[C320-list] Seacock question

SV Osprey via C320-list

Jul 14, 2024, 11:01:18 AM (9 days ago) Jul 14
to C320...@catalina320.com, SV Osprey
I am in the process of removing my marine head and replacing it with a composting one. It’s going to be done in stages so my first order of business is going to be disconnecting the head from the intake through hull. Should I cap the through hull off or can I leave 6” of hose connected and plug this off? The seacock services another hose so I cant remove it now (not hauling the boat). Can anybody recommend a hose plug source or type of that is a safe choice? It 3/4” I believe.

Elan
Sv Osprey
1997 Catalina 320 #451

Jeff Hare via C320-list

Jul 14, 2024, 11:19:05 AM (9 days ago) Jul 14
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jeff Hare
If you aren't in the water, You can easily change the double hose top of the thruhull with a single hose version without needing to change the hull-attached base.4 machine screws on the top remove that.  Since you can't just buy the 93 series valve parts separately, you can simply buy a new valve assembly with the hose config you want and pop that on your existing body.This will leave you with your old valve/handle as a spare (which is a very good idea).Jeff Hare
-------- Original message --------From: SV Osprey via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> Date: 7/14/24 11:01 AM (GMT-05:00) To: C320...@catalina320.com Cc: SV Osprey <svospre...@gmail.com> Subject: [C320-list] Seacock question I am in the process of removing my marine head and replacing it with a composting one. It’s going to be done in stages so my first order of business is going to be disconnecting the head from the intake through hull. Should I cap the through hull off or can I leave 6” of hose connected and plug this off?  The seacock services another hose so I cant remove it now (not hauling the boat). Can anybody recommend a hose plug source or type of that is a safe choice? It 3/4” I believe. ElanSv Osprey1997 Catalina 320 #451

Dean Vermeire via C320-list

Jul 14, 2024, 12:02:47 PM (9 days ago) Jul 14
to C320...@catalina320.com, Dean Vermeire
To do what Jeff said while the boat is in the water, you could use a Seabung.

See here: https://www.seabung.com/video.html

SV Osprey via C320-list

Jul 14, 2024, 1:09:54 PM (9 days ago) Jul 14
to C320...@catalina320.com, SV Osprey
It’s in the water. Was hoping not to have to remove the seacock. It works. I just want redundancy for it.
Elan
Sv Osprey
1997 Catalina 320 #451

> On Jul 14, 2024, at 12:03 PM, Dean Vermeire via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:
>
> To do what Jeff said while the boat is in the water, you could use a Seabung.

SV Osprey via C320-list

Jul 14, 2024, 1:13:12 PM (9 days ago) Jul 14
to C320...@catalina320.com, SV Osprey
But that’s interesting. I didn’t realize you can change the parts out of a seacock without changing the through hull. Still I want to have the boat out of the water for sure!
Elan
Sv Osprey
1997 Catalina 320 #451

> On Jul 14, 2024, at 1:06 PM, SV Osprey <svospre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It’s in the water. Was hoping not to have to remove the seacock. It works. I just want redundancy for it.

Christopher Nichols via C320-list

Jul 14, 2024, 3:04:29 PM (9 days ago) Jul 14
to C320...@catalina320.com, Christopher Nichols
Just a thought but yards are totally familiar with replacing seacocks while afloat. Getting them to do it this time would be a whole lot cheaper than getting hauled out. You can watch and get confidence you can do it next time.

I also recall that all Marlon seacocks have a tiny bung that covers the handle screw. This is exactly the right size to block the hole from the outside and there’s a loop for a string to be attached. The idea is to stick in the bung from diving outside the boat, change the seacock then pull the string and get the bung out without a second dive.
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 14, 2024, at 1:12 PM, SV Osprey via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:
>
> But that’s interesting. I didn’t realize you can change the parts out of a seacock without changing the through hull. Still I want to have the boat out of the water for sure!

Jeff Smith via C320-list

Jul 14, 2024, 6:03:42 PM (9 days ago) Jul 14
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jeff Smith
If you are willing to pay a diver, or put it on yourself, you could put a
cofferdam over the water side of the thru-hull, and follow Jeff Hare’s
suggestion to swap the top.

Jeff

SV Osprey via C320-list

Jul 14, 2024, 6:38:55 PM (9 days ago) Jul 14
to C320...@catalina320.com, SV Osprey
So no votes for capping the extra hose opening?
Elan
Sv Osprey
1997 Catalina 320 #451

> On Jul 14, 2024, at 6:03 PM, Jeff Smith via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:
>
> If you are willing to pay a diver, or put it on yourself, you could put a

Jack Brennan via C320-list

Jul 14, 2024, 6:56:52 PM (9 days ago) Jul 14
to C320...@catalina320.com, Jack Brennan
Well, if you're ever planning to install AC or a wash down pump, an extra through hull fitting can save you significant cash.

I don't see anything wrong with a plugged hose, especially if the hoae is long enough that it can end above the water line and be secured.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 310
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone

Greg Arnold via C320-list

Jul 14, 2024, 8:03:32 PM (9 days ago) Jul 14
to C320...@catalina320.com, Greg Arnold
I put a plug in an unused hose on my boat.  No more chance of leaking
than on hoses that are still in use.  Actually, less chance since the
valve will always be closed.

You can get a plug from the hardware store, just make sure it is not
something that will corrode in the underwater environment.

2005 #1054

SV Osprey via C320-list

Jul 14, 2024, 8:21:55 PM (9 days ago) Jul 14
to C320...@catalina320.com, SV Osprey
This seacock shares the head inlet with the shower sump outlet. So it will be open from time to time if the shower sump is in use, but I’ll be on the boat at that time and can keep an eye on it.

I can then change out the seacock this winter when the boat is on the hard.

Thanks for the feedback!

Elan
Sv Osprey
1997 Catalina 320 #451