[C320-list] Installing gas springs on 320 cockpit locker

조회수 105회
읽지 않은 첫 메시지로 건너뛰기

mme...@cruzio.com

읽지 않음,
2018. 6. 2. 오후 4:52:3518. 6. 2.
받는사람 C320...@catalina320.com
I am attempting to install gas spring struts on the port side lazarette
cockpit locker lid, on LaVida, a 1996 C320. I think later 320 boats had
these installed either as standard or as an option. The were also
installed in several other length Catalina models that used the same or
a similar locker lid.

If someone has these gas struts installed on their boat, I would very
much appreciate some information:

1. The manufacturer, part number, the extended length and the fully
compressed length of the gas strut

2. The measured mounting location of the mounting bracket pivot pin on
the underside of the locker lid, measured from the hinge pin

3. The mounting location of the lower mounting bracket - this is
normally slightly below the edge of the cockpit seat.

Many thanks to the group for any assistance.

Mike Mellon
LaVida Cat320 #324 1996

ks...@aol.com

읽지 않음,
2018. 6. 3. 오전 8:17:2918. 6. 3.
받는사람 C320...@catalina320.com
Hello.  I just completed installing a gas strut for the port cockpit lazarette and I'm in the process of creating a description of the process.  Sorry to say other commitments have stalled the completion of my description.  The key to the project is very much the location of the brackets which took many tries.  I am new to the group and would appreciate knowing the best way to post photos of the project once I have them.  I would also like to make myself available for phone call and/or facetime to anyone if I can avoid my personal information being made public beyond the group. Neil Kornblatt "Harmony" Hull #973

ks...@aol.com

읽지 않음,
2018. 6. 3. 오후 2:34:3018. 6. 3.
받는사람 C320...@catalina320.com
I sent a response this morning but haven't seen it posted yet.  (maybe the sender doesn't see his/her own response?  I'm new to this "list") The size of the strut I used was a "40 pound" 12" closed/compressed and 20" extended.  If I had to do it over I would look for a "60 pound" strut.  I will provide more specifics of the strut I used at a later time.  When I'm on the boat I will measure the location of both pivot pins and report back.  Neil Kornblatt "Harmony" Hull #973

In a message dated 6/2/2018 4:54:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, mme...@cruzio.com writes:

mme...@cruzio.com

읽지 않음,
2018. 6. 3. 오후 11:50:2318. 6. 3.
받는사람 C320...@catalina320.com
Thanks very much, Neil. I will await your further response. Appreciate
the assistance.

Mike

Warren Updike

읽지 않음,
2018. 6. 5. 오전 11:45:4218. 6. 5.
받는사람 c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Mike, go to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/c320-list and enter "gas locker" in the search bar. There are several posts over the years. Perhaps this will help.
If you do this, please consider taking some pictures and notes for a Mainsheet article. I'll write the article or you can. (Pictures should be as large a resolution as possible.)
Thanks in advance,

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, MD (Chesapeake Bay)

ks...@aol.com

읽지 않음,
2018. 6. 6. 오전 9:43:2718. 6. 6.
받는사람 C320...@catalina320.com
Warren:  Thanks.  Do I send the "article" with photos directly to you or just use this email with attachments.  Neil Kornblatt "Harmony" Hull #973

mme...@cruzio.com

읽지 않음,
2018. 7. 14. 오후 2:54:5818. 7. 14.
받는사람 C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Kskis (I don't have your real name, sorry). I may have missed your
reply on this, but I'd really like to know the basics, the length and
model of the strut that worked, the location of the top mounting on the
locker lid, and the location of the bottom mounting.

I don't need much more.

Thanks.

Mike Mellon

mme...@cruzio.com

Scott Westwood

읽지 않음,
2018. 7. 15. 오전 8:47:2118. 7. 15.
받는사람 C320...@catalina320.com
I too am interested in this.
Thanks,
Scott Westwood scottw...@bellsouth.net H (919)-362-8538    C (919)-618-7185

ks...@aol.com

읽지 않음,
2018. 7. 15. 오전 10:08:3618. 7. 15.
받는사람 C320...@catalina320.com
Scott:  Here is the same response I sent Mike.  Very sorry for the delay.  Most of the delay has been I had a problem describing the "location" of the brackets acurately without relying on the use of the specific brackets/bracket holes I used rather than any 10mm bracket.  I have asked Jeff Hare to help me finalize the article but I will send you a draft of the installation procedure with some pictures.  I would be happy to discuss by facetime or phone or email before you start drilling holes,etc.  Just please do not forward to anyone because I will be editing it before sending.  OK?  My name is Neil Kornblatt  631 697-9037 ks...@aol.com  If you want to discuss send me a cell number.  Thanks.  Neil

rcla...@bigpond.com

읽지 않음,
2018. 7. 15. 오후 6:36:3818. 7. 15.
받는사람 C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Neil

I am very interested in your article.

Regards

Teddy Clausen
Cool Change 294
Email rcla...@bigpond.com

Denny Browne

읽지 않음,
2018. 7. 15. 오후 7:29:4918. 7. 15.
받는사람 C320...@catalina320.com
Me too, and also interested to know if anyone has installed gas struts on the fridge lids. I hinged the outboard lid on the outboard edge, but the crew would really love it if the lids stayed up by themselves.

Denny Browne
Denny....@me.com
310-408-9591
Sent from my iPhone

Scott Thompson

읽지 않음,
2018. 7. 15. 오후 8:54:1718. 7. 15.
받는사람 C320...@catalina320.com
Can't comment on a gas strut, but for the fridge lid I installed a
support similar to this one that works like a charm:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/t-h-marine--lid-support-spring--P024_720_003_514

Elizabeth Schwartz

읽지 않음,
2018. 7. 16. 오전 8:47:1218. 7. 16.
받는사람 C320...@catalina320.com
Ahoy all......I used hinges that hold up the fridge hatch by
themselves.....no struts to get in the way for loading or removing
items.....Joe....#245

John Frost

읽지 않음,
2018. 7. 16. 오전 11:50:3718. 7. 16.
받는사람 C320...@catalina320.com
I installed one on my chart table and love it. It is a spring that just locks in place when unfolded to hold hatch/table open. Trivial to pick mounting points, just hold hatch where you want to lock it and mark the holes.

Only drawback for cockpit locker is if you bump it from the side it releases. Could be painful with a heavy hatch.

+
Happy Sailing! /||\
John / || \
/ || \
/ || \
/ || \
/ || \
/ || \
/ || \
/ || \
/ || \
/ || Hull 1118 \
/ || \
/ || \
/ Catalina || \
/ C320MKII || \
/ 2007 || \
/ ||_____________\
/_____________||____
_________/__________\_____|__
\ Lake Guntersville, AL l_
\________________________________)
\ | | |
\__| |_|

Jeff Hare

읽지 않음,
2018. 7. 16. 오후 2:41:5418. 7. 16.
받는사람 C320...@catalina320.com
Agreed. After having a couple knots slapped on my head from bumping that spring thing while digging around in the nav station and having it release on me,
I switched to a stainless steel version of one of these which is much better.

https://www.hardwaresource.com/lid-support-10-1-2.html

It locks more firmly in place. We won't use anything like this or the spring on the fridge lid. Good way to chop off a finger or get a good knock if it falls.

-Jeff
전체답장
작성자에게 답글
전달