[C320-list] Schaefer 2000 Furler

Marko Jamnik

May 10, 2022, 9:53:08 PM5/10/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
Looking for advice on my Schaefer Furler 2000. Currently my main problem is that I have a least two major kinks at two of the joints, where the foils/sail extrusions join, they are connected with an 8" joint/ bearing inserts with 8 rivets. I tried to replace the rivets but the holes look oblong and there isn't a smooth flow. When I raise my swivel it stops at the joint. So my question here is do I replace the complete Furler or do I just replace the foil sections and purchase the connector joint bearing inserts and put in new rivets. If anyone has encountered this problem and solution options, like where to purchase parts or is Schaefer the only source. I'm located in Toronto area.

Thank you
Marko Jamnik
Marquesas 304
Lake Ontario

Sent from my iPad

David Prudden

May 10, 2022, 10:08:46 PM5/10/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
Marko,
Schaefer Marine customer service has been excellent whenever I had a question-they’ll give you an honest solution, not just try to sell expensive parts. Give ‘‘em a call- it can’t hurt! (Well, maybe it hurts the wallet a little but you won’t know if you don’t call!)

508-995-9511

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 10, 2022, at 9:53 PM, Marko Jamnik <markoj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Looking for advice on my Schaefer Furler 2000. Currently my main problem is that I have a least two major kinks at two of the joints, where the foils/sail extrusions join, they are connected with an 8" joint/ bearing inserts with 8 rivets. I tried to replace the rivets but the holes look oblong and there isn't a smooth flow. When I raise my swivel it stops at the joint. So my question here is do I replace the complete Furler or do I just replace the foil sections and purchase the connector joint bearing inserts and put in new rivets. If anyone has encountered this problem and solution options, like where to purchase parts or is Schaefer the only source. I'm located in Toronto area.

greg.f...@shaw.ca

May 10, 2022, 10:50:24 PM5/10/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
I am not sure I fully understand your problem, but it sounds like the same
one I had at least five years ago. I replaced the broken/missing rivets each
with a small bolt, nut, and lock washer. The bolt must have the right head
to seat and be the perfect length so that when the drum spins it does not
touch the bolt end. This fixed my problem and I have had great service ever
since. I am not at the boat but if this idea is at all relevant, I can take
a photo tomorrow.

Greg Flanagan
Hoop Dancer #1076
Sidney, BC

Jeff Hare

May 13, 2022, 9:44:22 AM5/13/22
to C320...@catalina320.com
Assuming it's actually a Shaefer 2100, I believe you can replace just the
foils. There is no reason (unless it's damaged) to replace the drum
assembly. I think it might be possible (but not 100% certain) that the foil
sections could be removed with several extra hands while at a dock or better
yet, in the yard on stands. The parts I'm uncertain of here is, once you
remove the drum assembly, whether the foils will slide over the swaged
threaded part. I believe it will.

While doing this you certainly want to replace the bearings in the top and
lower assembly and the top plastic weather cap thing (name?) because it
tends to get old and crack.

As you remove the sections, I'd assume that you'll carefully measure and
ensure that the new foil section (as joined) are exactly the same length.
Probably slide on each section one at a time, connecting them before feeding
up the next foil section. Would be good to remove and lay out the old foil
and measure out the new one alongside.

Try to be sure that your headstay is tensioned to not have too much sag or
it makes furling more difficult, causes wear and will certainly stress the
points where the foils connect.

-Jeff Hare