[C320-list] Potable Water filter and Bilge Pump

Ken McCrimmon

Jun 7, 2021, 9:45:25 PM6/7/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi
First time out this weekend for me on Kia Ora. I had two items that I am looking for input on.

1. The water that is available at the dock is the municipal water supply. When I tried it this weekend, it was undrinkable. Tasted like clorine or bleach. Can't cook with it, drink it, don't even want to bath with it. I saw an article on the Technical page about putting in a filter. It was either from Jeff Hare or Warren Updike. I would be interested in more information, such as where to install it and what to buy. The original article was from 2016, so there may be new information available.
2. Bilge pump. I tried my bilge pump this weekend for the first time.
* It kept running in either automatic or manual mode, even though there was nothing in the bilge. Could be the sensor. Have seen an article on the Technical page about replacing the electronic or mechanical switch. Does that sound like the right fix
* The pump itself makes a lot of noise. I took a video of it running and it has the sound. Sounds like a playing card in the spokes of your bike wheel but you are doing 100 mph. I can share the video if it would help. It is a model 37202-0000. Are bilge pumps supposed to sound like this or should I be looking to replace it before it takes flight

Any advice is appreciated.

Ken

Chris Burti

Jun 7, 2021, 9:51:57 PM6/7/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Go to Walmart and get the RV filter that hooks up to the faucet on the dock…works great and the replacement canisters are available everywhere.

Yes, it is probably the switch in the bilge and yes, the pump is loud and that is a good thing…it will let folks on the dock know to tell you when it is running too long.

Thanks,
Chris Burti
Farmville, NC

Bruce Heyman

Jun 7, 2021, 9:53:19 PM6/7/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Ken,
Can't help with 1 but can with 2. The bilge pump is very noisy and some of
us like it that way. Though I'm sure in the middle of the night in a nice
quite anchorage maybe not so much. It should not take flight and you should
be ok. The float switches are notoriously unreliable (in my opinion) since
we realized we shouldn't be making things with mercury.
Bruce
Somerset, San Pedro CA

Jun 7, 2021, 9:59:29 PM6/7/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Upon advice of others on this list, I use a potable water hose to fill tanks thru a hose end filter. Both are available at RV stores and I think Walmart. Good water goes bad in the tanks, especially in our heat, so I got a screw on the faucet filter from Home Depot. Mine would only fit the faucet in the head, so that is where we get coffee water etc. I like that instead of an in line filter under the sink because it is super easy. I take it off before I winterize and use for a few seasons.

Sent from my iPhone
John Frost
2007 C320 MKII

> On Jun 7, 2021, at 8:45 PM, Ken McCrimmon <kenmcc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi

Troy Dunn

Jun 7, 2021, 10:00:30 PM6/7/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
For the municipal water supply, are you just filling the tanks or does your
boat have a connection for water at the dock. I ask because if you are
just filling your tanks and want to filter the water from the dock supply
there is a filter you can buy to attach to the hose that does a good job of
filtering potable water that just tastes bad. It's basically just a
charcoal filter. Works reasonably well from what I hear. We don’t need
one so I can’t comment beyond knowing that is what other folks have done
for that issue. Folks also install under cabinet filters in the galley
which is a bit more involved and probably not necessary unless using the
hose thing isn’t an option for you. One caveat, we don’t drink for the
tap. All our water for drinking and cooking comes aboard as provisions.
It sounds like a pain but really isn’t and freezing two or three gallons
helps relieve the load on the fridge at least for the first three or four
days.

As for the bilge pump. Yep..it makes quite a racket when running dry and
just a tad less noise when it’s actually pumping. The float switch in the
bilge can get stuck if there is crud and or other boat bits and bobs that
have found their way to the bilge stuck in there. Reach into the bilge
and flip the float completely open and clean out anything you find there.
Give the bilge a seriously good cleaning and see if that solves the
problem. If that doesn’t solve the problem then it’s an electrical
problem with the switch that should be easy to troubleshoot.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514

Stephen Cox

Jun 7, 2021, 10:13:39 PM6/7/21
to C320...@catalina320.com

> * The pump itself makes a lot of noise. I took a
> video of it running and it has the sound. Sounds like a
> playing card in the spokes of your bike wheel but you are
> doing 100 mph. I can share the video if it would help. It
> is a model 37202-0000. Are bilge pumps supposed to sound
> like this or should I be looking to replace it before it takes flight

It is a diaphragm pump so you would expect it to sound that way. At least you know it is running. The advantage of the diaphragm
pump is that it should handle bits and pieces floating in the water better than the centrifugal pumps, that tend to jam up with bits
of debris. (Been there, done that).

Once you have sorted the float switch/sensor issue, one way to reduce the noise would be to install a second quieter pump that comes
on before the original pump. The original pump acts as a backup if needed and has the advantage of clearly announcing that it is
running, so you can go and check up what is happening in the bilge. Two pumps have to be better than one if you are taking on
water. I have done this using a pump like https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=4067759 which senses the presence of water by the
current drawn on the pump, avoiding all the issues of failed float switches. A very faint whir is heard periodically which assures
you that it is functioning without being annoying. I also plumbed in a completely separate disposal hose rather than trying to join
in to the existing setup.

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141

jackbrennan

Jun 7, 2021, 10:23:33 PM6/7/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Funny. When I take on water, I add a couple of teaspoons of bleach. It kills everything and makes for drinkable, tasty water. The chlorine dissipates in 10 minutes or so. There's no reason not to drink from the tanks. The plastic may even be safer than what you get with plastic bottles. Most bottled water is just tap water run through basic filters like what you get at Home Depot. The plastic is low grade.Of course, tap water is all local. What I get in Florida is not what people get in Flint, Mi.Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320Tierra Verde, Fl.Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Troy Dunn <troutw...@gmail.com> Date: 6/7/21 10:00 PM (GMT-05:00) To: C320...@catalina320.com Subject: Re: [C320-list] Potable Water filter and Bilge Pump For the municipal water supply, are you just filling the tanks or does yourboat have a connection for water at the dock.  I ask because if you arejust filling your tanks and want to filter the water from the dock supplythere is a filter you can buy to attach to the hose that does a good job offiltering potable water that just tastes bad.   It's basically just acharcoal filter.   Works reasonably well from what I hear.   We don’t needone so I can’t comment beyond knowing that is what other folks have donefor that issue.  Folks also install under cabinet filters in the galleywhich is a bit more involved and probably not necessary unless using thehose thing isn’t an option for you.  One caveat, we don’t drink for thetap.  All our water for drinking and cooking comes aboard as provisions.It sounds like a pain but really isn’t and freezing two or three gallonshelps relieve the load on the fridge at least for the first three or fourdays.As for the bilge pump.  Yep..it makes quite a racket when running dry andjust a tad less noise when it’s actually pumping.   The float switch in thebilge can get stuck if there is crud and or other boat bits and bobs thathave found their way to the bilge stuck in there.   Reach into the bilgeand flip the float completely open and clean out anything you find there.Give the bilge a seriously good cleaning and see if that solves theproblem.   If that doesn’t solve the problem then it’s an electricalproblem with the switch that should be easy to troubleshoot.Troy DunnHull #514

Jack Brennan

Jun 7, 2021, 10:41:43 PM6/7/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
The problem with the diaphragm pump is that it is only rated maybe 250 gallons an hour, which translates to 100 or so in real life. It wouldn’t take much of an emergency for it to be overwhelmed.

I use an automatic 500 gph Rule that runs for a second or so every few minutes to detect water. You can count on it removing maybe 250 gph. It works fine for drips from the stuffing box and occasional drips from rain storms. It also did well when my seawater pump started leaking badly.

As a backup, I have a 2,000 gph pump with alligator clips to connect it directly to the battery bank and a hose that leads into the cockpit. The advantage is that you can also lend it to a buddy boat if there is a problem.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Caalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jun 8, 2021, 6:32:13 AM6/8/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Thanks for all the helpful information. I will give the hose filter attachment a try. I do not have a direct connection from the boat to the water. I have to fill my tanks manually.

I will check the bilge float for dirt and build up.

Appreciate all of the great suggestions

Ken
________________________________
Jun 23, 2021, 8:18:00 AM6/23/21
to kenmcc...@hotmail.com, C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Ken-
Just replaced my old/loosely attached/intermittently functioning "Rule" float switch with a Johnson Ultima solid state switch, mounting it to a block of plywood epoxied to the side of the bilge. So far so good and it creates a bit more space between the keel bolts to sponge out any remaining water if needed.
Bill

JOHNSON PUMPS Ultima Switch, Solid-State Level Sensing- $35-45 at Walmart, Defender, West Marine, Amazon

Ken McCrimmon

Jun 23, 2021, 8:41:42 AM6/23/21
to C320...@catalina320.com, wd...@aol.com
great, thanks for the advice