YOUTH DEVELOPMENTAL ENTERPRISES

Steve Carrell

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
In article <4f5tcq$k...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
tlb...@aol.com (TLBCLB) wrote:
>For 20 years Youth Developmental Enterprises has operated
a program for
>teens in Hawaii, picking pineapple...
> ...Ross Olsen, the founder of the program
>was just about totally destroyed financially by the
demise....
>Thoughts?

In 1974 I spent the summer on Lanai picking pineapple. We
worked hard, played hard and had a lot of fun. In my
group, we all got along pretty well. I don't recall any
major problems. It was a "development" experience for me.
I learned how to work hard, work with a team, and to be
independent (away from home). If I had to be a teenager
again (perish the thought) I would go to Hawaii with YDE
again without hesitation.

I am disappointed to hear about YDE's demise. Perhaps an
alternative such as you mentioned would work. Many
obstacles would need to be overcome, finding legal aliens
for one, since many migrant workers are not here legally.

Steve Carrell

TLBCLB

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
Illegal aliens are part of the problem, not the solution.

The problem is that in the past the Pineapple companies have provided the
funding to transport the youth to Hawaii and then have been paid back
during the year.

If Y.D.E were to ever exist again they would have to have their own
independent funding base. The law requires that when youth participate in
such a program that their return airfare be pre arranged. Hence Y.D.E.
must pay for a round trip charter. They must pay for this charter long
before individual youth pay their share. The Pineapple Company no longer
has the cash reserves to upfront this expense to Y.D.E. Further, Y.D.E.
would be in a much better position to carry out its program if it could
lease the housing facilities from the Pineapple Company rather than allow
the Pineapple Company to take payments out of the youth's paychecks.

A Hawaii Program would be possible IF Y.D.E. had a source of funding other
than the pineapple company or Ross. Every year of the program's operation
Ross not only had to arrange for a float from the pineaple company but
also kept taking out a mortage on his home. So when there were two years
of failure with the program everything he and his family owned went on the
line.

Both Ross and I attempted to find grants, support, and funding of all
kinds. We even thought that possibly there might be some assistance from
the LDS Church Farm Program. But that simply did not come through and the
program died. THE BASIC PROBLEM IS NOTHING BUT FINANCES.

In our culture we are willing to pay for the ambulance at the bottom of
the hill but we are not willing to build a fence at the top of the cliff.
The Y.D.E. program worked best as a prevention program, not as
rehabilitation. It helped strengthen youth and prepare them for life..
It is badly needed right now, but alas, it does not exist any longer.

Dr. Burnham
Dr. Lee Burnham
Rocky Mountain Center for Human Development
Rocky Mountain Aquatics
Aspen Therapy Center
TLB...@AOL.COM

David

Jan 3, 2005, 6:08:34 AM1/3/05

Dear Sirs:

I was a student of pineapple pickers, of Ross Olsen with his various
lessons on life-coping skills, and a brotherhood of young men who went
for it. In 1977 our group, LaVerle Crosby's gang, started out as a
mottled band of misfits. One day we decided to go for it, meaning go
for Maui Land and Pineapple Company's field picking record. We picked
144 tons of pineapple in 8 hours. We had the Cat driver on our side,
company truck drivers on our side, and the company loved and even
fueled our enthusiasm to break our backs and break the company record.
It was one of those moments when we knew we were a team, and despite
our differences, we came up with a common goal - to win and break the
picking record. The fast pickers helped the slow pickers, the truck
drivers came to us priority, the cat driver (I still have his picture)
cheered us on, and he was a local, company man not often warmed to the
presence of our groups from Y.D.E. However, when he saw our resolve,
he caught the air of enthusiasm and joined in the participation, and of
us breaking an already incredible record. It was hard. We were on
sharp schedules, with a truck with a 12-13 ton compacity arriving every
15 minutes.

My point: It was one of the most uplifting experiences I have ever
had. We started out as misfits and we ended up heros. Once you've
seen the difference in yourself, you can never go back to anything less
than a hero. You just apply yourself to what you're doing as though
you are strong enough to take it on. And then you just do it - with
enthusiasm, knowing those who understand what it is you are trying to
do is a goal of the spirit and of the highest order.

The following year (1978) I went back with to Maui Land and Pine. This
time with Harrison's group. And again, we broke the record we set the
year before in LaVerle Crosby's gang.

It is moments like these that alter the path of a young man unsure of
his direction, to go where his efforts are appreciated the most, to
band together with a team who works for common goals, and everyone does
his fair share, based on phyiscal ability of course. However, many
lacking ability on the two above-mentioned incidents rose to the
occasion because of the sheer excitement and teamwork demonstrated.
All other prejudices, personal or otherwise, were put aside.

if this serves as nothing more than a testiment to the brilliance of
that which Ross Olsen set out to acheive, I will have served purpose;
however, there is another purpose. Don't...give...up! That's what
those young, exhausted, dirt-caked field workers didn't do. They knew
the road was long, they surrounded themselve with supporters, even if
it meant there own brothren, and they went for it.

How is Ross these days? I remember many firesides along side him. A
warm and kind man with a trusting manner, the likes of which are seldom
seen dealing with our youth today. Ross told it like it was - like a
parent would tell his children. He even said "No!" sometimes.

I love the memories I have, and the fondness I feel for Mr. Olson,
LaVerle Crosby, Jim Disbakis, and Mr. Harrison will be past onto my
grandchildren, along with pictures and tales of them all. Behold, the
manner in which legends are made and past onto generation after
generation, line upon line, precept on precept.
Sincerely,

David Walloch
mrsc...@mac.com

Posted January 3, 2005

mauichev...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2015, 2:57:01 PM4/29/15
I worked at the napilihau pineapple camp for 11 months during 1992. I believe it was the final year of operation. I moved back to Maui permanently in 1995, and YDE was already gone. The old camp is now a private school, "Maui Prep Academy".

Picking pineapple was the hardest job I've ever done. However, I love Maui
Message has been deleted

Jay

Mar 24, 2023, 12:10:36 AM3/24/23
> Posted January 3, 2005

WHO CARES how fatt Ross is? I DON'T!! I nearly got killed on his stupid Youth Developmental Enterprises. I have massive lifelong injuries over it. He lied to my parents about me being in the hospital.. He is a worthless F and PoS!!! He should have GIVEN UP after he lost Hawaii. Stupid, greedy, old fool refused and I have to live with the consequences. (All your brothers got to go to Hawaii, sorry but you get to go to humid horrible S. Carolina!) Ross, if I EVER see you again, I will ROB YOU BLIND and it will be a CIVIL MATTER!! You KNOW who this is! I would piss on your grave someday.