Přeskočit na první nepřečtenou zprávu

Dennis Harris

nepřečteno,
12. 7. 2012 11:50:3312.07.12
komu: C320...@catalina320.com
As I understand it, the anchor windlass is not to be used to pull the boat towards the anchor location when taking in the anchor. If the wind or current is high, doing so would put lots of force on the windlass and probably trip it out. But if there isn’t much wind, it would seem that there wouldn’t be much force. The windlass supplied on our boats has a smooth drum and no gypsy for chain, and as I understand it, the chain should not be used on the smooth drum. My guess is that many, like me, have nylon rode with a relatively small amount of chain at the anchor. Taking in the nylon rode when there is no strain on it (because boat is being powered forward) is easy to do by hand and power assist is not needed. Picking up the bitter end with the chain and anchor (assuming we have already broken out the anchor using boat movement instead of anchor windlass pull) can/will be relatively difficult and power assist would be helpful, but the windlass (as delivered on boat) is not setup to handle chain. So, it seems that we have this nice piece of equipment that really isn’t available when there is some heavy lifting to do.
What am I missing?
How do most owners use the windlass?
And, most importantly, what is the line pull, in pounds, that can be successfully applied to the anchor rode, or other line, using the windlass without damaging windlass or tripping it out electrically?
I don’t anchor out often, as you can tell, and when I do, it is in shallow water, so I have done it by hand without the windlass in the past. But as 73 approaches, the idea of picking up a 33 lb. Bruce anchor and 20 ft. of chain seems less and less attractive.
Thanks for you guidance.
Dennis Harris C320 #694

Gene Helfman

nepřečteno,
12. 7. 2012 12:26:1012.07.12
komu: C320...@catalina320.com
Thanks for bringing this up. We're in final negotiations on a 1997 320
with "upgraded" ground tackle: 40 lb plow and 50 ft of larger chain than
standard. So we will need to replace the Maxwell 500 with a larger, more
powerful windlass that has both rope and chain capability (granted, as
Dennis noted, we could power up to the chain and get away with a chain
donkey only). Has anyone upgraded to something along these lines?

thanks,

gene
--
Gene Helfman, Professor Emeritus
Odum School of Ecology, University of Georgia

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day,
Teach a man to fish and he'll deplete the
oceans."

The Book of Bob, Ironies 24:7

Gary Magnuson

nepřečteno,
12. 7. 2012 12:47:4212.07.12
komu: C320...@catalina320.com
Hi,
I guess ignorance is bliss, but on my 1995, I have been regularly
raising the anchor rode and chain using the smooth drum, with seemingly
no problems. I did make a anchor splice between rode and the chain to
get rid of the nylon eye and shackle, which makes the drum happy during
the transition. I am controlling the tension on the drum by hand, but
letting the winch do all of the work. Perhaps I will someday need to
replace the drum if the chain destroys the surface. I hope I haven't
made a big mistake.....

Gary
Time A Weigh #205

On 7/12/2012 11:26 AM, Gene Helfman wrote:
> Thanks for bringing this up. We're in final negotiations on a 1997 320
> with "upgraded" ground tackle: 40 lb plow and 50 ft of larger chain than
> standard. So we will need to replace the Maxwell 500 with a larger, more
> powerful windlass that has both rope and chain capability (granted, as
> Dennis noted, we could power up to the chain and get away with a chain
> donkey only). Has anyone upgraded to something along these lines?
>
> thanks,
>
> gene
>
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Dennis Harris <dhar...@suddenlink.net>wrote:
>
>> As I understand it, the anchor windlass is not to be used to pull the boat
>> towards the anchor location when taking in the anchor. If the wind or
>> current is high, doing so would put lots of force on the windlass and
>> probably trip it out. But if there isn�t much wind, it would seem that
>> there wouldn�t be much force. The windlass supplied on our boats has a
>> smooth drum and no gypsy for chain, and as I understand it, the chain
>> should not be used on the smooth drum. My guess is that many, like me,
>> have nylon rode with a relatively small amount of chain at the anchor.
>> Taking in the nylon rode when there is no strain on it (because boat is
>> being powered forward) is easy to do by hand and power assist is not
>> needed. Picking up the bitter end with the chain and anchor (assuming we
>> have already broken out the anchor using boat movement instead of anchor
>> windlass pull) can/will be relatively difficult and power assist would be
>> helpful, but the windlass (as delivered on boat) is not setup to handle
>> chain. So, it seems that we have this nice piece of equipment that really
>> isn�t available when there is some heavy lifting to do.
>> What am I missing?
>> How do most owners use the windlass?
>> And, most importantly, what is the line pull, in pounds, that can be
>> successfully applied to the anchor rode, or other line, using the windlass
>> without damaging windlass or tripping it out electrically?
>> I don�t anchor out often, as you can tell, and when I do, it is in shallow

Jerry Mickelson

nepřečteno,
12. 7. 2012 12:57:2412.07.12
komu: C320...@catalina320.com
A Maxwell Rep. advised me that using a rode with both rope and chain will not damage the drum! The worst that might happen is marring the plating which he said is no big deal. It has worked fine for me with a 35lb plow anchor and 1/4" chain.
Jerry

Dick Walker

nepřečteno,
12. 7. 2012 13:11:5912.07.12
komu: C320...@catalina320.com, <C320-List@Catalina320.com>
I added the chain drum and it works great. As the rode is pulled up I move it in to the chain drum as the chain arrives. About $ 300 and well worth it When I ordered the boat I asked for the chain to be added but Catalina declined.

Cheers

Dick Walker

jpm...@aol.com

nepřečteno,
12. 7. 2012 13:21:0412.07.12
komu: C320...@catalina320.com

Over the years and on several boats we have regularly used chain on a smooth drum . We would put some gaffers tape over the drum to keep it from slipping. JOHN

JJ Morrison

nepřečteno,
12. 7. 2012 13:45:0212.07.12
komu: Catalina List

A 40lb anchor and 50ft of chain (5/16"?) sounds like overkill and a lot of work to me; I have a 15KG Bruce and 1/4" chain rode and the Maxwell 500 was upgraded with a gypsy which I understand Maxwell no longer supplies. We anchor out a lot and this combination works very well for the 320 and we have never dragged the anchor in some pretty stiff breezes. I think that the 1/4" chain would work OK on the Maxwell rode drum but have never tried it. If I were doing it again I'd get a new windlass as the new ones draw considerably less power and with remote control are safer to operate.
Cheers
JohnM
1999 #574

> To: C320...@Catalina320.com
> From: jpm...@aol.com
> Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 13:21:04 -0400

Dick Walker

nepřečteno,
12. 7. 2012 14:04:2612.07.12
komu: Tony Murphy, MS DABR, C-320 List
I contacted the below and they indicated that they no longer make the kit.

The do offer a VW500 but that would mean a whole new windless.

Maxwell America, LLC
7251 National Drive
Parkway Industrial Center
Hanover, Maryland 21076