[C320-list] Moving to Maine- need some advice

Crosby Roper

Jun 17, 2021, 12:03:17 PMJun 17
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Hi Group,

I recently sold my practice in San Diego and my wife, and I have bought a home in Bristol, Maine. We are trying to decide whether to ship our 2004 C320 across country or to sell her. For now, we are going to leave her in San Diego for the winter, but come spring, we need to make a decision. Does anyone in the group have any "local knowledge" of Maine sailing? Has anyone shipped their boat across the country? Thanks for any input you can share.

Crosby Roper VMD
s/v Tethys # 1054
San Diego, Ca

ART HARDEN

Jun 17, 2021, 1:11:33 PMJun 17
to C320...@catalina320.com, c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Ash

Sent from my iPhone
Art Harden
Catalina 320 "Tortuga" E-62
937.885.9380 (o)
937.477.5544 (m)

> On Jun 17, 2021, at 12:03 PM, Crosby Roper <VMDa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Group,

pto...@4square.net

Jun 17, 2021, 3:24:17 PMJun 17
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Crosby, I sail #1037 out of Newport I now, but sailed out of Kittery ME (aka Portsmouth NH) for years but rarely get north of Portland. There is some great sailing to be had though you might need a radar for the fog and a sharp knife for the lobster pots 😉

Feel free to drop me a note if you need any advice about southern New England.

Pat Tormey

Blue Skies s/v

Newport, RI USA

Jack Brennan

Jun 17, 2021, 6:37:11 PMJun 17
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Crosby:

A friend of ours who needed an unusual sailboat, a Beneteau with a retractable keel, bought it in California and had it shipped to western Florida several years back. I believe it cost him 10-15K in all, but he had no choice because the canal behind his home has tide issues.

You can find boat transport companies on the web – yachtworld and the like, I believe – and get up-to-date quotes. You also have to figure in yard costs on both ends.

That really brings up the big question: just how much do you love your 320? Is it the perfect boat you’ve spent years getting just right, or is it just a boat that you like?

Personally, I’ve spent so much time getting my 320 right that I would only trade it for a turnkey vessel. I wouldn’t be able to face another year or two or tinkering and upgrading and fixing.

The deep waters of the Northeast would allow you to have a sailboat with one of those monster keels that point so close to the wind. But, if you plan to sail south toward Florida and the Bahamas someday, the shallower keel of the 320 would work better.

Good luck with your decision.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jun 17, 2021, 8:25:46 PMJun 17
to C320...@catalina320.com
How about sailing her down to the canal, then back up the east coast. We could do it as a relay, anybody up for a trip

Ken
________________________________
#1070 Lokomaikai

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 17, 2021, at 5:25 PM, Ken McCrimmon <kenmcc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> How about sailing her down to the canal, then back up the east coast. We could do it as a relay, anybody up for a trip

Mike Mellon

Jun 17, 2021, 10:18:08 PMJun 17
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Ron, you offered a great, helpful reply with some valuable information
and motivation.  Thanks.

Mike Mellon
LaVida Santa Cruz
--
Michael Mellon
45 Ortalon Ave

Jack Brennan

Jun 17, 2021, 10:40:45 PMJun 17
to C320...@catalina320.com
That would be one long trip. Many months, maybe a year or so?

The good news is that it’s all downwind through the Caribbean, although you have to avoid it from June to early November due to hurricanes. Also, during the winter and early spring, winds average about 20 to 25 knots, so it’s a rollicking run.

Running north from Florida, you have the choice of using the northward current with the Gulfstream (with the chance of big seas during rough weather) or day-hopping and using the ICW to avoid bad weather and tricky places such as Cape Hatteras.

Also, Maine is a really long way from Florida. I live in Florida, and a trip like that would be daunting. Day hopping means about 40 miles a day.

The big thing would be outfitting the boat properly. Under-deck autopilot, new rigging, storm sails, life raft, radar, plenty of spares, jugs of diesel and water on deck, etc.

Another consideration is that the 320 is really a two-person boat for cruising. Going for that long of a time could be grueling. I’ve done nearly seven weeks and found it tiring toward the end, although I’m pushing 68.

Still, it would be quire an adventure.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Christian

Jun 18, 2021, 9:20:44 AMJun 18
to C320...@catalina320.com
Crosby,
though I don't have any direct experience of shipping a sailboat, a very
close friend of mine and sailing buddy is currently in the process of
shipping a C-34 he just purchased from Bayfield, WI to Chicago (couldn't
sail her to Chicago due to time off work limitations and finding crew
available). One thing he found out during researching shipping is that
some of the shippers have common harbors they ship to that dramatically
reduced the rate. He found that the shipper had a reduced shipping rate to
a harbor just north of Milwaukee, getting her within ~100nm of Chicago, and
using that harbor knocked off about $1.5k from the shipping costs. So he's
shipping her there, and then sailing her the 100nm to Chicago. Just food
for thought if you research shipping costs to inquire if there are harbors
within easy sailing range that could reduce your shipping costs.
-Christian Caperton 1994 C320 #138 "Canuck" Monroe Harbor, Chicago, IL

Tom Grass

Jun 18, 2021, 10:39:07 AMJun 18
to C320...@catalina320.com
Wondering how to see the article on shipping your boat. We are considering
doing so later this year. Thanks.

RichF RF

Jun 18, 2021, 12:07:56 PMJun 18
to C320...@catalina320.com
Crosby,
If you go with a move, i can share some direct experience. South OC,
California to Texas Gulf was around $6K for transport. Used US Boat
Haulers (Chris Holmes) was excellent to work with. Very upfront, honest
and would recommend him to anyone. Haul out and prep was around $2000.
Looks like we both have 2004 320s that were in the same area - my previous
owner was in San Diego. Corrosion on the spreaders and rigging was worse
that I would have expected for that climate. I ended up having to replace
the spreaders and much of the standing rigging due to the corrosion and
damage from prep by the boat yard. This ended up being more than the
transport costs. For me, it was worth it because my 320 is lightly used
for the age (250 hours on motor now). Laydown yard and reassembly adds up
as others have mentioned. I can give you more info via email or chat if
you want. This would not be as exciting as Ron's plan - we used to be
boat neighbors (hi Ron say hi to G!) but hopefully this helps you make an
informed decision. I posted some pictures in the owner's area for Stella
Maris. You don't need to remove the binnacle and mine has the fin keel so
it was a tall load. This certainly helps with preparation.

Rich #990

Mark Cole

Jun 18, 2021, 12:23:43 PMJun 18
to C320...@catalina320.com
Sorry, the article was in Sailing magazine, not Sail. Here is a link to the article.
https://sailingmagazine.net/article-40-delivery-by-truck.html

Mark
Fiddler’s Green #8

Crosby Roper

Jun 19, 2021, 12:18:18 PMJun 19
to C320...@catalina320.com
Thank you all for your input. I think that Tethys will spend the fall and winter in San Diego while I investigate options for moorings/slip spaces in Maine, then we will make a decision regarding selliing or shipping her east. Shouldn't have a problem finding someone to babysit her for a few months... Thanks again.

Crosby Roper VMD
s/v Tethys # 1054