[C320-list] Rudder raplacement

William Russell

Apr 10, 2021, 9:20:31 AMApr 10
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
My next-door neighbor recently got a horrifying call - his 1997 C-320 had
been blown off its jack stands and was lying on its side in the marina(!)
Upon investigation, it's not too badly damaged, but the rudder shaft was
bent and the fiberglass cracked. He needs a replacement rudder.
It looks like he has two choices: an OEM from Catalina, or a "HDPE spade
rudder" by Ruddercraft through Catalina Direct. They make a lot of claims
about the superiority of this "upgrade," but I wondered if anyone on this
list has any experience or opinion about those rudders.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/images/features/Rudder%20Craft%20Spade%20Rudders.pdf?CFID=41234104&CFTOKEN=4fbd46bab4060a1a-573661E1-FE22-7A3B-0C4FF6C4D8055188
Any and all advice appreciated.
Bill Russell
*Little Wing,* 1998 C-320 #545
Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

RONALD HODEL

Apr 10, 2021, 9:38:26 AMApr 10
to C320...@catalina320.com, c320...@lists.catalina320.com
I have not had any experience with rudders (other than I use one) but I certainly hope that your neighbor gets a first-class surveyor to go over every inch of that boat. (And certainly not a surveyor suggested by the boatyard.) And yes, what a horrifying call.
Ron Hodel
#1070 Lokomaikai

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 10, 2021, at 6:20 AM, William Russell <wcr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My next-door neighbor recently got a horrifying call - his 1997 C-320 had

Chris Burti

Apr 10, 2021, 3:47:24 PMApr 10
to C320...@catalina320.com
We’ve replaced ours twice from the Catalina factory with no issues and at a reasonable price. I’ve got one that is a little bent but I believe it could be straightened by a good machinist. Yours if you want to come get it

Best Regards,
Chris Burti
Commitment #867
Farmville North Carolina

> On Apr 10, 2021,at 9:38 AM, RONALD HODEL <ronan...@me.com> wrote:
>
> I have not had any experience with rudders (other than I use one) but I certainly hope that your neighbor gets a first-class surveyor to go over every inch of that boat. (And certainly not a surveyor suggested by the boatyard.) And yes, what a horrifying call.

Doug Treff

Apr 12, 2021, 10:46:48 AMApr 12
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
No rudder experience either but I second Ron's recommendation fully. I had a racing friend whose boat had the same exact thing happen. A cursory inspection looked like they were very lucky but once a surveyor looked it over, the boat was totaled. All the tabbing for the internal grid system had been pulled loose, the keel-hull joint was compromised, and the hull had a crack showing on the inside which was not visible externally.

Advise him to preceded very carefully on this, and as Ron said, get an INDEPENDENT surveyor of his own even if it means paying for another one besides the one your insurance company or yard recommends.

--
Doug Treff
do...@treff.us

Harry Juris

Apr 26, 2021, 10:03:25 AMApr 26
to C320...@catalina320.com, c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Catalina Direct is NOT Catalina. They are a California Catalina Dealer who marks up the Factory prices. Call the Factory in Florida and ask for the parts department, Get a price from them before doing anything else.

Harry Juris
"Polar Star:
1998 C320 #541
Nyack Boat Club. Nyack, NY