[C320-list] Steering quadrant tension (?)

Sara Schroeder Skinner

Jun 2, 2021, 10:24:15 PMJun 2
to C320 Blog
Hi all,
On a recent race we noticed that the helm has too much play in it. The more experienced skipper on board (not me) said that all I need to do is slightly tighten the cable on the steering quadrant. Having not done this before I wondered if anybody has any advice of how to determine how much I need to tighten it.

Sara
Wandering Star
2000/#707

Sent from my iPhone

Chris Burti

Jun 2, 2021, 10:37:12 PMJun 2
to C320...@catalina320.com
The should be firm but allow a slight deflection when pressed laterally.

Thanks,
Chris Burti
Farmville, NC

Joe Luciano

Jun 2, 2021, 10:41:43 PMJun 2
to C320...@catalina320.com
Sara,

There are a couple of YouTube videos on doing this for a 320 quadrant. It’s pretty easy. I tightened mine up a couple of years ago, took about 30 minutes as I recall.

Joe Luciano
Second Wind
2005 #1044

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 2, 2021, at 7:37 PM, Chris Burti <clb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The should be firm but allow a slight deflection when pressed laterally.

Chris Burti

Jun 2, 2021, 10:43:09 PMJun 2
to C320...@catalina320.com
Also.. tighten both sided the same number of turns or your wheel won’t be centered…

Thanks,
Chris Burti
Farmville, NC