[C320-list] Immersion heater

Christopher Nichols via C320-list

Jul 7, 2024, 9:28:32 PMJul 7
to C320...@catalina320.com, Christopher Nichols
Hi,
We are mid cruise on Amanda Rose #476 and have taken a slip for the first time. Shore power appears to be working as it should for batteries and AC. However we are getting no Hot water. I suspect the element may be blown as the breaker was not popped out when we picked up the boat and I have warned the yard to never apply shore power unless they are certain the HW accumulator is full or the breaker is out. The tank was not full when we boarded a week ago so likely in testing the shore power they blew the element.

Can anyone tell me the likely part number and brief me on how to switch it out? The tank is original.

Many thanks!
Chris
Sent from my iPhone

Aaron Laskowski via C320-list

Jul 7, 2024, 9:41:40 PMJul 7
to C320...@catalina320.com, Aaron Laskowski
I have a similar issue on my boat. I've identified the replacement heating element as: https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-380390/electrical/water-heater-seaward-120v-heating-element/

However, for the life of me, I cannot get the old element out. The element is recessed (in my case at least), so a wrench can't get a grip. I've tried a socket, but they also can't get enough of a grip on the old element. If anyone has any input here, I'd also be happy for any advice.

WindSwept via C320-list

Jul 7, 2024, 9:46:11 PMJul 7
to C320...@catalina320.com, WindSwept
Chris,

If you have the Seaward brand heater there is a reset that is located in the junction box where the ships wires connect to the water heater. If power is applied and there is no water in the heater this is supposed to trip. It is difficult to find and reset but this could be your problem. Be sure if you poke around in there you have the power off at the panel first. If you need further information I could send to you but not just now.
Larry
WindSwept C320 #246

> On Jul 7, 2024, at 8:28 PM, Christopher Nichols via C320-list <c320...@lists.catalina320.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,

Christopher Nichols via C320-list

Jul 7, 2024, 11:15:16 PMJul 7
to WindSwept, Christopher Nichols, C320...@catalina320.com
Thanks for this guys.
Pokek around and the reset is not popped. I get zero ohms across the element so it is clearly blown - reckon it should be 8 to 9 for the 1500 watts output.

Getting it out looks to be hard work. Enormous recessed hex I know thread locker is used so perhaps some heat from a torch first? Any thoughts?

Chris

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 7, 2024, at 9:44 PM, WindSwept <wind...@stx.rr.com> wrote:
>
> Chris,

Troy Dunn via C320-list

Jul 8, 2024, 6:04:55 AMJul 8
to C320...@catalina320.com, Troy Dunn
To replace the element you need to pull the heater out of the cabinet area
in order to get sufficient room to work. Remove the drawers and cabinet
base. Make sure there is no power to the heater. Drain the domestic
water system and drain the heater. Remove all the domestic water
connections. You should not need to remove the coolant lines that go to
the engine. They will be on the port side of the heater. Unbolt/screw
the heater from its base and slide the heater out onto the galley floor
enough to get a wrench on the element. Disconnect electrical connections.
Remove heating element. You may need to buy a water heater element
wrench for this. They are the same as the ones for a home water heater,
not that expensive. The pressure relief valve is truly a bear to replace,
it took a very large pipe wrench to get that out and fit a new one.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514

Troy Dunn via C320-list

Jul 8, 2024, 6:23:27 AMJul 8
to C320...@catalina320.com, Troy Dunn
P.S. there should be a gasket on the element. Do not use a torch to
remove. It should not have any thread locker or other mating paste on
this part.

Troy

Christopher Nichols via C320-list

Jul 8, 2024, 3:29:54 PMJul 8
to Troy Dunn, Christopher Nichols, C320...@catalina320.com
Many thanks to all.
All sorted now… for a grand old price of 0$!

Turned out the live wire at the back of the breaker switch was detached.

Interesting to note that the resistance test I did last night was not effective. I will think about why - it could be to do with the reset switch or temp cut off as I had not removed the heater from the circuit before testing resistance.

All the best!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone