[C320-list] Second bilge pump

Scott Westwood

Jul 22, 2021, 10:06:28 AM7/22/21
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
I am interested in adding a second bilge pump (Safety/redundancy).  Were did you tie in the output?  "Y" fitting on existing one with check valve?  Ran entire new line with new thru-hull (surely not)?
I am recently experiencing the same thing in a recent thread: Bilge pump doesn't always shut off quick enough (Keeps running longer than it used to).
Pics?  Examples?

Thanks,

Scott Westwood scottw...@bellsouth.net C (919)- 819-9794

RONALD HODEL

Jul 22, 2021, 11:18:58 AM7/22/21
to C320...@catalina320.com, c320...@lists.catalina320.com
I’ll try to get down to the boat, take pictures and put them on my page on the 320 site - we added a “crash pump” with the float switch up higher in the bilge. We did NOT tee into any existing line but rather ran an entirely new line with vented loop to the stern where it exits via it’s own new (well, not new now) thru-hull. I wanted it to be completely redundant and not dependent on any other existing system.

Ron Hodel
Lokomaikai #1070

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 22, 2021, at 7:09 AM, Scott Westwood <scottw...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> I am interested in adding a second bilge pump (Safety/redundancy). Were did you tie in the output? "Y" fitting on existing one with check valve? Ran entire new line with new thru-hull (surely not)?

Stephen Cox

Jul 22, 2021, 11:57:59 AM7/22/21
to C320...@catalina320.com, c320...@lists.catalina320.com

> I am interested in adding a second bilge pump
> (Safety/redundancy).  Were did you tie in the output?  "Y"
> fitting on existing one with check valve?  Ran entire new
> line with new thru-hull (surely not)?
> I am recently experiencing the same thing in a recent thread:
> Bilge pump doesn't always shut off quick enough (Keeps
> running longer than it used to).
> Pics?  Examples?

I installed a second larger pump with completely independent plumbing to the rear of the boat with the outlet coming out from the
side of the port rear step and pumping across the back platform towards the starboard side step. This locates the outlet well above
the normal water level and is very easily seen / monitored if it is running. I made up my own control using two float switches and
some relays so that it switches on at a much higher level than the first pump. Both float switches need to be on before the pump
and an audible alarm will activate and then both have to be off before the pump stops. The significant depth difference provides
more than enough hysteresis so any flush back will not be sufficient of itself to reactivate the pump. As a belt and braces
exercise, I placed an additional electronic water level switch at a slightly higher level that drives two independently powered and
fused relays to provide independent power to both pumps should the switching for both pumps fail.

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141

danny jensen

Jul 22, 2021, 6:41:39 PM7/22/21