[C320-list] steering

Louis Friedman via C320-list

Jun 29, 2024, 7:59:17 AMJun 29
to C320...@catalina320.com, Louis Friedman
Nothing ruin your perfect evening sail like losing steering! Last night on
a beam reach the wheel basically came off in my hands. The bolt must have
been loose and it fell off along with the key. I was able to put everything
back together pretty quickly but it got me thinking that I have not done a
trial run with the emergency tiller on our new to use 320. Looking through
the manual online I don't see anything about the tiller. Is anyone aware
of a tutorial video or text that I can refer to? Also wondering why the
bolt was loose in the first place. Also looking for a good schematic to
run the reefing lines on the main.

Lou
s/v MissAdventure
Hull #623

Dennis Cookson via C320-list

Jun 29, 2024, 10:09:04 AMJun 29
to C320...@catalina320.com, Dennis Cookson
Lou I recommend some Loctite on the shaft thread. Mine also used to come loose, but no more.

Dennis Cookson
Catalina #0577

> On 29 Jun 2024, at 12:58, Louis Friedman via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:
>
> Nothing ruin your perfect evening sail like losing steering! Last night on

Jeff Hare via C320-list

Jun 29, 2024, 11:18:26 AMJun 29
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jeff Hare
What I used to do was coat the threads inside the nut with loc-tite blue, let it dry completely, then spin it on later.  Still easy to remove but stays put.Jeff Hare
-------- Original message --------From: Dennis Cookson via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> Date: 6/29/24 10:08 AM (GMT-05:00) To: C320...@catalina320.com Cc: Dennis Cookson <den...@cooksons.net> Subject: Re: [C320-list] steering Lou I recommend some Loctite on the shaft thread. Mine also used to come loose, but no more.Dennis CooksonCatalina #0577> On 29 Jun 2024, at 12:58, Louis Friedman via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:> > Nothing ruin your perfect evening sail like losing steering!  Last night on> a beam reach the wheel basically came off in my hands. The bolt must have> been loose and it fell off along with the key. I was able to put everything> back together pretty quickly but it got me thinking that I have not done a> trial run with the emergency tiller on our new to use 320.  Looking through> the manual online I don't see anything about the tiller.  Is anyone aware> of a tutorial video or text that I can refer to?  Also wondering why the> bolt was loose in the first place.  Also looking for a good schematic to> run the reefing lines on the main.> > Lou> s/v MissAdventure> Hull #623

Louis Friedman via C320-list

Jun 30, 2024, 7:38:52 AMJun 30
to C320...@catalina320.com, Louis Friedman
thanks, will pick up some loc tite.

Lou
--
Louis Friedman, DO, FACP
Woodbridge Medical Associates

Dave Hupe via C320-list

Jun 30, 2024, 10:10:13 AMJun 30
to C320...@catalina320.com, Dave Hupe

Aaron Laskowski via C320-list

Jun 30, 2024, 10:18:49 AMJun 30
to C320...@catalina320.com, Aaron Laskowski
Reefing system from 497 manual

Aaron Laskowski via C320-list

Jun 30, 2024, 10:26:30 AMJun 30
to C320...@catalina320.com, Aaron Laskowski
Apologies, apparently I can not have email attachments. Temporary link: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AiHhfY7GyryaiN4A-6glzulJtX61ig?e=dkKOD7

Louis Friedman via C320-list

Jun 30, 2024, 10:55:05 AMJun 30
to C320...@catalina320.com, Louis Friedman
thank you! not sure my tackle is the same up by the mast but will check it
out. there is a ring on the boom, also there is no reef hook on the line
that goes to the luff
but I believe there is a ring on the sail that a reef line can be knotted
to .