[C320-list] Wanted in So Cal: 320 with deep bilge, fin keel, and non-furling main

Greg Arnold

May 8, 2021, 3:54:42 PM5/8/21
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Fourth try to post this, the previous 3 attempts ended up in another
thread. Not clear why.
If you have a boat for sale, I would appreciate an email to
1gregoryarnold AT gmail.com
Thanks,
Greg

David Nolte

May 8, 2021, 6:38:26 PM5/8/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
All four posts were visible here

Rene' Thruston

May 9, 2021, 6:10:15 PM5/9/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Anyone with experience will the Hillerange ovens? This boat/oven is new to
us. The stove burners work fine. The oven has a thermocouple. We turn the
dial to light, press and hold the safety button, hold our lighter at the
pilot location and nothing happens. Sometimes we can smell propane. We
make cookies on every overnight trip we have. This is a big deal for us…and
our friends!! Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rene’
Little Wing

John Morrison

May 9, 2021, 6:28:10 PM5/9/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
It takes awhile for the oven pilot to light. Make sure you have a good flame from a BBQ lighter on the pilot equipment in the oven.
JohnM
1999#574

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 9, 2021, at 6:10 PM, Rene' Thruston <rthru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Anyone with experience will the Hillerange ovens? This boat/oven is new to

Troy Dunn

May 9, 2021, 7:04:54 PM5/9/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
When lighting the oven it can be useful to have both burners lit and on
high the first time you light it off. I have no idea why this works but
it does. Are you certain you are lighting the pilot at the right spot.
I always seem to have to hunt for it. Use a long barbecue lighter and set
it to low not high the pilot is not that strong and you can blow it out
with too strong a flame, or just not see it lit.

Good luck, warm chocolate chip cookies at 10° heel angle are the best. We
use our oven quite a bit and are often surprised at how many cruisers never
use their oven.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514

Bruce Heyman

May 9, 2021, 7:18:13 PM5/9/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Troy,
We do the same thing with the burners when starting the process of lighting the oven. I believe the reason it work is because it purges all of the air that may have found a way into the gas line when we turned the valve off in the propane locker.
Also, I usually sit on the floor, tilt the oven way back so that it is easier to hit the pilot light with long tip lighter.
Bruce
Somerset, San Pedro CA

Diane Fowler

May 9, 2021, 7:48:27 PM5/9/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
You need to light 1 of top burners first & keep it on for a few minutes.

THEN, you push both oven buttons- light the thermocouple with long match- look for blue light- then turn oven dial to a temperature setting.

After you see the flame "whoosh" down the rod- then you can shut down stove top burner.

Love my oven! While sailing in the Bahamas, I baked a pineapple upside-down cake and the wafting aroma was " to die for".

Chris White

May 10, 2021, 2:54:49 AM5/10/21
to c320...@catalina320.com, C320...@catalina320.com
I turn the oven temperature dial up to say 350, hold in the red button and wave the gas lighter along under the pilot light.It will then light.
Chris WhiteDandy #449

Doug Treff

May 10, 2021, 9:17:22 AM5/10/21
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Many variations on this procedure - I was able to find the manual on the C320 site. Please see the mfr instructions here:

https://c320.org/filemgmt/visit.php?lid=98

It is definitely fiddly. I plan to try the recommended procedure soon and see how well it works.

--
Doug Treff
do...@treff.us

Troy Dunn

May 10, 2021, 6:25:09 PM5/10/21
to C320...@catalina320.com, c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Ha! The manual...who reads that!

I can tell you one thing...that story in there about the main burner
lighting off in 30 seconds is pure rubbish. It always seems like WAY
longer. I have never time it though and it probably just seems like it
takes way longer than it should.

Regards-

Troy

Dick Walker

May 10, 2021, 6:30:24 PM5/10/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I have found that if you light a burner first then you know you have gas for the line You could then light the stove.

Cheers

Dick Walker
740 Olive Ave.
Coronado ,CA 92118
619.985.8105

> On May 10, 2021, at 15:25, Troy Dunn <troutw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ha! The manual...who reads that!

Graeme Clark

May 11, 2021, 1:48:36 AM5/11/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Here’s a theory. When the oven is turned off the propane in the line burns off and/or drains out as it’s heavier than air - just like water would drain from a hosepipe hanging from a tap when you turn it off
Next time up it takes a while to purge the air
Anyway it’s the same for us!
Graeme

Sent from my phone. Excuse typos!

> On 10 May 2021, at 23:30, Dick Walker <dickw...@att.net> wrote:
>
> I have found that if you light a burner first then you know you have gas for the line You could then light the stove.

Rene

May 12, 2021, 9:21:08 AM5/12/21
to C320...@catalina320.com, c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Thanks everyone. This is where we stand to hopefully help others in the future:

Oven hasn't been used in a very long time if ever.
The pilot light would not light due to a small dead spider in the orifice. Once that was removed it lit.
The pilot had a high and low flame as we adjusted the thermostat, but the main bar wouldn't light.
Low gas pressure. With the help of a lighter and the pilot, the main bar lit.
Unfortunately when the stove needed to reduce the flame everything would go out including the pilot.
This has led us to a sticking regulator. Hubby is off to buy a new one tonight. Hopefully we will be making cookies Friday night!!

Thanks,
Rene'
Little Wing