[C320-list] Rig tension

Graeme Clark

Oct 12, 2021, 7:49:28 AM10/12/21
to Catalina list
Does anybody have a reference as to what the “normal” tensions would be on shrouds and stays on a C320?

Many thanks

Graeme
1996

RONALD HODEL

Oct 12, 2021, 8:13:49 AM10/12/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Got these from an article I ran across a while back. I have a PDF of the article but I don’t think I can send it via this email thread. If you want it, email me directly at ronan...@me.com

Cap stays-PT-3 gauge18
D1 forward stays-PT-2 gauge 31
D1 aft stays-PT-2 gauge 16
D2 stays-PT-2 gauge 18.5

Ron Hodel
Lokomaikai #1070

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 12, 2021, at 4:49 AM, Graeme Clark <c...@skyflyer.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Does anybody have a reference as to what the “normal” tensions would be on shrouds and stays on a C320?

Stephen Cox

Oct 12, 2021, 10:37:15 AM10/12/21
to C320...@catalina320.com

> Does anybody have a reference as to what the "normal"
> tensions would be on shrouds and stays on a C320?

The definitive article on this can be found at https://c320.org/article.php/20040828173431380

Cheers,

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141
C320 MK II

RONALD HODEL

Oct 12, 2021, 10:41:22 AM10/12/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
That’s the one I’ve got a copy of
Ron

nibj

Oct 13, 2021, 9:49:10 AM10/13/21
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
My boat came with a Loos model-B that measures in pounds. I’d like to check the rigging tension is correct. The conversion charts I have seen don’t seem to make much sense to me. I measure around 40lbs on the D1/2 and back stays (I can’t measure the cap stays). Does this make sense?

Thanks
Peter

KEN GEIGER

Oct 13, 2021, 9:55:05 AM10/13/21
to ni...@mac.com, c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Peter use Google.  See from this group:     https://c320.org/article.php/20040828173431380
Ciao
Ken GeigerNorthern Dream2000 #765

nibj

Oct 13, 2021, 10:04:13 AM10/13/21
to c320...@lists.catalina320.com
Thanks Ken. But this writeup uses some sort of units from the Loos PT-2/3 gauge not pounds (maybe I am not reading carefully enough!). I found the conversion charts online a little unbelievable so just wanted to check what does

D1 forward stays-PT-2 gauge 31

translate to in pounds. Maybe its just best to ask around the boatyard and try to borrow a pt-2/3 gauge.

Best
Peter

Dennis Cookson

Oct 13, 2021, 1:53:55 PM10/13/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
Peter, you can find the Loos rigging guide complete with conversion charts at https://ebyoj2gi6ug.exactdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/INST-07.pdf <https://ebyoj2gi6ug.exactdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/INST-07.pdf>.

If you are using imperial-sized wires, a PT-2 gauge reading of 31 corresponds to a tension of 720lbs for 1/4” wire. Anything in the region of 40lbs would be considered to be extremely slack (off the charts).

Regards,
Dennis Cookson
Catalina #577 1999

Allan Field

Oct 13, 2021, 2:42:57 PM10/13/21
to C320...@catalina320.com
The C320 Association Toolbox Loaner Program has Loos gauges, available to
Association members.

Allan S. Field