[C320-list] Replacing Stem Fitting

mse...@cox.net

May 3, 2021, 1:03:12 AMMay 3
to C320...@catalina320.com
I have discovered a crack in the stainless steel stem fitting where the
forestay attaches to the deck, and will need to replace it. I am aware that
Catalina Direct offers a fitting, and have a request pending to Catalina
Parts department for a quote on a replacement fitting. But my question is,
how would I get to the nuts on the bolts holding the fitting to the stem?
As best I can tell there is no access unless I could reach all the way
around the from the aft side of the anchor locker, and I don't think my arms
are long enough. Has anyone replaced this fitting on their 320? Do I need
to cut an access port in the front side of the anchor locker to reach the
underside of the fitting? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Seyler

S/V Reality,

Catalina 320, #232

New Orleans, LA

Graeme Clark

May 3, 2021, 5:43:09 AMMay 3
to C320...@catalina320.com
My anchor locker has an access port at the bow end - from the deck not the cabin. I don’t know if it will provide enough reach to get to the bolts but I hope so as I have the same issue although it’s not too bad yet!

Graeme
#366, 1996

Sent from my phone. Excuse typos!

> On 3 May 2021, at 06:03, mse...@cox.net wrote:
>
> I have discovered a crack in the stainless steel stem fitting where the

Graeme Clark

May 3, 2021, 5:46:00 AMMay 3
to C320...@catalina320.com
Photo (possibly ) of my locker here

https://share.icloud.com/photos/06_k8i2Pfl8mXT4hXJgOSYP-Q

Graeme

Sent from my phone. Excuse typos!

> On 3 May 2021, at 10:43, Graeme Clark <c...@skyflyer.co.uk> wrote:
>
> My anchor locker has an access port at the bow end - from the deck not the cabin. I don’t know if it will provide enough reach to get to the bolts but I hope so as I have the same issue although it’s not too bad yet!

John Morrison

May 3, 2021, 8:57:27 AMMay 3
to C320...@catalina320.com
Is a complete new assembly required? Seems to me a competent SS welder could repair it. It needs to come off in any case.
JohnM
1999#574

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 3, 2021, at 5:45 AM, Graeme Clark <c...@skyflyer.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Photo (possibly ) of my locker here

Stephen Cox

May 3, 2021, 9:33:08 AMMay 3
to C320...@catalina320.com
The original design is faulty and prone to crevice corrosion. A competent welder may restore it to the original condition but the design will still be prone to failing over time. Better to replace the fitting rather than attempt to repair it IMHO. See https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwif-azoza3wAhUWzjgGHTPGByoQFjACegQIBBAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.catalina320.com%2Ffilemgmt_data%2Ffiles%2FStemhead%2520Article.pdf&usg=AOvVaw32uKnZY0Z1tTrUFSvJSFzR for an article showing what happens.

Regards,

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141

Graeme Clark

May 3, 2021, 9:43:07 AMMay 3
to Catalina list

I think the other issue is that a welder will be reluctant (or in my case refused outright) to make the repair on the boat (heat transfer I guess?) so the fitting has to be removed first whatever choice you take- repair or replace. Catalina Direct require you to send the old one to them so they can pattern match for exactly hole drillings and charge $250 and you will have a significant wait.

Any half competent marine fabricator should be able to make you one up from scratch for less than that and probably a sight faster too!

That article was written by me following a failure on a boat I owned a share of prior to owning my own. Luckily I wasn't onboard at the time! My own boat is showing just the tiniest signs of the same thing starting to happen so I plan to get it fixed ASAp.

Graeme

Dennis Cookson

May 3, 2021, 10:24:09 AMMay 3
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Mark,

I’d be interested to see a photo of this crack in the stem fitting if you’re able to post it, so I know exactly what to watch out for.

Rgds,
Dennis Cookson
Catalina #577

jackbrennan

May 3, 2021, 5:51:03 PMMay 3
to C320...@catalina320.com
Unless I-m mistaken, you're talking about the chainplate for the forestay. It's a very bad idea to try to fix it with welding.If that goes, your entire rig comes down. And no insurance company would pay once it saw a weld.If it is the chainplate, hire a rigger and do it right. And have him check the rest of the rigging while he's at it.If the rigging is original, it's long past its due date. Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320Back home in Tierra Verde, Fl.Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Dennis Cookson <den...@cooksons.net> Date: 5/3/21 10:24 AM (GMT-05:00) To: "C320...@catalina320.com" <C320...@Catalina320.com> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Replacing Stem Fitting Hi Mark,I’d be interested to see a photo of this crack in the stem fitting if you’re able to post it, so I know exactly what to watch out for. Rgds,Dennis CooksonCatalina #577> On 3 May 2021, at 06:03, mse...@cox.net wrote:> > I have discovered a crack in the stainless steel stem fitting where the> forestay attaches to the deck, and will need to replace it.  I am aware that> Catalina Direct offers a fitting, and have a request pending to Catalina> Parts department for a quote on a replacement fitting.  But my question is,> how would I get to the nuts on the bolts holding the fitting to the stem?> As best I can tell there is no access unless I could reach all the way> around the from the aft side of the anchor locker, and I don't think my arms> are long enough.  Has anyone replaced this fitting on their 320? Do I need> to cut an access port in the front side of the anchor locker to reach the> underside of the fitting?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.> > > > Mark Seyler> > S/V Reality, > > Catalina 320, #232> > New Orleans, LA> > >

Ian Neale

May 3, 2021, 8:04:26 PMMay 3
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi,

I agree you should do that repair professionally.

The cracks in the weld is a somewhat common issue. There is a new design for the chainplate make sure you get the latest design in the replacement.

Cheers, Ian.

Hull 1122, Solutions.

Sent from. my iPhone

> On May 4, 2021, at 9:51 AM, jackbrennan <jackb...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> Unless I-m mistaken, you're talking about the chainplate for the forestay. It's a very bad idea to try to fix it with welding.If that goes, your entire rig comes down. And no insurance company would pay once it saw a weld.If it is the chainplate, hire a rigger and do it right. And have him check the rest of the rigging while he's at it.If the rigging is original, it's long past its due date. Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320Back home in Tierra Verde, Fl.Sent from my Galaxy

Larry Frank

May 4, 2021, 8:52:39 AMMay 4
to C320...@catalina320.com
Agreed that the stemhead should be replaced with new and I recommend the new design. I just replaced the stemhead on WindSwept (1995 #246) for the second time. First was in 2006. The old design is prone to failure as I can attest. When you go to the bother of taking the failed stemhead off and the reinstalling something why not go with a new one with a better design? You may want to check directly with Garhauer (Garhauermarine.com) who makes all of them. You should be able to save some money over Catalina or CD. Be prepared to send in the old fitting so they can make sure they get the new one correct. I believe all of the sourcing options will require this and you should want to take this approach too as not all C320s are exactly the same.

Larry
WindSwept
C320 #246

On 5/3/21, 4:51 PM, "C320-list on behalf of jackbrennan" <c320-lis...@lists.catalina320.com on behalf of jackb...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

[...]

Dave Hupe

May 4, 2021, 9:08:24 AMMay 4
to C320...@catalina320.com
Larry -  why 2 times?  Was the first replacement the old design?   Did you do this with the mast removed, or somehow with mast up and supporting the front stay say using a cleat?
Dave Hupe1994 C320 (#32)________________________________________________________________________________________________________

wind...@stx.rr.com

May 7, 2021, 10:31:41 AMMay 7
to C320...@catalina320.com
Dave - Sorry for the delayed response. We have WindSwept since new in
1995. The stemhead was replaced in 2006 when a short horizontal crack
between the top and next bolt was discovered during a rig inspection.
This winter my rigger noticed a few cracks in the welds on the deck
part of the stemhead and recommended replacement. The first two were
both the original design. Now I have the new design. The replacements
were made with the mast in place using the jib and spin halyards for
support. The halyards were secured to the bow cleats and pulled
tight. The headsail should be removed.
Larry
Get [1]Outlook for iOS

May 7, 2021, 10:47:18 AMMay 7
to wind...@stx.rr.com, C320...@catalina320.com
What year or hull number was the new design of stem fitting implemented?
Ken Geiger2000 #765

Dave Hupe

May 7, 2021, 12:06:27 PMMay 7
to C320...@catalina320.com
Thanks Larry.  I thought that might be the case when you were replacing it again. Also good to confirm about keeping the mast up and using the halyards tied to the bow cleats.
Was it easy (relative being the key word here) to get to the bolts thru the hatch in the front of the anchor locker?
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 (#32)

Larry Frank

May 8, 2021, 12:49:04 PMMay 8
to C320...@catalina320.com
Dave,

I did the replacement the first time, my rigger the second. In order to access the inside of the hull to remove and install the nuts on the bolts you need to have relatively small hands and arms. Popeye couldn't do it. My rigger had his daughter who sometimes assists him reach in because his hands and arms were too big.

Larry

Larry Frank

May 8, 2021, 1:01:00 PMMay 8
to KEN GEIGER, C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Ken,

I am not sure but I think that the improved design may have been implemented after production of the 320 ended.  Maybe someone with one of the newer boats can confirm this.  I believe there is a listing of design modifications and hull numbers on the C320IA website but I have not tried to look there for your answer.  Catalina Direct sells the new design fitting and has photographs including some pics of failed fittings too on their website.  The link is: https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-36/rigging/standing-rigging/stem-fitting-c-320-c-34-c-36/?SearchResults=1

Hope this answers all of the questions.

Larry

WindSwept

C320 #246

From: KEN GEIGER <ken...@aol.com>
Date: Friday, May 7, 2021 at 9:47 AM
To: "wind...@stx.rr.com" <wind...@stx.rr.com>, "C320...@Catalina320.com" <C320...@Catalina320.com>

KEN GEIGER

May 15, 2021, 7:34:56 PMMay 15
to Larry Frank, C320...@catalina320.com
At Northern Dream today and found she has the new design stem fitting (as in the Catalina Direct link below) with no obvious signs that it is a replacement.
Ken Geiger
#765 2000

Sent from the all-new AOL app for Android

On Sat., 8 May 2021 at 13:00, Larry Frank<Wind...@stx.rr.com> wrote: #yiv6693164012 #yiv6693164012 -- _filtered {} _filtered {}#yiv6693164012 #yiv6693164012 p.yiv6693164012MsoNormal, #yiv6693164012 li.yiv6693164012MsoNormal, #yiv6693164012 div.yiv6693164012MsoNormal {margin:0in;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;}#yiv6693164012 a:link, #yiv6693164012 span.yiv6693164012MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv6693164012 span.yiv6693164012EmailStyle18 {font-family:sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv6693164012 .yiv6693164012MsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} _filtered {}#yiv6693164012 div.yiv6693164012WordSection1 {}#yiv6693164012