BYU student newspaper scoops left-wing media in Duke volleyball racial-slur saga

1 view

Leroy N. Soetoro

Sep 22, 2022, 1:15:28 PM9/22/22
https://nypost.com/2022/09/15/byu-newspaper-scoops-left-wing-media-in-
duke-volleyball-racial-slur-saga/

A college volleyball player alleged spectators hurled racist abuse at her,
but the claims were never proven — and it took a student newspaper to
expose the truth as major left-wing media outlets ate up the tale.

The racist saga involving Brigham Young University first made national
headlines late last month when Duke University sophomore Rachel Richardson
went public with allegations that she had been subjected to racist slurs
every time she served during a volleyball match in Provo, Utah, on Aug.
26.

But BYU dropped a bombshell last week when it revealed that its
“extensive” investigation into the matter, which involved reviewing
multiple videos and CCTV, had found zero evidence to support 19-year-old
Richardson’s claims.

The university also issued an apology and overturned a ban on the
unidentified fan who Duke officials had claimed was responsible for
hurling the racist abuse at Richardson.

The results of the probe validated an Aug. 30 article published by The
Cougar Chronicle — a publication run by conservative BYU students, which
said they had been unable to find a single source in the crowd who heard
the slur.

The article, authored by students Luke Hanson and Thomas Stevenson,
detailed how a source within the BYU athletics department was also quick
to question the racist allegations.

“Doesn’t surprise me that left-wing media went with a narrative before
knowing the whole story,” Stevenson told The Post on Thursday of how
outlets — including the New York Times and CNN — quickly ran with
Richardson’s account.

Stevenson added that his outlet, too, initially believed the allegations
were “legit” but that they started questioning the claims when readers
began contacting them saying it never happened.

“It was a volleyball game, so maybe someone said, ‘Dig’ and she misheard
it as a racial slur,” Stevenson said, as he speculated on how the claims
may have originated.

The controversial narrative had first erupted when Richardson’s godmother,
Lesa Pamplin, took to Twitter on Aug. 27 to say the teen had been called
the N-word every time she served while playing BYU.

“She was threatened by a white male that told her to watch her back going
to the team bus. A police officer had to be put by their bench,” Pamplin
wrote. “5700 folks attended that game. The taunts got louder and louder
when the police came to the bench.”

Pamplin, who wasn’t at the game and has since turned her Twitter profile
private, said in a follow-up statement that “many adults failed my
goddaughter … every American should be enraged that a young lady was
subjected to hateful, demeaning language.”

The allegations sparked widespread backlash and a media frenzy as
Richardson, her godmother and father, who also wasn’t at the game, gave
multiple interviews repeating the claims.

Richardson issued a statement saying she and her black teammates were
“targeted and racially heckled throughout the entirety of the match” and
that the slurs grew into “threats which caused us to feel unsafe.”

She said BYU officials and coaching staff were alerted to the situation
during and immediately after the game, “but [they] failed to take the
necessary steps to stop the unacceptable behavior.”

The allegations sparked widespread condemnation, including from Utah Gov.
Spencer J. Cox, who wrote in a since-deleted tweet: “I’m disgusted that
this behavior is happening and deeply saddened if others didn’t step up to
stop it.”

Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James also chimed in, tweeting in support
of Richardson: “We have her back. This is not sports.” His tweet has not
been removed.

BYU quickly issued a public apology for the alleged incident and said it
had banned a fan identified by Duke from all BYU Athletic venues.

But weeks later, the university backtracked when its probe was completed.

“From our extensive review, we have not found any evidence to corroborate
the allegation that fans engaged in racial heckling or uttered racial
slurs at the event,” a BYU statement read. “As we stated earlier, we would
not tolerate any conduct that would make a student-athlete feel unsafe.
That is the reason for our immediate response and our thorough
investigation.

“As a result of our investigation, we have lifted the ban on the fan who
was identified as having uttered racial slurs during the match. We have
not found any evidence that that individual engaged in such an activity.
BYU sincerely apologizes to that fan for any hardship the ban has caused.”

The university said its review included looking at “all available video
and audio recordings, including security footage and raw footage from all
camera angles taken by BYUtv of the match, with broadcasting audio removed
(to ensure that the noise from the stands could be heard more clearly).

“We also reached out to more than 50 individuals who attended the event:
Duke athletic department personnel and student-athletes, BYU athletic
department personnel and student-athletes, event security and management
and fans who were in the arena that evening, including many of the fans in
the on-court student section,” the BYU statement continued.

Duke University’s athletic director, Nina King, quickly issued a statement
standing by Richardson and the rest of her team.

“The 18 members of the Duke University volleyball team are exceptionally
strong women who represent themselves, their families, and Duke University
with the utmost integrity,” she said after BYU issued its statement.

“We unequivocally stand with and champion them, especially when their
character is called into question. Duke Athletics believes in respect,
equality and inclusiveness, and we do not tolerate hate and bias.”

The Post’s attempts to reach Richardson and her godmother Thursday were
unsuccessful.

--
"LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
recover with no after effects.

ballots. Report voter fraud: sf.n...@mail.house.gov

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.