[C320-list] Upgrading the windlass

Jack Brennan

May 11, 2021, 8:21:22 PM5/11/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
So, after six weeks of cruising the Keys and western Florida, I’ve come to realize the value of a windlass – and not the old and useless Maxwell VW500 currently on my 320. (It’s hell getting old …)

A couple of questions for those who have already upgraded:

• The Maxwell VW 10 seems to be the most recommended replacement on previous posts. Is this a plug and play for the VW 500, or do I have to make alterations to fit it? The specs seem very close.
• The VW 10 has separate wheels (?) for rope and chain. Is the rope fitting better than the one on the VW 500, which won’t feed line into the anchor locker (at least on mine) because it requires you to tail the rope constantly?
• Finally, has anyone gone with another brand? Your experience?

Thanks in advance.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

RONALD HODEL

May 11, 2021, 9:07:57 PM5/11/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Jack,

I replaced my VW500 with another VW500 when the old one failed in Mexico. In talking to Maxwell on the phone, they said the new one was exactly like the old one. It was a real pain to get one delivered to Puerto Vallarta BUT once we got it delivered, the mounting bolts didn’t line up. (I can’t remember, one had 5 bolts and the other 4 or something like that, but you get the idea.) Yikes!!! My only point is, be really careful about the promise that anything is “plug and play.” That said, the replacement VW500 works great. I’m pretty much all chain (150’) but I do have rode and if I’ve paid out all the chain and I’m into rope, I can easily bring that in hand over hand with Gail driving the boat forward. And as you know, make sure the gypsy fits your chain.

Ron Hodel
Lokomaikai #1070 Dana Point, Ca

Sent from my iPad

> On May 11, 2021, at 5:21 PM, Jack Brennan <jackb...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> So, after six weeks of cruising the Keys and western Florida, I’ve come to realize the value of a windlass – and not the old and useless Maxwell VW500 currently on my 320. (It’s hell getting old …)

Jack Brennan

May 11, 2021, 9:52:14 PM5/11/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Ron:

I wish they still sold the chain upgrade for the VW 500. That would be enough.

I had several situations on this trip where the 33-pound anchor dug into mud with strong currents/winds. I still got the anchor up, but it ain’t as easy as it used to be. I can envision a time when it will become a problem.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Darren Hulbert

May 11, 2021, 10:12:07 PM5/11/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I went with the VW 10. Had to cut a larger hole for the shaft and some new holes for the support bolts. It’s a pretty big unit and you’d think there’s no way it fits, but there’s actually a decent amount of space. I would say if there was a downside, is that it’s FAST. It’ll throw chain in your locker so fast it needs some hand tailing to spread out the pile. But I’m still happy I made the switch.

> On May 11, 2021, at 6:52 PM, Jack Brennan <jackb...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Ron:

David Hayes

May 12, 2021, 7:38:53 PM5/12/21
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
I have the Maxwell VW1500 so perhaps Catalina switched over to this larger model at some stage, seems to be similar spec to the 10 but not exactly the same dimensions.
Best tip from me though Jack is to instal a reversing foot switch adjacent to the existing one...best thing we did, and a very easy add-on provided the motor has a 3rd pole which the vw10 would I suspect.

David Hayes
2006 Harlequin #1087

Sent from my iPhone

pto...@4square.net

May 13, 2021, 7:15:16 AM5/13/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I upgraded my 10 with this $25 ATV reversing relay
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774JVQ59/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_tit
le?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pat

Pat Tormey
S/V Blue Skies
Newport RI

Mark Cole

May 14, 2021, 7:36:47 PM5/14/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi, Jack;

My 320 didn’t come with a windlass installed, so I started from scratch. I went with a Maxwell RC6 vertical windlass and built a “shelf” for it to sit on, just below the chain locker door. This windlass handles both 1/4” HT chain and 1/2” rope with the same gypsy - no need to move the rode from gypsy to wildcat. So far, it works great. I wrote an article about the installation process and I can send it to you if interested, or it will be in the next issue of Mainsheet.

Mark
Fiddler’s Green #8

jackbrennan

May 14, 2021, 8:52:01 PM5/14/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Mark:I read your article in Good Old Boat. Good job. I'm still mulling over which path to take. I figure I have the summer to decide because it's too hot in Florida.Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320Tierra Verde, Fl.Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Mark Cole <boat...@me.com> Date: 5/14/21 7:36 PM (GMT-05:00) To: "C320...@catalina320.com" <C320...@Catalina320.com> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Upgrading the windlass Hi, Jack;My 320 didn’t come with a windlass installed, so I started from scratch.  I went with a Maxwell RC6 vertical windlass and built a “shelf” for it to sit on, just below the chain locker door.  This windlass handles both 1/4” HT chain and 1/2” rope with the same gypsy - no need to move the rode from gypsy to wildcat.  So far, it works great.  I wrote an article about the installation process and I can send it to you if interested, or it will be in the next issue of Mainsheet.MarkFiddler’s Green #8> On May 11, 2021, at 5:21 PM, Jack Brennan <jackb...@bellsouth.net> wrote:> > So, after six weeks of cruising the Keys and western Florida, I’ve come to realize the value of a windlass – and not  the old and useless Maxwell VW500 currently on my 320. (It’s hell getting old …)> > A couple of questions for those who have already upgraded:> > • The Maxwell VW 10 seems to be the most recommended replacement on previous posts. Is this a plug and play for the VW 500, or do I have to make alterations to fit it? The specs seem very close.> • The VW 10 has separate wheels (?) for rope and chain. Is the rope fitting better than the one on the VW 500, which won’t feed line into the anchor locker (at least on mine) because it requires you to tail the rope constantly?> • Finally, has anyone gone with another brand? Your experience?> > Thanks in advance.> > Jack Brennan> Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320> Tierra Verde, Fl.> Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay> > > > > > > Sent from Mail for Windows 10>

May 15, 2021, 12:48:17 AM5/15/21
to boat...@me.com, C320...@catalina320.com
Mark
Could I get a copy of what you wrote.  I have Hull 30 and she did not come with one either.
Tony

May 20, 2021, 8:33:16 AM5/20/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Just ordered a Lewmar Low Profile Size 44 hatch to replace the leaking/hard to disassemble/repair Coastline hatch over the main salon of my C320. Planning to fill any non-matching screw holes with epoxy. There are a couple of areas of fiberglass delamination around the edges of the hatch opening, some up to 1/4". Should I epoxy these edges and the core face? do I need to remove the core? seal existing hatch lens & wait til end of season/winter lay-up to allow more complete drying? All suggestions welcome!
Bill McConnellDiversion #714

Bruce Heyman

May 20, 2021, 10:31:05 AM5/20/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Bill,
Generally I feel that if the balsa core has gotten wet and been that way for any period of time the it probably needs to go. Just too likely for rot. I would dig out the balsa core until you get to good solid material. Then wet the whole area out with epoxy after cleaning up with acetone. Before the epoxy cures I would then fill the cavity with thickened epoxy making sure there are no voids and no exposed balswood.
Bruce
Somerset, San Pedro CA

Bruce Hunter

May 20, 2021, 8:34:52 PM5/20/21
to C320...@catalina320.com, Bruce Heyman
Gentlemen,                     I just replaced the main saloon, front trapezoidal, head and 4 opening portlights. On the head hatch I ran into rot. I dug out the rot until I found dry balsa, took a West System injection needle and sprayed the cavity with acetone and put the cabin heater on high for a few days with the hatch opening covered with weighted cardboard. I then filled the void with West Systen Six-10 thickened epoxy including potting out ALL the hatch mounting holes. It came out great! I bedded all replacements with Bed-It Butyl tape slowly tightening and then walking away, this took a few days and actually still going on but everything is water tight.
Bruce HunterNauti Time #719

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 10:31 AM, Bruce Heyman<Bruce...@cox.net> wrote: Hi Bill,