[C320-list] Priming Fresh Water Pump

John Stetson

Apr 6, 2021, 1:43:19 PMApr 6
to C320...@catalina320.com
I have a 1-yr old Shurflo Aqua King II, 3.0 GPM, Model 4138. Once again I
seem to have lost the prime and the pump does not have the suction to draw
from the tanks. It is fine once I establish the prime and then keep water
in the tanks. The issue now is that the tanks were pumped dry for
winterizing and then antifreeze added. Any suggestions for easy priming
tricks?

John Stetson
Morning Star Again
Hull #578

Chris Nichols

Apr 6, 2021, 2:10:44 PMApr 6
to C320...@catalina320.com
You could try filling the tanks then with the pump switched off and the forward tank valve open, leave the sink tap open for a while - turning on the water pump for a couple of seconds once a minute. Repeat 4-5 times and the air should bleed.

Chris

> On 6 Apr 2021, at 18:43, John Stetson <jbstet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a 1-yr old Shurflo Aqua King II, 3.0 GPM, Model 4138. Once again I

KEN GEIGER

Apr 6, 2021, 2:33:15 PMApr 6
to jbstet...@gmail.com, C320...@catalina320.com
There should be a filter before the pump, is that clean??  It should self prime if you have something in the tank to pump.  A Google search to west Marine says it self primes up to 6 ft.  Maybe there is dirt in the check valves or diaphragm.  Maybe you have a line blockage?  You do not want easy priming tricks you want to determine why it does not self prime.

Put some water in the tanks above the level of the pump, disconnect the inlet line at the pump and see if water runs from each tank one at a time.  If so and the pump will not pump, then you need to likely clean the pump head.
Good Luck and do not forget to tell us what you find.
Ken GeigerNorthern Dream  #765

Doug Treff

Apr 6, 2021, 3:43:31 PMApr 6
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
I can endorse Chris' method. The forward tank, when full, is higher than the aft tank and I always have an easier time getting the system primed when the forward tank is full and the one selected.

I always run my aft tank first, that way, if I lose prime when it goes empty, it's easier to re-prime it from the forward tank.

--
Doug Treff
do...@treff.us

John Morrison

Apr 6, 2021, 5:43:20 PMApr 6
to C320...@catalina320.com
Fill the aft tank and open the aft feed valve. The water level will be higher than the pump and should readily prime.
JohnM
1999#574

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 6, 2021, at 2:33 PM, KEN GEIGER <ken...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>  There should be a filter before the pump, is that clean?? It should self prime if you have something in the tank to pump. A Google search to west Marine says it self primes up to 6 ft. Maybe there is dirt in the check valves or diaphragm. Maybe you have a line blockage? You do not want easy priming tricks you want to determine why it does not self prime.

Joe Jablonowski

Apr 7, 2021, 8:49:05 AMApr 7
to c320...@catalina320.com, C320...@catalina320.com
I added a T fitting with a capped garden-hose connection, installed downstream of the water pump.In the Spring, I use a shop vac to suck out all the pink antifreeze. Then the water tanks are filled, faucets are closed, and the vacuum primes the pump.- Joe Jablonowski  s/v Assignment #103