[C320-list] Wiring question

Jack Brennan

May 20, 2022, 8:33:15 PM5/20/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
So I’ve developed a short in my running lights wiring. Even with the lights themselves disconnected, turning on the breaker drains the battery bank until the breaker button pops. The other instruments on the breaker work fine.

The wires for the running lights are old, crappy and untinned, so they need to be replaced. I’m not looking forward to running the new wires through the pulpits, but I have a good idea of how to do it.

My question is this:

The wires from the breaker and the negative buss are tinned and disappear into the holes behind the breaker panel, down behind the chart table. I’m assuming there’s a wiring harness down there that connects the crappy old wires to the tinned ones.

But, but . . . how do I get to the harness?

My plan B is to run the new wires to buss bars somewhere accessible, but it seems like there should be a way to do it proper and use the original connection point.

Any ideas?

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows

ks...@aol.com

May 21, 2022, 9:33:30 AM5/21/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
Jack:  You are obviously more knowledgeable than me on this electrical stuff.  If you haven't already checked for the "easy" (and probably obvious to many others but me) possible fixes.  I once lost power to some of my instruments and was able to trace it to a number of loose negative screws in the electrical panel.  Tightened up and everything now works great.  Since yours drains the battery might not be the same thing.  Neil Kornblatt, Harmony #963

islg...@aol.com

May 22, 2022, 8:08:52 AM5/22/22
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jack Brennan
As you saying that the breaker pops even if you remove the wires from the breaker?
If so you may have a broker issue.
Rich Nuzzolo

Sent from the all new AOL app for Android

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 8:33 PM, Jack Brennan<jackb...@bellsouth.net> wrote: So I’ve developed a short in my running lights wiring. Even with the lights themselves disconnected, turning on the breaker drains the battery bank until the breaker button pops. The other instruments on the breaker work fine.