[C320-list] Bilge pump float switch

David Prudden

May 1, 2022, 10:43:23 AM5/1/22
to C320 Discussion List
I just found out my bilge pump float switch died. The second one in 4 years…….a Rule 35a….

Recommendations to replace it with something more reliable or did I just get a bad one?

Thanks,
David Prudden
Teachers Pet II, #787

Sent from my iPhone

Dell Kronewitter

May 1, 2022, 11:05:40 AM5/1/22
to C320 Discussion List, C320...@catalina320.com

That's about what I've seen out of the Rule 35a - 4 years.   Always go out at the worst time...   I was happy that they put in that extra bilge space once.

I guess if you fix all your rain leaks and go with a dripless shaft you would get better results too.
Best, Dell KronewitterS/V Checkmatey#327

wd...@aol.com

May 2, 2022, 5:32:25 AM5/2/22
to c320...@catalina320.com
Replaced mine with a Johnson Pump Ultima Switch Auto Control w/Mirus / 36303 ($37+ on Amazon), mounting it to a small piece of PVC board screwed to a thin wedge of plywood epoxied to the port side of bilge- works great so far and opens up the space so you can sponge out any residual water/keep the bilge cleaner.
Bill McConnellDiversion, #714

Graeme Clark

May 2, 2022, 6:44:26 AM5/2/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
Interesting. Both my previous (shared) C320 and my current one have original Rule 35 switches from 20+ years ago. I struggle to work out how they fail?
Graeme

Sent from my phone. Excuse typos!

> On 2 May 2022, at 10:32, wd...@aol.com wrote:
>
> Replaced mine with a Johnson Pump Ultima Switch Auto Control w/Mirus / 36303 ($37+ on Amazon), mounting it to a small piece of PVC board screwed to a thin wedge of plywood epoxied to the port side of bilge- works great so far and opens up the space so you can sponge out any residual water/keep the bilge cleaner.

islg...@aol.com

May 2, 2022, 2:25:53 PM5/2/22
to c...@skyflyer.co.uk, C320...@catalina320.com
You may want to consider replace your switch with the below unit. Not cheap, but once and done.

https://www.crookandcrook.com/products/ultra-pumpswitch-jr-12v-auto?_pos=30&_sid=9a3e1bcea&_ss=r

ULTRA PUMPSWITCH JR 12V AUTO
SKU: 8480212$149.87
ULTRA PUMPSWITCH JR 12V AUTO - 5 YEAR WARRANTY
The Ultra Pumpswitch Jr is a positive acting-no timer delay pump switch with no electronic parts. Designed with the highest quality construction to make it impervious to all materials commonly found in bilges. Extra long wire leads with sealed adhesive wall heat shrink wire connectors and all switch components are completely sealed against moisture. The patented design provides maximum immunity to clogging and sticking which are main culprits in pump burnouts.Features:
- Dimensions: 6-1/4" H x 2-1/2" Diameter
- Relay output: 30 amp relay, 15 amp pump load
- Non magnetic stainless steel bracket; allows for direct mounting on bulkhead or submersible pumps
- Optional alarm system available
- Power-on indicator light
- Test feature (optional)
- Ignition protected
- No mercury
- U.L. listed
- Wiring instructions permanently stamped on switch
- Exceeds U.S. Coast Guard Standards

Rich Nuzzolo