[C320-list] Weeping Keel Bolt

58 праглядаў
Перайсці да першага непрачытанага паведамлення

Tom Grass

не прачытана,
25 мая 2021 г., 16:24:2825.05.21
да C320...@catalina320.com,Tracy Grass
Our bilge pump has been running quite regularly (every 10 minutes or so, 6
seconds each time) ever since launch two weeks ago. We assumed we might
have an internal water leak from one of our two water tanks.

We just learned that during commissioning the marina staff noticed a keel
bolt which was apparently allowing water to “weep” into the bilge. We do
not know the details of this condition, for example does the boat have to
be pulled to fix?

Have any of you had similar experiences?

Thanks.

Tom & Tracy Grass
S/V Bucket List
2008 Catalina 320 MK II
# 1135

RONALD HODEL

не прачытана,
25 мая 2021 г., 16:30:4925.05.21
да C320...@catalina320.com,Tracy Grass
I have no idea having not had that experience but, golly, I would have thought the marina staff commissioning the boat would have said something right away.

Ron Hodel
#1070 Lokomaikai

Sent from my iPad

> On May 25, 2021, at 1:24 PM, Tom Grass <tgra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Our bilge pump has been running quite regularly (every 10 minutes or so, 6

Dave Hupe

не прачытана,
25 мая 2021 г., 18:34:4025.05.21
да C320...@catalina320.com
I doubt a keel bolt is leaking unless your keel to hull joint is severely bad.  My boat is 1994, much older than yours.  I have had similar concerns in the past when I detected seepage that appeared to be a leaking bolt.  Instead there was seepage from elsewhere that migrated into/below the structural grid toward such a low spot and only looked like a leaking bolt on first reaction.  One source of water was my shaft packing gland after I had replaced it and not tightened it much at first.  More recently, I had a leaking original water hose within the structural grid that went from my galley area to the head sink.
Dave Hype
1994 C320 (#32)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 4:30 PM, RONALD HODEL<ronan...@me.com> wrote: I have no idea having not had that experience but, golly, I would have thought the marina staff commissioning the boat would have said something right away.

Ian Neale

не прачытана,
25 мая 2021 г., 21:23:2025.05.21
да C320...@catalina320.com,Tracy Grass
Hi,

I thought I had a similar issue, in the end it was a plumbing leak internal to the boat.

At one point I call the technical team at Catalina, Warren Pandy, he was very helpful in describing the process to deal with keel bolt issues.

I suggest you give him a call.

Good luck, Ian.

Solutions, Hull 1122.

Sent from. my iPhone

> On May 26, 2021, at 8:30 AM, RONALD HODEL <ronan...@me.com> wrote:
>
> I have no idea having not had that experience but, golly, I would have thought the marina staff commissioning the boat would have said something right away.

P.F. Ross

не прачытана,
26 мая 2021 г., 11:42:2226.05.21
да C320...@catalina320.com
Tom,

I, too, have wondered about water collecting in my bilge around keel
bolts. Like Dave, my boat is much older than yours and has the "shallow
bilge" so water leak paths are probably different between your boat and
mine.

One thing I have done to "test" this water source is to wet the very tip of
my finger in the water and taste it on the tip of my tongue (and I know I
am not the only one who has done this). Salty = bad news. So far, I am
ok, both with not tasting salt and still being alive. Also, prob not a
good idea if you suspect a holding tank leak.

Not sure where you are, but obviously would not work if you were in fresh
water. Good luck!

Frank Ross
Beta Wave #206

John Morrison

не прачытана,
26 мая 2021 г., 12:02:1126.05.21
да C320...@catalina320.com
If the holding tank were the culprit your nose would probably let you know!!
JohnM
1999#574

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 26, 2021, at 11:42 AM, P.F. Ross <pfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Tom,

jackbrennan

не прачытана,
26 мая 2021 г., 12:15:3326.05.21
да C320...@catalina320.com
Another potential source is the seawater pump. There is a shaft seal that will drip into the pan under the diesel for a long time before becoming bad enough for you to notice.Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320Tierra Verde, Fl.Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: John Morrison <sail-a...@sympatico.ca> Date: 5/26/21 11:02 AM (GMT-06:00) To: C320...@catalina320.com Subject: Re: [C320-list] Weeping Keel Bolt If the holding tank were the culprit your nose would probably let you know!!JohnM 1999#574Sent from my iPhone> On May 26, 2021, at 11:42 AM, P.F. Ross <pfr...@gmail.com> wrote:> > Tom,> > I, too, have wondered about water collecting in my bilge around keel> bolts.  Like Dave, my boat is much older than yours and has the "shallow> bilge" so water leak paths are probably different between your boat and> mine.> > One thing I have done to "test" this water source is to wet the very tip of> my finger in the water and taste it on the tip of my tongue (and I know I> am not the only one who has done this).  Salty = bad news.  So far, I am> ok, both with not tasting salt and still being alive.  Also, prob not a> good idea if you suspect a holding tank leak.> > Not sure where you are, but obviously would not work if you were in fresh> water.  Good luck!> > Frank Ross> Beta Wave #206> > > >> On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 5:34 PM Dave Hupe <hoop...@yahoo.com> wrote:>> >> I doubt a keel bolt is leaking unless your keel to hull joint is severely>> bad.  My boat is 1994, much older than yours.  I have had similar concerns>> in the past when I detected seepage that appeared to be a leaking bolt.>> Instead there was seepage from elsewhere that migrated into/below the>> structural grid toward such a low spot and only looked like a leaking bolt>> on first reaction.  One source of water was my shaft packing gland after I>> had replaced it and not tightened it much at first.  More recently, I had a>> leaking original water hose within the structural grid that went from my>> galley area to the head sink.>> Dave Hype>> 1994 C320 (#32)>> >> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android>> >>  On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 4:30 PM, RONALD HODEL<ronan...@me.com>>> wrote:   I have no idea having not had that experience but, golly, I would>> have thought the marina staff commissioning the boat would have said>> something right away.>> >> Ron Hodel>> #1070 Lokomaikai>> >> Sent from my iPad>> >>>> On May 25, 2021, at 1:24 PM, Tom Grass <tgra...@gmail.com> wrote:>>> >>> Our bilge pump has been running quite regularly (every 10 minutes or>> so, 6>>> seconds each time) ever since launch two weeks ago.  We assumed we might>>> have an internal water leak from one of our two water tanks.>>> >>> We just learned that during commissioning the marina staff noticed a keel>>> bolt which was apparently allowing water to “weep” into the bilge.  We do>>> not know the details of this condition, for example does the boat have to>>> be pulled to fix?>>> >>> Have any of you had similar experiences?>>> >>> Thanks.>>> >>> Tom & Tracy Grass>>> S/V Bucket List>>> 2008 Catalina 320 MK II>>> # 1135>> >>

Bob Borelli

не прачытана,
26 мая 2021 г., 13:41:4926.05.21
да C320...@catalina320.com
Bilge pump running every 10 minutes would give me cause for concern.
On my hull 209 leaking water tanks, holding tank or hoses would leak into the lower bilge, not the upper bilge pan.

I would suspect the keel bolts because they penetrate the upper bilge pan.
I would towel dry, air dry around each bolt individually and sprinkle green Comet or a product specifically designed to locate tiny water leaks.

I have poured food colored water into the bilge area under the shaft/stuffing box, it drains to the upper bilge pan and the lower bilge,
From the hole cut out for the elbow from the aft tank going forward to the water pump.

The Cold box drain, stuffing box, raw water pump and hoses, indirect coolant hoses would drain into the upper bilge pan.

I've ruled out leaks from the water, holding tank, hoses, rudder deck plate, by using food coloring.

Bob Borelli 1995 C320 no. 209.
________________________________
[...]

Dave Chase

не прачытана,
26 мая 2021 г., 14:35:2626.05.21
да C320...@catalina320.com
Another possibility is a crack in the aqua lift. We had a small crack in the forward port corner of the muffler, where it bolts to the hull. Started seeing a little water in the bilge, then more and more till we finally traced it to the muffler.

Dave Chase

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 26, 2021, at 1:41 PM, Bob Borelli <cassa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Bilge pump running every 10 minutes would give me cause for concern.

Dave Hupe

не прачытана,
26 мая 2021 г., 14:55:4226.05.21
да C320...@catalina320.com
Tom-
What is the condition of your keel to hull joint?
Mine was in very bad shape (especially at the aft end)  and yet I did not have a leak along that interface (which would have to be the leak source to the bolts if at all). I spent $3200 my first season having the boat hauled and hung to keep the joint open, that entire joint ground/sanded for about a foot each way up the hull and down the keel,  several layers of fiberglass was applied all around, then thickened West Systems epoxy was used to fair out the area.  It was finished with barrier coat and finally bottom paint.
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 6:34 PM, Dave Hupe<hoop...@yahoo.com> wrote: I doubt a keel bolt is leaking unless your keel to hull joint is severely bad.  My boat is 1994, much older than yours.  I have had similar concerns in the past when I detected seepage that appeared to be a leaking bolt.  Instead there was seepage from elsewhere that migrated into/below the structural grid toward such a low spot and only looked like a leaking bolt on first reaction.  One source of water was my shaft packing gland after I had replaced it and not tightened it much at first.  More recently, I had a leaking original water hose within the structural grid that went from my galley area to the head sink.
Адказаць усім
Адказаць аўтару
Наперад
0 новых паведамленняў