[C320-list] Galley Storage

Ken McCrimmon

May 28, 2021, 11:28:54 AMMay 28
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi
I am preparing to start my first full summer on Kia Ora. I am looking for how everybody uses the various storage options in the galley.
For example, the in-counter storage between the stove and the sink. Been trying to figure out what I am going to put in there.

When i put in my dishes, pots and pans, mugs etc, there is not much room for food, besides in the fridge.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Ken

Rene

May 28, 2021, 11:33:53 AMMay 28
to C320...@catalina320.com
Ken,
I put dishes in the back storage behind the fridge. Pots and pans in the
oven. Mugs and cups on the rack above the sink. Chips and tall boxes in
the in-counter storage between stove and sink. Food/drinks in storage on
each side of the microwave. Tin foil, ziplock bags, olive oil, spray pam
behind the stove.
Hope that helps.
Rene'

Bob Borelli

May 28, 2021, 4:06:51 PMMay 28
to C320...@catalina320.com
Ken, I use paper plates, bowls, plastic spoons, forks, couple sharp metal knives.
Food items, I remove packaging prior to onboard, all items in quart or gallon plastic bag.
One pot, one fry pan, one stainless coffee percolator, one mug.
Small trash bags.

________________________________
May 29, 2021, 10:02:30 PMMay 29
to C320...@catalina320.com
We try to store most cooking and baking items in the microwave and oven.
Currently the 'breadbox' above the fridge is all long term food items
(think coffee, tea, spices, snack granola bars, rice and pasta. The dry
well gets 'on deck' storage of room temperature water (for coffee and tea)
and an assortment of stuff we will eat during current trip. Larger amounts
of water and non alcoholic beverages get stored under the port settee.
We don’t drink out of the tap. We buy screw top gallon jugs of water for
the season and refill them at home.

We are fairly well satisfied with the storage solutions for oven and
microwave. We are not thrilled about our situation with the rest of our
storage. When someone finds the optimal solution (if it exists) for use
of the other four compartments. Please advise.

Oh..the alcohol goes in many places...there always seems to be room for
more.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514

RONALD HODEL

May 29, 2021, 10:32:43 PMMay 29
to C320...@catalina320.com
We use the ‘bread box’ for all our pots and utensils (all our pots nest with each other.) The “dry storage” between the stove and the sink we use for coffee, tea, a collapsible kettle, the electric coffee pot (4 cup). Etc. The left locker facing the stove we have all spices, oils, etc, the center locker are cups, plates, etc. the left locker contains nesting and collapsible storage containers. we store food on the shelves port and starboard (we have it hidden from view with canvas - lighter than wooden enclosures - a racing boat trick - keeps it from falling while heeling as well). The canned goods are stowed low in the hull port and starboard to balance weight. That set up worked for our extended cruise and we’ve kept it since we’ve moved back ashore. Personally, I’d rethink coffee storage but it works for my wife and if my wife is happy, I’m happy.

If you want pictures, email ronan...@me.com
Ron
Lokomaikai #1070

Sent from my iPad

> On May 29, 2021, at 7:02 PM, Troy Dunn <troutw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We try to store most cooking and baking items in the microwave and oven.

Chris Nichols

May 30, 2021, 5:37:05 AMMay 30
to C320...@catalina320.com
Interesting to hear all the permutations. Here is one to think about: We have two open-top wooden boxes that neatly fit under the chart table - a space that appears to me to be under utilised in these days of chartplotters at the helm. The boxes remain wedged there firmly under way. In the biggest one closest to centreline we have all pans, kettle etc. The other holds household cleaning items.
This frees up all other lockers for food items and like others we have spices and condiments behind the fridge. Coffee, teas and dry starches in the breadbox. Snacks, crisps and bread in the countertop locker above large serving dishes and bowls.

Chris

> On 30 May 2021, at 03:32, RONALD HODEL <ronan...@me.com> wrote:
>
> We use the ‘bread box’ for all our pots and utensils (all our pots nest with each other.) The “dry storage” between the stove and the sink we use for coffee, tea, a collapsible kettle, the electric coffee pot (4 cup). Etc. The left locker facing the stove we have all spices, oils, etc, the center locker are cups, plates, etc. the left locker contains nesting and collapsible storage containers. we store food on the shelves port and starboard (we have it hidden from view with canvas - lighter than wooden enclosures - a racing boat trick - keeps it from falling while heeling as well). The canned goods are stowed low in the hull port and starboard to balance weight. That set up worked for our extended cruise and we’ve kept it since we’ve moved back ashore. Personally, I’d rethink coffee storage but it works for my wife and if my wife is happy, I’m happy.

Jack Brennan

May 30, 2021, 10:52:19 AMMay 30
to C320...@catalina320.com
The space under the chart table is where we keep the litter box for our seaborne cat, Jocie. She held up well during our six-week trip down western Florida and through the Keys this year, which is more than I can say for some of the crew members I’ve had in the past.

She was never happy when the “house” was moving, but she enjoyed the cozy cabin and watching sunsets from the cockpit. Best of all, she never tried to jump overboard and always retreated to the cabin when the boat was moving.

Food goes in the dry bin. Wine (wrapped in socks) goes in the bins behind the settee backs. Pots, pans, plates, mugs, etc., go in the three lockers above the stove and fridge. The shelf directly above the stove holds spices, paper towels and various other items.

We prefer fresh food, so the fridge gets loaded up. We have a foam divider in it. Colder items are in the starboard section. Items that just need to be chilled are kept to port.

Lastly, we have a Yetti cooler that we strap to the binnacle for drinks. Covered with a towel, it will keep drinks chilled in the Florida sun for two or three days.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10