[C320-list] Macerator hose mystery

Kim Chapman

Aug 27, 2021, 6:49:53 PM8/27/21
to C320
As a new owner I'm still figuring out where everything is on this boat.
I'm changing all of the sanitation hoses which has lead to this
mystery. Starting at the thru-hull for the macerator. The hose leaves
the thru-hull, goes up to the anti-siphon vent, back down to the
macerator pump. From the pump it continues down and then into the
bilge. Where does it go from there ???

Looking at the holding tank I can site all of the sides and cannot see
the macerator hose connection to the tank. The only tank connections I
can see are the input from the toilet, output to the pump out, and the
vent.

Any incite would be appreciated.

Kim Chapman
C320 #416
No Pressure

C400 #249
Quiescence

Darren Hulbert

Aug 27, 2021, 7:14:06 PM8/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Mine goes from the thru hull directly to the macerator discharge port. I have 1.5 inch hose from the base of the holding tank to the input/chopper end of the macerator with a 1.5 inch branch that goes to the deck for pump out.

> On Aug 27, 2021, at 3:49 PM, Kim Chapman <kim.c...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>  As a new owner I'm still figuring out where everything is on this boat.

Timothy Woods

Aug 27, 2021, 7:15:05 PM8/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Are you a member of the 320 Facebook group? I have a picture of my setup in
hull #375. I can post it there.

Tim

Graeme Clark

Aug 27, 2021, 7:20:11 PM8/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I’ve sent a copy of diagram from my owners manual direct to your email as this list doesn’t work with attachments
Graeme

Sent from my iPad

> On 27 Aug 2021, at 23:49, Kim Chapman <kim.c...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>  As a new owner I'm still figuring out where everything is on this boat.

Dave Hupe

Aug 27, 2021, 7:20:46 PM8/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
My boat does not have a macerator pump and associated thru-hull at all.  However, page 32 of the factor diagrams( that I was able to find on the C320 site) shows the typical setup.  That setup does not show any anti-siphon on the macerator circuit.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32)
Holland, MI

KEN GEIGER

Aug 27, 2021, 7:28:49 PM8/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com, Kim Chapman, C320
Kim are you in fresh water or salt.  If fresh and hose is open in bilge then being used as back up bilge pump.I am in Fresh water and macerator is blocked off.

Ken Geiger
Northern Dream #765

Sent from the all-new AOL app for Android

On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 at 18:49, Kim Chapman<kim.c...@sympatico.ca> wrote:   As a new owner I'm still figuring out where everything is on this boat.

jackbrennan

Aug 27, 2021, 8:44:56 PM8/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Kim:If I understand your question, the answer is that it goes to a fitting at the bottom of the holding tank. It's difficult to reach, but it can be done with some scrapes on the arm and hand. Make sure the hose clamp is tight or you will get sewage in the bilge. (Don't ask me how I know ...)Jack BrennanSent via the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Kim Chapman <kim.c...@sympatico.ca> Date: 8/27/21 6:50 PM (GMT-05:00) To: C320 <c320...@catalina320.com> Subject: [C320-list] Macerator hose mystery    As a new owner I'm still figuring out where everything is on this boat.   I'm changing all of the sanitation hoses which has lead to this   mystery. Starting at the thru-hull for the macerator. The hose leaves   the thru-hull, goes up to the anti-siphon vent, back down to the   macerator pump. From the pump it continues down and then into the   bilge. Where does it go from there ???   Looking at the holding tank I can site all of the sides and cannot see   the macerator hose connection to the tank. The only tank connections I   can see are the input from the toilet, output to the pump out, and the   vent.   Any incite would be appreciated.   Kim Chapman   C320 #416   No Pressure   C400 #249   Quiescence

Scott Thompson

Aug 27, 2021, 9:04:51 PM8/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
My boat does not have a vented loop in the macerator circuit but the
inlet side of the macerator is teed into the pump-out line. It does not
connect to the holding tank directly. the T-fitting is close to the
bottom of the holding tank.

Since I'm on the Chesapeake where overboard discharge is illegal I keep
the thruhull closed all the time, and my macerator actually stopped
working a few years ago. (The yard tested it for unknown reasons.) This
year, leaving for our first trip I noticed that the holding tank wasn't
empty and thought that strange, but figured we must have used it a few
times when motoring home from the yard (a half day trip). The next
morning, after a good sail, my crew reports that the toilet is backed
up. Sure enough it's almost overflowing bad stuff into the head
compartment. And when I checked the holding tank it is completely full
to the point of bulging even though hardly used on that trip at that
point. I figured out that the yard had opened the thruhull (presumably
when lubricating it) and left it open. So the tank filled partially
while we were motoring home, but then really filled up once we started
sailing on port tack, putting the holding tank below the water line. If
the toilet were a bit lower in the boat we could have sunk in a most
undignified way. Fortunately there was a marina with a working pump out
nearby.

Lesson: Leave that thruhull closed!

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653

Troy Dunn

Aug 27, 2021, 10:38:44 PM8/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Kim

It sounds like your macerator may have been replaced with a washdown pump.
If you are inland the macerator is never going to get used and the PO may
have decide that that thru hull was a good place draw raw water for an
anchor wash down. Do you have an anchor washdown hose up in the anchor
locker?

Troy Dunn
Hull #514