[C320-list] Stuck in a tight situation - literally!

Bill Culbertson via C320-list

Jun 19, 2024, 2:31:00 PMJun 19
to c320...@catalina320.com, Bill Culbertson
Like many of you before me, my 20+ year old C320 (#859) sprung a fuel tank leak.  My challenge is this.  I installed the 16k BTU Dometic Air Conditioner on the shelf that you remove to replace the fuel tank.  Ok, PIA to disconnect cooling water hoses, condensate hose, thermostat wires, 110v power wires and the main ducting and removing the bolts mounting the unit to the shelf.  But then I discovered that it wouldn't budget!  The rubber (or synthetic rubber) soundproofing mat between the 64 pound Dometic unit and the shelf is "welded" to the shelf.
As you know, there is not much room to work in the space.  I have tried sawing underneath the Dometic to destroy the mat and have gotten rid of "some" of it.  It is a lot of surface area, so I understand why the Dometic won't break free until more of the mat is removed.
 Bill Culbertson C320 Secretary/Treasurer Harmony #859

Mark Seyler via C320-list

Jun 19, 2024, 3:01:21 PMJun 19
to C320...@catalina320.com, Mark Seyler
Bill, I had to replace the fuel tank on my 1995 No. 232 last winter, and was able to slide the old fuel tank out from under the shelf that my a/c unit sits on. It took a fair amount of “boat yoga”, but it might save you some time if you can do the same.
Mark Seyler
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 19, 2024, at 1:29 PM, Bill Culbertson via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:
>
> Like many of you before me, my 20+ year old C320 (#859) sprung a fuel tank leak. My challenge is this. I installed the 16k BTU Dometic Air Conditioner on the shelf that you remove to replace the fuel tank. Ok, PIA to disconnect cooling water hoses, condensate hose, thermostat wires, 110v power wires and the main ducting and removing the bolts mounting the unit to the shelf. But then I discovered that it wouldn't budget! The rubber (or synthetic rubber) soundproofing mat between the 64 pound Dometic unit and the shelf is "welded" to the shelf.

clay landry via C320-list

Jun 19, 2024, 3:21:05 PMJun 19
to C320...@catalina320.com, clay landry
Mark,

How loud is the AC in the aft cabin, and which unit is yours?

Regards,

-Clay Landry

> On Jun 19, 2024, at 14:01, Mark Seyler via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:
>
> Bill, I had to replace the fuel tank on my 1995 No. 232 last winter, and was able to slide the old fuel tank out from under the shelf that my a/c unit sits on. It took a fair amount of “boat yoga”, but it might save you some time if you can do the same.

Aaron Laskowski via C320-list

Jun 19, 2024, 4:41:38 PMJun 19
to C320...@catalina320.com, Aaron Laskowski
I just had a 12K Domestic AC unit installed in my 98 320 by following this guide I found: https://c320.org/filemgmt/index.php?id=190

________________________________
Jun 19, 2024, 5:23:16 PMJun 19
to C320...@catalina320.com, jo...@frostnet.net
We have an OEM 12K in the same location and it is a bit loud, but I love that.
It covers up other dock noises like ocean waves do.
Only caveat is that mine makes a clunking sound when the compressor kicks in, but I am used to it now.

John
2007 C320MKII
Hull #1118
Lake Guntersville, AL

Jun 27, 2024, 2:25:07 PMJun 27
to C320...@catalina320.com, Bill Culbertson
Mark,

I was finally able to get back to the boat today after your suggestion. I took a close look and some measurements measurements and that may well work on my boat as well! If so, wow. I was skeptical when I first read your post because our hull #s are so far apart but heck it is certainly worth a try.

Did you get the tank out via the access door into the aft cabin? Looks like that might work. Else the cockpit hatch though that looks a bit tighter

I love “boat yoga”. My wife has always referred to it as making myself into a pretzel.

-bill

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 19, 2024, at 3:01 PM, Mark Seyler via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:
>
> Bill, I had to replace the fuel tank on my 1995 No. 232 last winter, and was able to slide the old fuel tank out from under the shelf that my a/c unit sits on. It took a fair amount of “boat yoga”, but it might save you some time if you can do the same.

Jeff Hare via C320-list

Jun 27, 2024, 5:11:47 PMJun 27
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jeff Hare
Bill, for sure the tank won't fit out either of the aft top hatches, but will fit out the access door in the aft cabin after removing the little door frame.  Then it'll easily fit out the aft cabin and up the stairs.Jeff
-------- Original message --------From: Bill Culbertson via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> Date: 6/27/24 2:25 PM (GMT-05:00) To: C320...@catalina320.com Cc: Bill Culbertson <billc...@yahoo.com> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Stuck in a tight situation - literally! Mark,I was finally able to get back to the boat today after your suggestion. I took a close look and some measurements  measurements and that may well work on my boat as well!  If so, wow. I was skeptical when I first read your post because our hull #s are so far apart but heck it is certainly worth a try. Did you get the tank out via the access door into the aft cabin?  Looks like that might work. Else the cockpit hatch though that looks a bit tighterI love “boat yoga”. My wife has always referred to it as making myself into a pretzel. -billSent from my iPhone> On Jun 19, 2024, at 3:01 PM, Mark Seyler via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:> > Bill, I had to replace the fuel tank on my 1995 No. 232 last winter, and was able to slide the old fuel tank out from under the shelf that my a/c unit sits on. It took a fair amount of “boat yoga”, but it might save you some time if you can do the same.> Mark Seyler> Sent from my iPhone> >> On Jun 19, 2024, at 1:29 PM, Bill Culbertson via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:>> >> Like many of you before me, my 20+ year old C320 (#859) sprung a fuel tank leak.  My challenge is this.  I installed the 16k BTU Dometic Air Conditioner on the shelf that you remove to replace the fuel tank.  Ok, PIA to disconnect cooling water hoses, condensate hose, thermostat wires, 110v power wires and the main ducting and removing the bolts mounting the unit to the shelf.  But then I discovered that it wouldn't budget!  The rubber (or synthetic rubber) soundproofing mat between the 64 pound Dometic unit and the shelf is "welded" to the shelf.>> As you know, there is not much room to work in the space.  I have tried sawing underneath the Dometic to destroy the mat and have gotten rid of "some" of it.  It is a lot of surface area, so I understand why the Dometic won't break free until more of the mat is removed.>> Bill Culbertson C320 Secretary/Treasurer Harmony #859>> >