[C320-list] Galley sink drains

Tom Grass

Oct 4, 2021, 10:49:03 AM10/4/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
We have a stopped galley sink drain(s) . Planning on taking out drawers
then removing cabinet front (6 screws). Looking for ideas on next steps.
Thanks.

Tom Grass
S/V Bucket List
2008 C 320 MK II
1135

Dave Hupe

Oct 4, 2021, 10:58:22 AM10/4/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Tom-
Here is an article with tips for unclogging your drain(s) Clogged Boat Drain - The Boat Galley
Dave Hupe
1994 C320 #32
Holland, MI_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chris Burti

Oct 4, 2021, 11:15:45 AM10/4/21
to 320
In our experience this is usually marine growth at the thru-hull...hard to
deal with from inside the boat..lol... try Barnacle buster first...
https://tinyurl.com/3y4fdmae

Fair Winds,
Chris Burti
Commitment #867
Farmville, NC

Jeff Smith

Oct 4, 2021, 11:18:56 AM10/4/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Tom,

I am not sure where you keep your boat, so here are a few thoughts:

1. This happened once to me, I took the drain hose loose from the sink and used a shop vac to extract the water from the hose. Then, I checked to the thru-hull. It was clogged with food.
2. The other time this happened it was because of growth in the thru-hull on the water side.

If you can take the drain hose loose at the sink and remove the current water, I would be tempted to open the thru-hull and use a hose to try to dislodge anything that may be growing on the bottom side of the thru-hull. I would probably be tempted to do this at the thru-hull but I don’t want to recommend that to someone else. I do know when I pulled this past spring to repaint the bottom, I had to remove some barnacles from inside the thru-hull. I made sure to coat them well with bottom paint this time and I have not had that issue so far (knock on wood).

I am also not a big fan on the 320 of how the two sinks merge into one discharge tube. That is another place that can easily clog. On my boat, this is all accessible without removing the cabinet face.

Good luck.

Jeff, ’94, #121

Timothy Woods

Oct 4, 2021, 11:31:25 AM10/4/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
When I've had that problem in the past I used my air horn. Make sure you
have the stopper nice and tight in the opposite bowl and give a couple of
quick blasts. The air horn also works well at blowing weeds out of the
engine water intake. The water here in Florida goes down to the mid 70s in
the winter.

Tim #375

Tom Grass

Oct 4, 2021, 11:43:31 AM10/4/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Is this the correct email address? I have received no messages from the
association regarding this post. Tom Grass

Chris Burti

Oct 4, 2021, 11:55:25 AM10/4/21
to 320
Check your spam folder, there have been three replies.

Fair Winds,
Chris Burti
Commitment #867
Farmville, NC

Lou

Oct 4, 2021, 12:38:03 PM10/4/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Perhaps it’s a clogged thru hull. You might be able to take the hose off (after shutting the thru hull) and with a screwdriver, open the thru hull and clean it. Surround the screwdriver shaft with I small towel to keep out most of the water. Close the valve and reinstall the hose.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 4, 2021, at 10:49 AM, Tom Grass <tgra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We have a stopped galley sink drain(s) . Planning on taking out drawers

Jeff Hare

Oct 4, 2021, 2:10:51 PM10/4/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Grab your shop vac and suck out the inboard drain and plug the outboard sink.A wet dry vac is so handy.Jeff Hare
-------- Original message --------From: Lou <aron...@gmail.com> Date: 10/4/21 12:38 PM (GMT-05:00) To: C320...@catalina320.com Subject: Re: [C320-list] Galley sink drains Perhaps it’s a clogged thru hull. You might be able to take the hose off (after shutting the thru hull) and with a screwdriver, open the thru hull and clean it. Surround the screwdriver shaft with I small towel to keep out most of the water. Close the valve and reinstall the hose. Sent from my iPhone> On Oct 4, 2021, at 10:49 AM, Tom Grass <tgra...@gmail.com> wrote:> > We have a stopped galley sink drain(s) .  Planning on taking out drawers> then removing cabinet front (6 screws).  Looking for ideas on next steps.> Thanks.> > Tom Grass> S/V Bucket List> 2008 C 320 MK II> 1135

mi...@softscrap.com

Oct 4, 2021, 3:13:34 PM10/4/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
One word of caution. I had the same problem and tried a couple of small plungers to push the stuff out the thru hull. I got a little aggressive and ended up cracking the plastic fitting at the drain on both sinks. I then had to remove the drawer unit (not a big job but a pain) order 2 fittings (of course West Marine didn't have anything in stock at the local store) and replace the fittings. Everything works fine now but in the future, I will be much more gentle with the plunger.

Mike Shetter
PLYMOUTH #621

Oct 4, 2021, 8:23:01 PM10/4/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Another trick is to put a 'slurry' of water and baking soda down the drain
and then pour some vinegar down the drain…..totally safe…stand back though…

Leave the thru Hull open for this maneuver, you want the foaming mixture of
water, and food waste to exit the boat before the reaction settles back down

Troy Dunn
Hull #514

Bob Borelli

Oct 4, 2021, 8:27:36 PM10/4/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
For galley sink clog and sea weed clog of the raw water diesel intake hose between strainer and sea valve,

I keep a '25" hair snake drain cleaner' onboard. $3 Home Depot.

I have replaced the galley sink 'strainer basket' and new red trace reinforced hose.
Easy removal of the galley drawer cabinet assembly, remove 6 wood screws & assembly slides out.

Borelli 1995 C320 # 209 MD