>>>> stress
>>>>> and damage that may have occurred. Should you be unlucky enough to
>>> have a
>>>>> leak while the hose is pressurised, the escaping gas will sink to the
>>>>> bilges of the boat, being heavier than air, where it will stay until
>>>>> ventilated, creating a potentially disastrous hazard.It is usually a
>>>>> condition of insurance policies that gas installations are maintained
>>> to
>>>>> meet local regulations, and here in the UK, certified by ?Gas Safe?
>>>>> registered engineers. The regulations state that the replacement
>> must
>>>>> deploy copper pipe (typically 10mm thick wall) from the isolation
>> valve
>>>> in
>>>>> the gas locker all the way to a termination point with shut-off valve
>>> at
>>>>> the stove, with just a metre of flexible hose at each end for the
>>>>> connections. The hose behind the stove should be braided for
>>> additional
>>>>> protection. So we can?t simply replace like for like.Although in
>> theory
>>>> you
>>>>> could perform the work yourself to the appropriate standards, it
>> would
>>>>> still need to be checked, tested, and certified by a registered
>>> engineer
>>>> to
>>>>> meet the insurance requirements. So this is an expensive job, and one
>>>> that
>>>>> owners naturally prefer not to think about. But if your current
>>>>> installation is well over five years old, which many will be, it?s
>>>>> something you can?t really afford to ignore.The good news is that
>>>> Catalina
>>>>> Yachts did make provision (at least from 1999, the year of our boat)
>>> for
>>>>> replacement of the hose run from underneath the gas locker to the
>>>> cupboard
>>>>> under the galley sinks. There is a glassed in plastic conduit tube
>>>> through
>>>>> which it is possible to pull through a new pipe, whether copper or
>>>> rubber,
>>>>> using the old rubber one. It requires having one person in the port
>>>>> lazarette and another in the galley for this part of the job, which
>>> only
>>>>> takes a few minutes. The rest of the installation can be done by one
>>>>> person. To avoid the expense of paying for a second contractor, I
>>>> offered
>>>>> my services to act as the engineer's assistant for this task, then
>> left
>>>> him
>>>>> to complete the work alone.Dennis CooksonCatalina #577
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>>
>>>> [image: CRS-Designation-Logo_Horizontal_Color (1)]
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Karl W Krueger - ABR, CRS, GRI,
>>>> RE/MAX Realty 100
>>>> Phone - 414-322-6541
>>>> Fax - 414-327-6870
>>>>
>>>> Have a smooth sailing day.................................
>>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> [image: CRS-Designation-Logo_Horizontal_Color (1)]
>>
>>
>> Karl W Krueger - ABR, CRS, GRI,
>> RE/MAX Realty 100
>> Phone - 414-322-6541
>> Fax - 414-327-6870
>>
>> Have a smooth sailing day.................................
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 23:11:09 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Dave Hupe <hoop...@yahoo.com>
> To: "C320...@Catalina320.com" <C320...@Catalina320.com>
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Port Window Advice Requested
> Message-ID: <150483675.13309...@mail.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> Check this link for Lewmar ports/parts?Lewmar Ports and Parts (sailboatowners.com)?as comparison with Catalina Direct.
> Dave Hupe1994 C320 (#32)
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 23:20:39 +0000
> From: Graeme Clark <c...@skyflyer.co.uk>
> To: C320...@catalina320.com
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] [C320
> Message-ID: <D3077475-B7F4-4D67...@skyflyer.co.uk>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> Joe
>
> I?m in the Uk and it?s not quite as bad as it reads! There is a boat safety scheme but this only applies (mandatory) to boats on inland waterways, mainly canal boats and similar that cruise up and down the rivers.
> The requirement for an approved (Gas Safe) mechanic to do the work is primarily to do with buildings.
> As the owner of a sea-going boat we are not legally obliged to follow any of those rules although some insurance companies might decline to pay out if it could be shown you hadn?t had regular maintenance done by a competent person
> Parts of my gas supply are original (1996 boat)!
> I allowed myself to be talked (by a ?gas safe? mechanic) into replacing my regulator with one that has an over pressure relief valve. This then removed the originally fitted pressure gauge, one of the best leak detecting devices you?ll ever have!
> The OPRV is (IMHO) a complete waste of time on a boat with an external vented gas locker contains a few pounds of propane. The only way it will blow (in British weather) is if the boat is on fire, in which case that?s the least of my issues!
