Re: 21

Jay McCarthy

Dec 7, 2011, 1:30:11 PM12/7/11
to Sanjeev KC, byu-cs-jm-142-Fall-2011
Try looking at the due dates next to the exercises:

http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~jay/courses/2011/fall/142/course/21.html

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Sanjeev KC <sanjeep...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jay
when is the Assignment 21 due??

Sanjeep

--
Jay McCarthy <j...@cs.byu.edu>
http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~jay

Jay McCarthy

Dec 9, 2011, 2:47:27 PM12/9/11
to John Steagall, byu-cs-jm-142-Fall-2011
On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM, John Steagall <swimme...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jay-
Just to make sure.

1. Write an essay of about 800 words about what the process of
programming is. Walking through an example problem might work. If you
need one, try "You are about to go to the temple, but FamilySearch is
down; how can you use a program to organize your ancestors into
categories based on what ordinances need to be done for them, starting
with the closest (dead over a year) relatives first. Make a data
definition and describe which functions you’d need."
This means explain exactly what you would write and what the program
would do.  it doesn't have to be the program you tell us there we
could make up our own if we wanted.  but the main idea is telling what
kind of functions you would use and how C++ would use what you take
and actually what it is doing with it.

Not exactly, you don't need to talk about any programs at all if you don't want and you don't need to think about any particular program. I am just interested in what happens *in your brain* when you program. If you need to think about a program to answer that, then please do.

2. Write an essay of about 800 words about how the programming process
can generalize and apply in a non-programming setting.
this means show how the process of programming applies to us in real
life what kind of things we do everyday that we use the process of
programming.  this would use things you do every day and apply it to
the functions that we used in class.

these seem a little general so I'm guessing that if the main idea of
the process is right then we get it right.

Ya, apply the process you talked about in #1 to something else.

Jay

Mallory M

Dec 9, 2011, 6:37:15 PM12/9/11
to byu-cs-jm-142-Fall-2011
So just to be 100% positive, on 12.1 we write about our personal
programming process (what goes on in our brain while we program) and
not a process you taught us and are looking specifically for?

Jay McCarthy

Dec 9, 2011, 6:47:00 PM12/9/11
to byu-cs-jm-1...@googlegroups.com
Correct. Obviously I hope they are the same, but write about what you do :)