[C320-list] Stiff rudder

Kim Chapman via C320-list

Jul 21, 2024, 8:55:17 PM (2 days ago) Jul 21
to C320, Kim Chapman
Further to my recent post regarding my very stiff rudder. Today I planned
to drop the rudder about six inches so I could inspect the upper bearing. I
am still in the water. After loosening the rudder cables a bit and removing
the rudder-position sensor connector rod, I positioned a bottle jack under
the quadrant to support everything. The bolt at the top of the rudder stock
was then removed which allowed me to remove the fiberglass collar and
washer (which appears to be delrin). I then put the bolt back in to
initially limit the amount that the rudder could drop to about one inch.
Then I lowered the bottle jack. I actually struggled to get the rudder to
lower about 1/2". I needed to wiggle the wheel back and forth while pushing
down on the top of the rudder stock. The stock was quite loose in the upper
bearing (which I assume is delrin) so obviously the lower bearing must be
where the root of the stiffness is. What could be creating this stiffness.
1. The lower delrin bearing has swelled. Unlikely I think. These bearing
wear, they don't swell up.
2. There is some foreign material in the bearing. Fishing line perhaps.
3. The rudder stock is bent. Also unlikely.

Looks like I'll need to drop the rudder after the fall haulout and replace
all of the bearings...K-(

Kim Chapman
C320 #416
Sanity