> Graeme
> #366
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On 15 Mar 2021, at 15:56, Joe Luciano <jnlu...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> ?Wow. Glad we don?t have UK rules here in the States for propane systems. Replacing every 5 years with engineeed testing and certification is about as ultra-conservative as it comes. The biggest threat to the rubber hoses is likely chafe from the outside somewhere in the boat where you can?t see it. But, if you test your system by pressuring it up and watching the gauge to see that it stays at a given position for several hours, likely you are tight. And with a properly working solenoid in the locker and the fact that you turn the system on to cook and off afterwards, the hose is only pressured up for brief periods of time. Also, it?s downstream of the regulator, so it is a low pressure hose. This is why many people have had their systems in use well over 20 years. I have a crab cooker at home with a rubber hose on it to a propane tank. I?ve probably had this cooker for almost 40 years. Never had a problem with the hose on it. But, I also worked around propane systems in
> a refinery for the past 35 years. While their are known risks, common sense is a a good guide?..
>>
>> Joe Luciano
>> Second Wind
>> #1044
>>
>>> On Mar 15, 2021, at 7:31 AM, John morrison <sail-a...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> I?m in the process of replacing all the propane hoses on my 23 year old boat. From the propane locker I?ve taken the complete assembly, 2 short hoses plus the gauge, solenoid valve and regulator, to a local propane dealer to have it all replaced except for the gauge. I will replace the long run hose inside the vessel. I can buy the hose and fittings from our local chandlery. I?ve also read that these hoses should be replaced every 5 years, but I?m thinking 10 is probably safe. Perhaps there is a gas engineer out there who can confirm this?
>>> JohnM
>>> 1999#574
>>>
>>>> On Mar 15, 2021, at 8:27 AM, kendgb <ken...@aol.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hello Dennis. Thanks for your info. Can you tell the outside diameter of the copper tube used and where the copper was run to to attach to a rubber hose. In other words where are the copper to rubber joints located.ThanksKen GeigerNorthern Dream #765 2000Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
>>>> -------- Original message --------From: Dennis Cookson <den...@cooksons.net> Date: 2021-03-15 08:10 (GMT-05:00) To: C320...@catalina320.com Subject: [C320 There?s not a lot of information about this topic in the C320 discussion history, so I?m posting this as an advisory which might be helpful to other owners.We finally got around to replacing the rubber hose that runs from the propane gas locker on the aft port side to the gas stove in the galley, as an essential upgrade strongly recommended by our surveyor a while back. Although the existing hose still works fine and appears to be in good shape, it is well past its recommended lifetime for propane use of just 5 years. This is because propane attacks the rubber from the inside, and it is impossible to see the internal stress and damage that may have occurred. Should you be unlucky enough to have a leak while the hose is pressurised, the escaping gas will sink to the bilges of the boat, being heavier than air, where it will
> stay until ventilated, creating a potentially disastrous hazard.It is usually a condition of insurance policies that gas installations are maintained to meet local regulations, and here in the UK, certified by ?Gas Safe? registered engineers. The regulations state that the replacement must deploy copper pipe (typically 10mm thick wall) from the isolation valve in the gas locker all the way to a termination point with shut-off valve at the stove, with just a metre of flexible hose at each end for the connections. The hose behind the stove should be braided for additional protection. So we can?t simply replace like for like.Although in theory you could perform the work yourself to the appropriate standards, it would still need to be checked, tested, and certified by a registered engineer to meet the insurance requirements. So this is an expensive job, and one that owners naturally prefer not to think about. But if your current installation is well over five years old, which many wil
> l be, it?s something you can?t really afford to ignore.The good news is that Catalina Yachts did make provision (at least from 1999, the year of our boat) for replacement of the hose run from underneath the gas locker to the cupboard under the galley sinks. There is a glassed in plastic conduit tube through which it is possible to pull through a new pipe, whether copper or rubber, using the old rubber one. It requires having one person in the port lazarette and another in the galley for this part of the job, which only takes a few minutes. The rest of the installation can be done by one person. To avoid the expense of paying for a second contractor, I offered my services to act as the engineer's assistant for this task, then left him to complete the work alone.Dennis CooksonCatalina #577
>>>
>>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 07:54:24 -0400
> From: John Morrison <sail-a...@sympatico.ca>
> To: C320...@catalina320.com
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Port Window Advice Requested
> Message-ID: <E984A997-74A0-46B0...@sympatico.ca>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> Do the Karl Kruger suggest fix. I did that 10 years ago on my boat and haven?t seen a drop since. The method is well described on our website.
> JohnM 1999
> #574
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Mar 15, 2021, at 7:11 PM, Dave Hupe <hoop...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> ? Check this link for Lewmar ports/parts Lewmar Ports and Parts (sailboatowners.com) as comparison with Catalina Direct.
>> Dave Hupe1994 C320 (#32)
>>
>>
>
>
> End of C320-list Digest, Vol 3963, Issue 1
> ******************************************

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages