[C320-list] Renewing gas piping

Graeme Clark

Sep 16, 2021, 4:18:34 AM9/16/21
to Catalina list
The discussion about stove valves reminded me that I’ve been thinking about replacing the gas piping on my 25 year old hull!

The rubber tubing that is visible and accessible in the gas locker is simple enough but has anyone replaced the tubing between gas locker and stove?

If so, how do you get access and thread it?

I believe modern boat safety regulations require the time to be clipped to the surface every so many feet. This would appear to be an impossible task

Anyone got any advice or t still some experience in this task?

Thanks
Graeme
1996

Sent from my phone. Excuse typos!

Chris White

Sep 16, 2021, 11:43:40 AM9/16/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Graeme
If you wish to do this to current industry standards it has to be done in solid copper pipe and certified.Apollo Gas Ltd will do it for about £1000 sterling.
I decided to replace all the pipework and some of the fittings myself after my boat surveyor listed it as a necessary item.(Dandy was surveyed at 20 years old.)
He approved this if I did it like for like as the original installation.
You can buy all the items including the orange gas tubing from Hyphose Ltd, they have depots in Poole and around the UK.
Hyphose can also swage new end fittings for you, like the type you are going to take out. They can fit the new pipe onto the original fittings if required. That is what I had done.

Be aware that the original installation will be imperial and you might be offered metric parts.

The pipe runs through the cockpit locker in a 2" solid straight tube.When pulling the old gas pipe out be sure to attached a feeder line for the new pipe.
You need to get down into the aft locker to do this work.

The difficult bit is where the pipe comes out into the back of the sink locker, but it can be done.Catalina thoughtfully fitted grp bends to avoid any sharp edges.
Test all joints with gas leak spray on completion.
Hope this helps.
Chris WhiteDandy #449

John Morrison

Sep 16, 2021, 4:57:00 PM9/16/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I replaced all the hosing on the boat The hosing and solenoid and regulator in the propane locker I had made up by the local propane shop. I removed what was there and took it as a model. The hose from the bottom of the propane locker to the stove, I purchased from the local chandlery. At 20’ it was a bit long but much cheaper than having one specially made up. I just used the old hose as a fish line to get it in. The hose on my boat goes thru a conduit so there is no need to secure it. I just secured the new hose as per the original one. Know that you should not use any kind of tape or other sealant on the hose connectors that are male and female connectors, they are designed to seal when tightened. The other type of connectors should be properly sealed when you have the propane shop make up what’s required in the propane locker. When done turn on all the gas, tank valve and solenoid switch, and test for leaks with soapy water. Good luck.
JohnM
1999#574

Sent from my iPhone