[C320-list] (no subject)

Tom Grass

Mar 12, 2021, 12:27:01 PMMar 12
to C320...@catalina320.com
1. Thanks to all who responded to my last request (about C320
Owner's Manuals) ... I went ahead and ordered a 'NEW' owner's manual for
the C320 from Catalina Direct - after being reassured that it contains ALL
revisions of the C320 including the MK II. This was $45.

2. Below is a screen print from the Catalina Store - last Fall we asked
Holly at the store to add *Catalina C320 MK II *to the list of available
nameplates on their website. They have done so ... we'll be installing
ours this spring.

3. New question -
This year we are planning on setting out on a somewhat extended cruise -
Northern Michigan to the Chesapeake Bay and then to Florida and perhaps the
Bahamas. Regarding spare parts - in addition to oil and fuel filters for
our Yanmar Diesel and Raycor Filters, Belts for the diesel and spare water
pumps and bilge pumps - what other spare parts do you - or would
you recommend if you were doing something similar?

Thanks in advance.

Tom & Tracy Grass
S/V Bucket List
2008 C320 MKII # 1135

Replace your tired Catalina Yachts nameplate with a shiny new one available
only in the sizes listed below.

Product sold as a pair.
Boat *

Select an option... C-270 C-28 MKII C-30 C-30 MKIII C-310
C-320 C-34 C-34 MKII C-36 C-36 MKII C-387 C-400 C-400 MKII
C-42 C320MKII
Catalina Yachts Name Plates quantity
Add to cart
SKU: catalina-yachts-name-plates. Categories: Catalina Yachts Accessories
<https://catalinayachtsstore.com/wp/product-category/accessories/>, Catalina
Yachts Cockpit Parts & Accessories
<https://catalinayachtsstore.com/wp/product-category/parts/cockpit/>,
Essentials
<https://catalinayachtsstore.com/wp/product-category/accessories/essentials/>
.

Michael Leschisin

Mar 12, 2021, 1:08:09 PMMar 12
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hey Tom,

My plan is a few years behind you but at some point I’m hoping to sail out of Lake Michigan through the eastern Great Lakes and then down the east coast to the warmer waters in Florida and the Bahamas. What can you tell me about your route and your canal plan through New York? (I’m guessing your going that way and not the St Laurence.) I’m not a real big fan of heading through Chicago and Down the Mississippi……considering engine hours, river debris, etc. What I your plan departure date from the east coast in terms of balancing hurricane season and the late fall weather?

‘ appreciate any advice you can give me on the topic.

Thanks much,

Michael Leschisin

Wild Blue Yonder
2004 #995 Menominee, MI

RONALD HODEL

Mar 12, 2021, 1:10:39 PMMar 12
to C320...@catalina320.com
Re #3
Exciting trip! Just do it!!! In addition to your list we carried an entire spare engine water pump and mixing elbow (make sure you can get the ‘old elbow’ off before you take off and carry appropriate sealing compounds), a spare pressure water pump for house water. I’d like to go again but before I do, I’m going to install a clean out/inspection plate in the fuel tank. Do you have a fin or wing keel?
Ron Hodel
1070 Lokomaikai

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 12, 2021, at 9:27 AM, Tom Grass <tgra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 1. Thanks to all who responded to my last request (about C320

Troy Dunn

Mar 12, 2021, 2:53:51 PMMar 12
to C320...@catalina320.com
We carry a bunch of spares. Not because we are planning any big passages,
but it is just nice not to have to run to the store all the time and/or
deal with something not working when you are trying to enjoy being out.
Here are a few items we always have spares for beyond what has already been
mentioned.

Joker valve for the head
An assortment of bulbs for nav and comfort lighting
An electrical toolkit complete with good crimpers, good strippers, and an
assortment of heat shrink connectors.
A few spare whale fittings for the plumbing
An assortment of various screws to replace the ones that get sacrificed to
the bilge monster
Bed-It butyl tape for rebedding the leaks you will invariably discover
Sail repair tape, and a speedy stitcher
Spare engine oil, transmission oil, and antifreeze
raw water pump impeller (usually its the last one we replaced if it looked
good)
Extra flag clips for the flag halyard
various cotter pins and circle clips for rigging, etc.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514

Tom Grass

Mar 12, 2021, 3:14:18 PMMar 12
to C320...@catalina320.com
Thanks All. Realizing that we are retired (we did the loop on Bucket List
in 2016-2017) we have plenty of time. We are planning on staying around
Grand Traverse Bay (Traverse City) - to Charlevoix - to Beaver Island for
about a month or so - sailing with grand kids. If the Canadian border
opens we would sail up to the North Channel for a few weeks - then we're
planning on heading down Huron to Lake Erie and then to Buffalo, NY.
Assuming the Erie Canal is still open we will remove our mast in Buffalo
and have it shipped to the Catskills off of the Hudson River; then we
transist the Erie Canal - put our mast up in the Catskills then sail down
the Hudson to NYC - then to Sandy Hook - then off shore to Cape May, NJ.
Then head up Delaware Bay to the C&D Canal then over to Chesapeake Bay.
Spend a month or so in the Chesapeake then in the autumn to Norfork and
into the ICW - ending up either near Miami or the Keys. If the border is
open to the Bahamas (meaning no quarantine requirements) we would go over
to Bimini.

Thanks too for the suggestions on spare parts.

Tom & Tracy Grass
S/V Bucket List
2008 Cataliana 320 MKII

Michael Leschisin

Mar 12, 2021, 3:20:56 PMMar 12
to C320...@catalina320.com
Sounds like a great trip!

Quite jealous...

Michael Leschisin

Wild Blue Yonder
2004 #995 Menominee, MI

Chris Burti

Mar 12, 2021, 4:47:57 PMMar 12
to 320
For a trip like that, in addition to the the other recommendations, i would
recommend getting your fuel polished and the tank cleaned, a handheld VHF
if you don't already have one and an emergency VHF antenna.

Fair Winds,
Chris Burti
Commitment #867
Farmville, NC

pto...@4square.net

Mar 12, 2021, 5:40:40 PMMar 12
to C320...@catalina320.com
If you find yourself in Newport give me a shout.

I've got some spares, know of a few moorings, and can probably find whatever you are needing.. OR just swing by for a beer.

This offer is extended to anybody on this list.

Pat Tormey
Blue Skies s/v
Newport, RI USA

Dennis Cookson

Mar 13, 2021, 6:31:01 AMMar 13
to C320...@catalina320.com
That's a major excursion and before departing I would want to know the condition of critical items including engine control cables, steering chain & cables, engine hoses, and thermostat. If they are original, change them before you leave. If not, consider carrying spares. Have the windlass serviced too.

Have a fantastic trip!

Dennis Cookson
Catalina #577

Sent from my iPhone

> On 12 Mar 2021, at 17:27, Tom Grass <tgra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 1. Thanks to all who responded to my last request (about C320

RONALD HODEL

Mar 13, 2021, 9:04:12 AMMar 13
to C320...@catalina320.com
Curious, can a fin keel boat do this trip or does it require the lesser draft of the wing keel.
Ron Hodel
Lokomaikai #1070

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 13, 2021, at 3:31 AM, Dennis Cookson <den...@cooksons.net> wrote:
>
> That's a major excursion and before departing I would want to know the condition of critical items including engine control cables, steering chain & cables, engine hoses, and thermostat. If they are original, change them before you leave. If not, consider carrying spares. Have the windlass serviced too.

Jack Brennan

Mar 13, 2021, 9:35:19 AMMar 13
to C320...@catalina320.com
Five feet or less of draft is considered optimal for the southern ICW, Florida and the Bahamas.

If more than five feet, bring your towboat insurance card. The ICW has serious shoaling. You also lose large chunks of the west coast of Florida and the Keys as cruising areas due to shallow water. You can cruise the Bahamas with deeper draft, but also lose some harbors and passages.

The east coast of Florida is less harsh toward deep drafts if you sail offshore, but inlets are often spaced 30 or 40 miles apart and lead into major cities , where it’s less fun to cruise.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10