[C320-list] Lifeline replacement

Charles Martin

Feb 28, 2021, 5:56:53 PM2/28/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Dear Shipmates:

I am planning to use the C320 International Association's lifeline crimping
tool to replace my lifelines. Has anyone done this recently? I am
thinking of using 1x19 stainless steel wire at 3/16" diameter (without the
plastic coating). Does anyone know if the tool, which I haven't picked up
yet, will crimp pelican hooks onto this diameter of wire? I am planning to
get the wire and hardware from Defender. Any advice would be appreciated.

Best,
Chip Martin
S/V Bonaventure, hull #767
(410) 231-0199
chipr...@gmail.com

Joe Jablonowski

Feb 28, 2021, 6:13:45 PM2/28/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Or, you can mail your old lifelines to Rigging Only and have them do the work for you. Mine were copied professionally swaged and the lengths perfectly matched.- Joe Jablonowski  s/v Assignment  C 320 #103

Chris Burti

Feb 28, 2021, 7:06:10 PM2/28/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Chip,
If these are the same tool that I contributed to tha Association, they are robust and will crimp the Johnson fittings securely.

Thanks,
Chris Burti
Commitment, #867
Farmville, NC

Jeff Smith

Feb 28, 2021, 8:03:15 PM2/28/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Chip,

The key is to make sure you buy fittings that are hand-crimp able. Once you do that, even pressure as you tighten both bolts is the key.

Also, make sure you have a good set of cutters that will cut the wire without the ends fraying.

If you search the past threads, I put a detailed write-up out that included the numbers for all of my fittings. If you can’t find it, email me directly and I will send it to you. The only caveat is that I re-used my pelican hooks.

Jeff
‘94, #121

Sent from a TRS80 computer

> On Feb 28, 2021, at 5:56 PM, Charles Martin <chipr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Shipmates:

Charles r Martin

Feb 28, 2021, 9:08:59 PM2/28/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Thanks Jeff. I’ll go back and look again.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 28, 2021, at 8:03 PM, Jeff Smith <jeffre...@live.com> wrote:
>
> Chip,

Allan Field

Mar 1, 2021, 11:13:33 AM3/1/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Chip - It looks like from your area code that you might be local to the
Chesapeake Bay. If so, another option is the rigging shop at West Marine,
Hillsmere, Annapolis. I had them do my C320 many years ago and the job was
excellent. My memory is that they reused my pelican hooks which would have
cut the cost down a lot. This was done in 2011 at a cost of $386.00 total.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - C387,m #103 (formerly C320, #808)
Columbia, MD

Joe Geiger

Mar 1, 2021, 5:00:20 PM3/1/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
We re-did the lifelines on Vega two years ago when we purchased her. We got a kit for the C320 from Catalina Direct that came with all the parts and the crimper tool. They have both coated and non-coated lifelines. Installation took about 2 hours and was pretty straight forward.

With the CD lines you crimp them in several spots along the swage fitting. I don’t think it looks as good as what our rigging shop could have done but it was half the price.

Joe

Joe Geiger
"Vega” Hull #722
Greenwich Cove, RI

Cheryl Dahl

Mar 1, 2021, 5:18:48 PM3/1/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Chip ,
I just replaced mine with CD kit as well .
I purchased from my neighbor at the marina who had ordered them for his
girlfriend’s 310 and she sold the boat .
The CD kit is good for 30 ,310 and 320 .
The instructions call for 5 crimps on each fitting. To expedite the process
I used a cordless impact to drive the two bolts on the swedge tool . One of
the easier projects for our boat .
Cheers
Steve Dahl
#412 Sans Souci

Troy Dunn

Mar 1, 2021, 7:16:37 PM3/1/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
If you are thinking maybe a rigger then I am definitely a plus one on west
marine rigging shop. They did a fantastic job, it looks very
professional. I can dig up our costs...I don’t think it was double CD DIY
cost, but we did reuse all the hooks etc.

The cost differential was worth the piece of mind and good looks of a
professional install to us. YMWV.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514

Sara Skinner Schroeder

Mar 2, 2021, 11:27:12 PM3/2/21
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
This email string is timely as I was just getting ready to order the CD pre-made lifelines for my 2000. I looked at the suggestion of sending my old life lines to Rigging Only but they are in Massachusetts. I’m in Seattle. I don’t mind trying this myself but I am a little disconcerted by the thought of having to use the tools and the job not looking professional. Would be interested in thoughts of doing it myself or just jobbing it out to a rigger. It appears the CD cost would be somewhere around $650 for parts only.
Sara
Wandering Star
2000/#707

