[C320-list] Water Heater By Pass

Christian

Mar 28, 2021, 12:44:56 PMMar 28
to C320...@catalina320.com
I've read the threads on by passing the water heater, and looks like there
is no impact to engine cooling. Just curious if there are any cons (minus
not having hot water) to by passing the water heater? My 320 is a Perkins,
#138. I mainly weekend sail, and have yet to use hot water in 5 years of
owning, and tired of winterizing the heater every fall, when I never use
it. I'm thinking about installing valves so I could still use the heater
easily if needed, but on seasons I don't, don't have to winterize the
heater. Any cons to by passing the heater? Would the heater by more prone
to rusting or just going bad with no water in it for long periods, etc?

Thanks,
Christian Caperton
1994 C320 #138 "Canuck" Monroe Harbor, Chicago, IL

kendgb

Mar 28, 2021, 12:51:43 PMMar 28
to C320...@catalina320.com
There are kits available to bypass heater intended to aid winterization.  They  use a 3 way valve and a check valve.  I have continuous problems with the check valve leaking.Ken Geiger Northern Dream #765Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Christian <cca...@gmail.com> Date: 2021-03-28 12:44 (GMT-05:00) To: C320...@catalina320.com Subject: [C320-list] Water Heater By Pass I've read the threads on by passing the water heater, and looks like thereis no impact to engine cooling.  Just curious if there are any cons (minusnot having hot water) to by passing the water heater?  My 320 is a Perkins,#138.  I mainly weekend sail, and have yet to use hot water in 5 years ofowning, and tired of winterizing the heater every fall, when I never useit.  I'm thinking about installing valves so I could still use the heatereasily if needed, but on seasons I don't, don't have to winterize theheater.  Any cons to by passing the heater? Would the heater by more proneto rusting or just going bad with no water in it for long periods, etc?Thanks,Christian Caperton1994 C320 #138 "Canuck" Monroe Harbor, Chicago, IL

RONALD HODEL

Mar 28, 2021, 1:07:06 PMMar 28
to C320...@catalina320.com
I have a Yanmar that I have isolated from the hot water heater. I use my hydronic diesel heater to heat the hot water if I want it. That way I don’t have to run my engine to heat hot water

Ron Hodel
#1070 Lokomaikai

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 28, 2021, at 10:44 AM, Christian <cca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've read the threads on by passing the water heater, and looks like there

jackbrennan

Mar 28, 2021, 1:41:08 PMMar 28
to C320...@catalina320.com
Depends on how you do it. You don't want to accidentally turn on the 110 volt part of the heater if no water is coming in. You might have to disable that breaker.Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320Tierra Verde, Fl.Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Christian <cca...@gmail.com> Date: 3/28/21 12:44 PM (GMT-05:00) To: C320...@catalina320.com Subject: [C320-list] Water Heater By Pass I've read the threads on by passing the water heater, and looks like thereis no impact to engine cooling.  Just curious if there are any cons (minusnot having hot water) to by passing the water heater?  My 320 is a Perkins,#138.  I mainly weekend sail, and have yet to use hot water in 5 years ofowning, and tired of winterizing the heater every fall, when I never useit.  I'm thinking about installing valves so I could still use the heatereasily if needed, but on seasons I don't, don't have to winterize theheater.  Any cons to by passing the heater? Would the heater by more proneto rusting or just going bad with no water in it for long periods, etc?Thanks,Christian Caperton1994 C320 #138 "Canuck" Monroe Harbor, Chicago, IL

Troy Dunn

Mar 28, 2021, 1:51:52 PMMar 28
to C320...@catalina320.com
Christian

Are you asking about by passing the engine or the water side of the heater?
Removing liquid from either side of the equation will provide a more
robust environment for corrosion for sure. If you really don’t use the
water heater, it may be a smarter idea to remove the water heater
completely take off the thermostat, heating coil, and pressure relief valve
and allow it to dry completely and then store it for the next owner.
Taking out the water heater will definitely create a lot of extra stowage
below the galley. Removal is a straight forward deal. Remove base
drawers and frame, remove all hoses and drain, remove the screws holding
the heater in place. Take out.

Good luck

Troy Dunn
Hull #514

Dave Hupe

Mar 28, 2021, 2:01:44 PMMar 28
to C320...@catalina320.com
Christian - I assume you are talking about placing valves on the fresh water part of the water heater and leaving it drained, not on the engine-related hoses.  There should be no impact to engine cooling.  However, I do wonder if the water heater would corrode internally without fresh water in it.
My boat's water heater had gone bad and been removed by the previous owner.  The hosing had been connected as a loop where the heater had been removed.  I had to replace my engine water pump that seized completely in my early boat ownership.  When I replaced that pump, I did not reconnect the hosing to/from the water heater.  I disconnected it completely, coiled it up if a future owner wanted to ressurect  the system, then I placed a very short loop of new heater hose on the pump in/out nipples.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32)

RONALD HODEL

Mar 28, 2021, 2:14:14 PMMar 28
to C320...@catalina320.com
Sorry about my assumptions. I thought you were only interested in by passing the engine cooling water side of the water heater. We use our hot water heater all the time and because we’re on the west coast, we never have to ‘winterize’ our boat, so I just made an assumption. To Troy’s comment, yes it would create a lot of storage space below the galley.

Ron
Lokomaikai #1070

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 28, 2021, at 11:52 AM, Troy Dunn <troutw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Christian

Christian

Mar 29, 2021, 10:31:34 AMMar 29
to C320...@catalina320.com
Apologies, I wasn't the most clear. I am talking about installing valves
on the fresh water intake and exit of the water heater, so no water enters
the water heater. Then should I decide to cruise overnight, I could turn
the valves and allow water to enter the water heater. I winterize my
plumbing without antifreeze, blow compressed air throughout the system, and
drain the water heater with a wet vac. In the 5 years of owning, I've
never used the water heater, and draining the heater with a wet vac is 2-3
hours of effort. But as our sailing skills improve, we are looking at
overnight trips in the near future, so I'd like the option of the water
heater if needed. I'm looking at these whale valves:

https://marinepartssource.com/15mm-quick-connect-shut-off-valve-whale-wx1574b.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9YWDBhDyARIsADt6sGZCFjJYsNEBNy42ZCETNJGagUWNDhMB3TEnOie3j3M73BgIX6f0KVoaAtP7EALw_wcB

Thanks Jack for the comment about 110 volt on the heater, was wondering
about that. I should think about that.

I am in Chicago, and our off season is about 7 months, so my water heater
sits with no fluid for 7 months every year already. I'm curious if
potentially 5 more months with no liquid would hasten corrosion, but I
don't know which is worse, submersed in water, or dry. I would almost
think submersed in water could corrode coils, etc, quicker.

Thanks all for the insight, still debating if a good idea to do.
-Christian Caperton
1994 C320 #138 "Canuck" Monroe Harbor, Chicago, IL

Jon Vez

Mar 29, 2021, 10:58:50 AMMar 29
to C320...@catalina320.com
You shouldn’t run the engine to heat an empty water heater. In other words whether via AC or engine the WH should not be used while empty.
For you to do this you would also need to bypass the coolant to the WH. I know Yanmar makes shutoff valves placed at the engine to do this, but not sure if Perkins does...

Sent from my iPad