[C320-list] Jabsco Macerator

Scott Westwood

May 26, 2021, 3:11:55 PM5/26/21
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
I have to service my Jabsco Macerator Model 18590-0000 and found the service kit on Amazon for about $55.  I would like to also replace the blade but (so far) can't find the replacement.  Any thoughts/options out there?  The old one still works but is showing age.  Want to replace it while I have it apart.

Thanks,

Scott Westwood scottw...@bellsouth.net C (919)- 819-9794

Joe Jablonowski

May 26, 2021, 8:20:56 PM5/26/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Here's the review I published on Amazon three years ago, after I replaced my Jabsco macerator with one from Raritan, which fit exactly the same bolt holes and hose locations:

1.0 out of 5 stars Falls Apart, Leaking You-Know-What!Reviewed in the United States on September 14, 2017Size: 12 VoltStyle: FixedVerified Purchase

The threaded studs that bolt the bottom (grinding) portion to the upper motor are fabricated from NON-STAINLESS steel! Naturally, they rust, break, and fall out. That leaves holes in the bottom of the unit, which squirt liquid whenever the sewage system is pressurized, like when the boat gets pumped out at a service dock.

The galling thing is that Jabsco/Xylem KNOWS this and offers a "Service Kit," (product number 17288-1000) that consists of four stainless-steel bolts to replace the faulty studs. Trouble is, nobody tells you this when purchasing the pump. There are multiple reviews of this pump in various online locations (West Marine, etc.) that describe how buyers have had to replace the unit several times in just a few seasons!

So if you MUST purchase this macerator, do yourself a favor and also buy the service kit and apply it BEFORE you install the pump.
Joe Jablonowskis/v Assignment #103

jackbrennan

May 27, 2021, 9:48:34 AM5/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Hi Scott: You can buy a new one at Defender for $160. I think replacing is better than fixing if the price differential is not too large.Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320Tierra Verde, Fl.Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Scott Westwood <scottw...@bellsouth.net> Date: 5/26/21 2:11 PM (GMT-06:00) To: c320...@lists.catalina320.com Subject: [C320-list] Jabsco Macerator I have to service my Jabsco Macerator Model 18590-0000 and found the service kit on Amazon for about $55.  I would like to also replace the blade but (so far) can't find the replacement.  Any thoughts/options out there?  The old one still works but is showing age.  Want to replace it while I have it apart.Thanks,Scott Westwood scottw...@bellsouth.net C (919)- 819-9794

RONALD HODEL

May 27, 2021, 10:35:10 AM5/27/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
I concur with Jack. I rebuilt mine on my old Catalina 30 and it never was quite right. Nothing like having a good macerator that always works

Ron hodel
Lokomaikai #1070

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 27, 2021, at 6:48 AM, jackbrennan <jackb...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Scott: You can buy a new one at Defender for $160. I think replacing is better than fixing if the price differential is not too large.Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320Tierra Verde, Fl.Sent from my Galaxy

KEN GEIGER

May 27, 2021, 4:22:00 PM5/27/21
to scottw...@bellsouth.net, c320...@lists.catalina320.com
I have a Macerator on our 2000 C320 always fresh water boat that will never have been used.  Willing to remove and sell after I test it.  ken...@aol.com if any interest

Ken GeigerNorthern Dream #765 2000 on Georgian Bay