> [...]
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scott Westwood scottw...@bellsouth.net C (919)- 819-9794
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 06:55:15 -0800
> From: RONALD HODEL <ronan...@me.com>
> To: C320...@catalina320.com
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Midship cleat on traveler
>
> The track is 1 1/4?
> Ron Hodel
> Lokomaikai #1070
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Mar 2, 2021, at 6:41 AM, Scott Westwood <scottw...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> ?I am not near the boat. Does anybody know the size Jib traveler for 1998 C320?I decided to go with a cleat on the Jib traveler. I think it is a 1 inch traveler?? I will measure for sure before I purchase but if anybody else can confirm then it will narrow my search.
>> Thanks,
>> Scott Westwood scottw...@bellsouth.net C (919)- 819-9794
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 09:58:35 -0500
> From: Steven Snyder <mss...@gmail.com>
> To: C320...@catalina320.com
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Midship cleat on traveler
>
> I used the 1 - 1/4? track Schaefer Mid-Rail cleats (Defender 612955) as
> well.
>
> Steve Snyder
> Windcatcher #1101
>

>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 9:52 AM Christian <cca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Scott,
>> 1994, #138, mine is 1 1/4". I got the stainless steel midship from Catalina
>> Direct, works nice.
>>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 8:47 AM P.F. Ross <pfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Scott,
>>> My jib track is 1-1/4".
>>> I use two each Schaefer Mid-Rail cleats (Defender 612955) and they work
>>> great!
>>> Frank Ross
>>> Beta Wave #206
>>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 9:41 AM Scott Westwood <
>> scottw...@bellsouth.net
>> 1998
>> a 1
>> anybody
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 11:20:04 -0600
> From: Jerry Schrock <jschr...@comcast.net>
> To: C320...@catalina320.com
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Midship cleat on traveler
>
> Track on mine is 1 1/4 in. 1998 #500
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Mar 2, 2021, at 08:52, Christian <cca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ?Scott,
>> 1994, #138, mine is 1 1/4". I got the stainless steel midship from Catalina
>> Direct, works nice.
>>> Scott,
>>> My jib track is 1-1/4".
>>> I use two each Schaefer Mid-Rail cleats (Defender 612955) and they work
>>> great!
>>> Frank Ross
>>> Beta Wave #206
>

> End of C320-list Digest, Vol 3952, Issue 1

Troy Dunn

Mar 3, 2021, 5:25:41 AM3/3/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Sarah

West Marine has a rigging shop n Seattle. I'm by no means a West Marine
fan boy, but in the case of lifeline rigging I was really impressed with
the job they did. Go with bare wire, it gives the boat a cleaner look to my
eye and it may stave off the inevitable crevice corrosion you get on vinyl
covered wire.

FWIW

Troy Dunn
Hull #514

islg...@aol.com

Mar 3, 2021, 10:04:47 AM3/3/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I spoke to West Marine yesterday and they estimated $550 -600 using me existing hardware. They are worth a call.
RichBarbara Rita 897

Bruce Heyman

Mar 3, 2021, 10:40:28 AM3/3/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
We used the San Diego West Marine rigging shop many years ago to replace our lifelines on our previous boat. The whole process worked out very well.
Bruce
Somerset, San Pedro, CA

Daniel Kolean

Mar 4, 2021, 11:27:43 AM3/4/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I had WM do mine, plastic covered, great job, very happy.

Dan Kolean
ENRICH. #498

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 3, 2021, at 5:25 AM, Troy Dunn <troutw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sarah

Louis Spitz

Jun 9, 2021, 11:53:18 AM6/9/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
My 1995 boat has multiple ‘dings’ that need to be refinished. Any thoughts on Evercoat Gel-Kote vs. Interlux Brightside, with & without primer pre-kote?
Thanks in advance.
Lou Spitz
1995 C320 Merry Chase

Timothy Woods

Jun 9, 2021, 12:47:31 PM6/9/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I have a 1996 and fixed all my Nick's with Spectrum color matching gelcoat
past. The color was really close and wasn't hard to work with.

Tim
Hull #375

Louis Spitz

Jun 9, 2021, 12:48:54 PM6/9/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
thanks, Tim- I’ll check it out.

Jack Brennan

Jun 9, 2021, 4:05:16 PM6/9/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I painted my old Bristol, a 1974, and would never use one-part paint again on a boat.

UV causes it to fade in a couple of years, and it stains much easier than gelcoat. After enough time, it will start to chip. Thus begins a never-ending cycle of painting and repainting.

With high-quality gelcoat like our Catalinas, it is always worthwhile to take the time to patch the gelcoat properly and wax it a couple of times a year. Spectrum has also done the job for me.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> I painted my old Bristol, a 1974, and would never use one-part paint again on a boat.
>
> UV causes it to fade in a couple of years, and it stains much easier than gelcoat. After enough time, it will start to chip. Thus begins a never-ending cycle of painting and repainting.
>
> With high-quality gelcoat like our Catalinas, it is always worthwhile to take the time to patch the gelcoat properly and wax it a couple of times a year. Spectrum has also done the job for me.
>
> Jack Brennan
> Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
> Tierra Verde, Fl.
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Michael Leschisin

Jun 9, 2021, 7:42:32 PM6/9/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Has anyone found a direct color match source for patching the gray non-skid gel coat? (Mine is 2004). I have not found anything on the Catalina direct site, I checked with Spectrum Color but their minimum order for it would be a full quart at around $100 plus crazy shipping cost. I have about four dime size nicks I would like to take care of so I think it will take me 25 years to use a full quart.

Thanks,

Michael Leschisin
Wild Blue Yonder
Menominee, MI

> On Jun 9, 2021, at 9:47 AM, Timothy Woods <woodst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a 1996 and fixed all my Nick's with Spectrum color matching gelcoat

John Frost

Jun 9, 2021, 7:47:29 PM6/9/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Some Gel Coat tips from Practical Sailor

John

2009 C320MKII

Hull #1118

Lake Guntersville, AL

Subscribe now and save

Repairing Crazed Gelcoat

Excerpted from Fiberglass Boat Repair Illustrated

On some early fiberglass boats you may encounter crazed gelcoat – that is, gelcoat that has hardened and become covered with a random network of small cracks. These cracks are not only unsightly, they can allow moisture into the underlying laminate. This is especially problematic for a cored hull or deck, where moisture can easily disrupt the core-skin bond, but even a single-skin hull can suffer blistering or internal delamination from invading moisture.

To repair crazing, first sand the crazed area with 100-grit sandpaper, then wipe down the surface with a solvent such as Interlux’s 2333N Reducing Solvent or DuPont’s Prep-Sol. Do not use acetone for this, as it is fast-drying and may not keep wax and grease in suspension long enough for you to wipe them off. Repair any dents, gouges, or other flaws with a thickened epoxy putty as described above, sand again (this time progressing to 150- to 220-grit) to ensure a smooth hull, and wipe down with solvent again. Follow this by undercoating with a primer. If you are using a two-part linear polyurethane paint (LPU) you will want to use the primer recommended by the maker, usually a two-part primer. If you are going to paint with a one-part topcoat, however, a one-part primer is appropriate. For best compatibility, you should use a primer and topcoat from the same manufacturer. Sand the primer coat with 220- to 320-grit if you think you will need two layers of topcoat, and/or 320- and then 400-grit prior to the final topcoat. You can either roll and tip the topcoat or have a professional spray it for you.

A severe case of crazing may require you to grind away the crazed gelcoat altogether, in which case you will need to replace it with new gelcoat (vinylester as opposed to polyester for underwater portions of the hull) or with an epoxy fairing compound, which can be troweled on much like spackling compound in a home. Another option is to make your own fairing compound by mixing a micro-ballon thickener into an epoxy or polyester resin. Boatyard workers use battens and specialized techniques to fair a hull, but you can achieve good results on your own by fairing a section at a time and building up the fairing in layers no more than 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick. After the last layer of fairing compound has set, the hull should be longboarded to ensure that it is fair and smooth.

For more tips and techniques to help you maintain and repair your fiberglass boat, purchase Fiberglass Boat Repairs Illustrated.

Jun 9, 2021, 8:06:02 PM6/9/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I would suggest instead trying to use white finish gelcoat from West Marine and try to blend your own color using black tint to get a grey.  You can afford to waste a lot at that cost to get the color you want.
Dave Hupe1994 (#32)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 7:42 PM, Michael Leschisin<mlesc...@imagestudios.com> wrote: Has anyone found a direct color match source for patching the gray non-skid gel coat? (Mine is 2004). I have not found anything on the Catalina direct site, I checked with Spectrum Color but their minimum order for it would be a full quart at around $100 plus crazy shipping cost.  I have about four dime size nicks I would like to take care of so I think it will take me 25 years to use a full quart.

Chris Burti

Jun 10, 2021, 11:34:40 AM6/10/21
to 320
I did exactly what Dave recommended and was able to get a perfect color
match on the first try. I was repairing a void that had broken through in
the non-skid. I taped off the area I was working on and used the edge of a
flat rasp to cut out the non-skid diamonds before the gelocat fully
hardened and then smoothed them out with 1000 grit wet /dry on a sanding
block after it had fully hardened.

Fair Winds,
Chris Burti
Commitment #867
Farmville, NC

Dave Hupe

Jun 10, 2021, 12:06:55 PM6/10/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Chris-
I am not sure about your post.  Did you roughly replicate the diamond pattern within your repair area with your rasp/file?  Was this area small so that such an approach worked?
Thanks,Dave Hupe1994 (#32)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 11:34 AM, Chris Burti<clb...@gmail.com> wrote: I did exactly what Dave recommended and was able to get a perfect color

Chris Burti

Jun 10, 2021, 2:23:30 PM6/10/21
to 320
Dave,
Yes it was about quarter size... but I have done similar repairs up to
about 6 inches in diameter/square...bigger than that, and it becomes
easier to simply make a mold out of silicon and feather the joint with a
rasp. The material is easy to work after it has kicked, but hasn't yet
hardened.

Fair Winds,
Chris Burti
Commitment #867